Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP ME! Pre-op diet and migraine!!

I am scheduled to have my surgery on Wednesday and I've put myself on a pre-op diet of full liquids. My surgeon's requirement is that we do a low carb, high Protein diet until the day before and then Clear Liquids 1 day pre op and then nothing the day of surgery. Since Wednesday, I've been slowly replacing my meals with a Protein Shake, mainly to practice for after surgery. By this weekend, I was totally on full liquids and SF/FF pudding. Amazingly, I've been taking in right about 1000 calories or so each day and not really hungry thanks to the Body Fortress whey Protein Powder shakes. Today, though, I woke up and my stomach was so nauseous that I couldn't eat. I was packing my lunch of cottage cheese and Simply fruit strawberry spread and was gagging the whole time. I ended up only eating SF Jello for lunch and now I've got a Migraine from HELL! (I get them quite often). Could it be the diet? Should I eat "real" food to make it go away, since technically I'm allowed?

I don't know if this helps but my Mom gets Migraines from anything sugar free, you said you get them often, so i thought I would throw that out.

My surgery isn't scheduled yet, but I've read on here that people feel pretty crappy on the pre-op diet. Since your doctor applows low-carb, i would make up some chicken and veggies and see if that helps?

Good luck.

I had the same problem. It was awful, finally I figured it had to be the diet so I ate 1 egg, and 1 slice of whole wheat bread. Almost instantly my headache went away! I just needed that little bit of "real food" and then I was fine for the rest of my pre-op diet. I still lost 14 lbs. on the pre-op diet, and my surgeon was more than happy with that. Hope that helps!

I agree that it could be sugar substitutes if you are eating a lot more than you typically would. Caffeine can also be a culprit if you were used to a certain level and then cut it out. I have an awful Migraine from cutting out the caffeine on the day of surgery . . . and there was not a darn thing I could do about it.

I suffer terrible Migraines. Take Topamax to help control them and Fiorinal when I get one. When I went on my pre-op diet I had a terrible Migraine that lasted for about 5 days. I couldn't take my medicine because it contains asprin so called the doctor and they said I was going thru withdrawal from caffeine and sodium. Other than make sure you get your nutrients and protien there wasn't much I could do until it passed. Amazingly post op I felt great, my body got used to it and now I don't drink any caffeine and watch my sodium and have only had one migraine in the last month. (I average 1 every week)

I have Migraines, used to have them 3 to 4 times a week. I have greatly reduced the number and intensity of my migraines by avoiding triggers:

Fake sugar (all kinds for some people, Aspartame for most)

MSG

Citrus

chocolate

Caffiene

Nitrates and Nitrites

Aged cheese

Alcohol

Bananas

Nuts

Processed foods like bacon, sausage, hot dogs

You don't have to eliminate everything forever, but the book I read recommends eliminating everything that might be a trigger for 1 to 3 months, then adding back things one at a time to see where you're triggers are. Triggers are cummulative, so sometimes you can have chocolate, and be fine, but for me, if the weather is bad, one cookie will push me over the edge into a Migraine. If you're interested, the book is Heal Your Headache.

I have told my nut I can't eat fake sugar because of the migraines and she scoffed, so she wasn't helpful. But someone on the forum suggested that we (those with migraine issues) advise the hospital of the fake sugar 'allergy' at checkin and whenever discussing allergies.

If you don't want to go all the way with all the possible migraine triggers... try eliminating the fake sugar. I had fake sugar by accident and got a migrain in less than 30 minutes. It's my worst trigger.

Good luck! Hope the headaches cease.