Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you tell people?

I have my surgery date set for Feb. 2nd and I am super excited. I am a pretty private person when it comes to my weight and health and I was wondering if anyone had an excuse for what kind of surgery you were having. I was planning on telling some of my friends that I had some kind of surgery but, I'm not interested in telling people about the band. Of course my family and close friends know, but I am talking about the people at work. I want to have some kind of excuse for missing work and having scars (in a bathing suit). So basically, my question is, what kind of surgery seems reasonable to tell people I am having? Has anyone else done this? Maybe I'm being ridiculous but it's a personal choice. Good luck to everyone!!!:)

We are having surgery on the same day! I am very open with everyone about my surgery, however I understand your want to be private.

You can tell them you are having a gall bladder removal - recovery and scars are similar. However keep in mind these people are around u 8 hours a day and will begin to notice the weight change and change in eating habits and may put 2 & 2 together.

Good luck with your surgery!

As you weight drops you might what to think about saying:

I am watching my portions, eating healthier, and working out more. All of which will be true. Not everyone needs every detail.

I have my surgery date set for Feb. 2nd and I am super excited. I am a pretty private person when it comes to my weight and health and I was wondering if anyone had an excuse for what kind of surgery you were having. I was planning on telling some of my friends that I had some kind of surgery but, I'm not interested in telling people about the band. Of course my family and close friends know, but I am talking about the people at work. I want to have some kind of excuse for missing work and having scars (in a bathing suit). So basically, my question is, what kind of surgery seems reasonable to tell people I am having? Has anyone else done this? Maybe I'm being ridiculous but it's a personal choice. Good luck to everyone!!!:)

I didn't tell anyone at work and don't really plan to. And the scars are minimal so unless you're wearing a bikini I don't see how anyone would even see your scars.

As for weightloss, it's pretty gradual. If you were having bypass you'd probably have a harder time hiding your weight loss, but with the band it's not so terribly dramatic that you couldn't get away with telling folks you're watching your portions and exercising, especially if you start making changes now.

Thanks for your responses everyone (some good advise)! That's cool that we are having surgery the same day dolphanatic! I am so excited, I can't wait to just get the surgery over with!

I am having surgery Jan 21st. I was out last Friday for about 4 hours. When I got back to work a director (not my boss) gave me grief for being out b/c they needed me to answer a question. I just told him I was at the hospital for the past 4 hours having some diagnostic testing and that I wasn't out having fun. I could tell he felt bad so he left me alone the remainder of the day.

I currently have no plans to share with my co-workers that I have the band as I too am pretty private with my weight issues. Since the loss isn't as fast as gastric I plan to pass it off as normal weightloss unless I decide different later. I thought about saying gall bladder too but I am only going to be out 3 days so I am going to pass it off as vacation.

I had a hernia repaired at the same time as my band so 2 weeks ago. All my co workers just think I fixed the bulge in the belly button. The band is as private as you want it to be remember it's yours. :)

I too am very private about my weight loss surgery. My family members and a few very close friends know about the band. Only one coworker knows about my surgery. My sister came to town to help me so I just told people I was taking vacation time.

We have a number of people participating in a Biggest Loser type weight loss challenge. Its easy to say I'm just watching my weight, trying to work on better eating habits, etc. I did tell one person I'm working with a nutritionist which is true.

Best wishes to you for your surgery.

I took the day of surgery off as a vacation day; had the surgery on the Friday, was back to work on the Monday, and no one knew - not then, or now.

As for my gradual weight loss, if someone was brazen enough to comment, I would say I work out a minimum of 4 days a week and I watch what I eat; all true.

I would try to just side step the question because I hate to have to lie about anything.

I guess if you have to lie just tell them that you had a hernia surgery or gallbladder.

The weight you can tell them that you're just controlling the portions that you eat and exercising to get healthy because after having surgery you have to get healthy.

I told them I was having some stomach issues resolved and left it at that. For the most part, people just assumed I was having my gallbladder removed. Then when I REALLY had my gallbladder removed 9 months later, I could see the gears spinning and them trying to figure it out. But some insensitive person announced my surgery to a room full of people at a luncheon here at work. I was livid. The cat was out of the bag then, so now everyone knows.....

I chose to not tell my co-worker because I did not want anyone saying anything negative (you know they love to do that). I had told my boss, then I said what the heck and I emailed the office telling them that it was a matter of me living and my grandson said he did not want me to die. So I am having the surgery and I also asked that they be supportive. I would love to see them have this done so I did not want to keep it from anyone here. We are a very small law office of four people. All over weight, I say we are a large firm! So, when I am successful perhaps they will do something also. As for anyone else, I will tell them when they ask. I have no reason to not share what I have found.