Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize Band-C (Second Generation)

The second-generation Realize Band (Realize Band-C) was FDA approved in October 2008 and first placed in late-November 2008. I'm having this new version of the Realize Band placed January 26th. Does anyone here have the Realize Band-C yet?

I saw it today in my pre-op class and was able to compare it to the old Realize Band. Visually it looks to be much improved over the old version. Not sure if it is more effective for weight-loss.

There is little difference in excess weight loss - only about 30-40% at 3 years vs 62% with the Lapband. This is another J&J marketing gimmick. This product is actually called the Swedish Band -VC in Europe in a new Box with a new name. Although it is pre-curved when it hits the 9cc mark it turns into a triangle, exactly like the other one and creases in 3 spots which can crack and leak over time, just like the original. (My doctor has a sample and we tested this out). It holds 11cc, still 3cc short of the LapBAnd APL. Also, they attached the port tubing at a very weird angle, it doesn't lay flat on the band, that's a concern as well because silicone doesn't like being bent as much as it doesnt like creases.

In a study of over 800 patients of the original Swedish Band known as the Realize band in the US, they switched to this one in the middle of the study because of leak problems with the original Realize Band. This band is barely equal in design to the first generation lapbands that came out in 2001. There are no pouches or indentations to prevent creases from occuring.

I hope your doctor should explained all this to you, especially the potential for crease-fold failure. and please be carefull if he says "I havent seen any problems" becuase the Realize band hasnt been out long enough in the US for most problems to occur. Unless he practiced overseas for the last 15 years, there isnt enough experience to say that.

Im not saying you shouldnt get it, but you are entitled as a patient to know everything about this imlant that you wil have for the rest of your life. Once its in, your committed. Do your due dilgence and research and do not just get any band or procedure cause your doctor says its the same thing.

Rockbandster, as you have told many posters before when they questioned your claims, you don't have a clue. My surgeon is Dr. Jaime Ponce, who was on the original trials for the Realize Band (he places both types of bands based on the patient's choice) and he was the first surgeon to place the Realize Band in the U.S. No offense, but I think I would trust his judgement over some anonymous poster. And I doubt that you have even seen the new band, much less tested it with your doctor (doesn't he have better things to do?) since it has only been out for a few weeks. Yes, there are no "pouches" in the inflation band (it is completely smooth), but there is no way that the band I saw yesterday could crease. I specifically asked about it not holding as much volume as the Lap-Band, and they told me that they have never had a problem with not getting restriction with the Realize Band (and the Gastric Band Institute has placed literally thousands of bands). There is also no "weird port angle" on the tubing. Until you can back up your claims about the crease-fold failure with objective (not anectdotal "I tested it with my doctor") documentation from medical sources, we can safely assume that you just have a serious grudge against Johnson & Johnson and ignore everything you say.

The issue is whether or not it creases when it is surrounding the stomach. What it does when it isn't surrounding anything doesn't matter.

dude its your body..as long as you are aware of the risks...that's the only point Im trying to make. You should be aware..The pharmaceutical companies have to disclose everything, the med device companies should as well

all good bro...Ive been through the surgery, it was not walk in the park for me..just want to make sure people know the real deal and not to get caught up in marketing and certainly do not believe everything your doctor tells you. Many have alterior motives.

all good bro...Ive been through the surgery, it was not walk in the park for me..just want to make sure people know the real deal and not to get caught up in marketing and certainly do not believe everything your doctor tells you. Many have alterior motives.

Fortunately, we have Rockbandster to tell us the facts so we don't have to trust our docs. Where would we be without him?

hEY bASS Riley

I can't believe you have lost 102 lbs from September to now. It took me 1 year to lose 84 lbs. Please tell your secrets and keep up the good work!!

hEY bASS Riley

I can't believe you have lost 102 lbs from September to now. It took me 1 year to lose 84 lbs. Please tell your secrets and keep up the good work!!

Haven't lost it all since September. My weight at surgery was 275, so I've lost 75 pounds since September. The other weight I lost getting ready for surgery. Basically, though, I weight all of my food to make sure I never eat more than 4 ounces at a time and always have lean Proteins, whole grains, etc. No Desserts at all since August except for 1/2 cup of sugar free pudding every day. Basically, I'm pretty maniacal about following the rules.

But 84 pounds is phenomenal no matter how long it's taken! You don't have to race anybody but yourself!

But 84 pounds is phenomenal no matter how long it's taken! You don't have to race anybody but yourself!

Amen. Also, look at % of excess weight loss, not absolute pounds. The absolute pounds will be impacted by how much you have to lose so I can lose 5 lb. and someone else can lose 10 lb. but we can both have lost the percentage of excess weight.

I was one of the first patients to receive the Realize-C band from Dr. Trace Curry on Nov. 24, 2008. I'm on my second fill now and I have had no complications whatsoever, and my experience with the Realize-C has clearly been superior to the others in my support group, including those who have the first generation Realize. I have yet to have anything stuck and my tolerances for types of foods are greater than anyone else in our group. About the only thing I have trouble with is pita bread. And no PBs thus far.

Perhaps the only downside is that a gastric band is to assist in behavior modification, which includes negative reinforcement when you're not eating the right things. I really haven't experienced any downsides yet, so I do eat things I shouldn't. As you can see with my ticker below, weight loss hasn't been a problem.