Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op: If you had it to do over again?

I am 40 days from having my surgery (after a year of jumping through hoops).

I humbly seek the wisdom of the collective: If you had it to do over again, what would you be doing right now to make it go better?

What would you be eating? Diet? Exercise? Mental adjustments?

Did you go on a last tour of culinary pleasures?

My doc says no diet until 10 days before to shrink liver.

I have been looking forward to this, but I will admit now that I have a date, I am freaking out just a little.

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have only been banded for a week so I know what I want to do to make this process go the way I want it to. That is exercise and eat right.

As far as "last suppers" I don't think I went crazy at all bc it is not like you are never going to eat again. You are just not going to be able to tolerate certain things and quite frankly why would you want to eat something that is going to cause you discomfort. Not to mention that the more you gain now the more you have to lose.

Stuffing my face is what got me here to begin with and with taking this step by getting banded I am admitting to myself that I know this has to stop.

Good Luck to you!!

There are 2 things I'd do differently, if I could.

1. I'd follow my doc's instructions to the LETTER for my first preop diet, instead of thinking that because other people cheated and "got away with it", I could. I lost 15 pounds but my liver was still too thick

MOST important:

2. I'd have done this MUCH MUCH sooner! :rolleyes:

Great question.

Wow. There are many options on that one.

If my situation were exactly the same, with the exception that I knew exactly what the pains, the lifestyle changes, etc., that came with the surgery, Yes... I would still do it, because I did it for my wife and our relationship together. It makes her happy, and it gives us a better chance for a long life together.

But without that single factor, I must add that I have been very happy as a fat man. I was respected, even though I have no doubt that, at 400+ pounds, I faced some prejudgements on peoples part. My work was respected, and when I would sing, or preach, or do my graphic work or whatever, people knew I was not the stereotypical fat man. Overall, life is good, with or without weight.

But it is better with Lisa, and I am happy for my decision.

So yes, I would make the same decision again if all things remained the same. If things were different, I can only speculate that I would be much more hesitant.

I had many "Last Suppers" until the first day of the pre-op diet then I followed the diet as instructed. On the first day of the pre-op diet I also quit my beloved Diet Pepsi. For many it may have been too much to start the diet and quit soda/caffeine cold turkey but I am an "all or nothing" type person so that is how I did it. The night before surgery I smoked my last cigarette and have not touched another one since. The pre-op diet was very hard and I wouldn't want to have to go through it again but would in a heartbeat. I have absolutely no regrets on any of the above.

My advice is always to relax, start and follow the diet as prescribed, take it one day at a time and you will be fine.

I was one of the folks that did infact go on a last tour of culinary pleasures. Hit all the best Dallas restaurants before my pre-op diet started. As for what i would of done differently. I would have to say i should of started a more regimented exercise program sooner than i did. And as for suggestions the number one thing would be to FOLLOW YOUR POST-OP DIET RULES to insure that you let yourself and your band heal properly.

My First baniversary date is Jan 18,08. I pretty much followed the doc's rules for pre-op. I was scared if I did not, something serious might happen. I did follow post-op to a tee as well. I was off pain medicine except for the nightime dose at bedtime after 5 days., Only way I could drive. Back to work on day 7. I was given a strict exercise regime for the pre-op as well. In a two week period(while on pre-op diet) we were to exercise and work up to 60 minutes for day before the surgery. So I hit it hard and nothing for 3 days, then back to walking on day 4. Seemed to work great. Doc would not allow any slacking at this point. Things sorta transpired in stages the first few months, evenb the shoulder gas pains, this too shall pass, you will work through it. I don't think I would change a single thing. Had only minor issues with PBing and getting stuck, you learn fast what NOT to do. I am 10-15 lbs form goal. Exercise/cardio twice a day, feel great. Hang in there all you new bandsters!!:rolleyes:

I lost about 15 lbs before my pre-op diet started but gained a lot of it back the last week before the diet :rolleyes: If I had to do it over again, I would not have let myself eat "whatever and whenever" that last week since I had to lose it all over again.

The one thing I wish I had been more prepared for - the pain the first couple of days after surgery. I kept reading all these stories about how easy it was and how they were up and back at work in a couple of days. Yeah. Not everyone is that lucky. It may not be that easy - worth it in the long run - heck yeah, but not necessarily pain free.

I also wish I had brought in a better supply of liquids for the first week after surgery. I still can't smell chicken broth without gagging.

I had a whole week of "Last Meals" before the pre-op diet. I'm sure the doctors are used to dealing with it. The clinic I went through wasn't surprised at all when I gained 5 lbs. Honestly, I don't think I'd change that. Even months later I can remember that uncomfortably full, almost sick, feeling I had most of that week and don't in any way want to repeat it!

Good luck with your surgery. The 40 days will fly by.

I second what Karen added. At the time of joining this site I read nothing but encouraging comments about having the surgery and bouncing right back. I have a high pain tolerance so I went into surgery thinking it would be a piece of cake. But I had some pretty severe pain for three days, I was not able to lie down in bed for a week and it took almost a week before I felt well enough to go back to my desk job. The port incision pain improved from day to day but it lasted around three weeks. I remember lying on the couch on day two in tears thinking "What did I do to myself!??!". I can now say without a doubt that it was all very much worth it but I wish I would have been better prepared for the pain.