Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having a hard time staying hydrated. Maybe I took my doc's advice a bit too literally, but by the time I stop drinking half an hour before, and wait 2 hours after a meal to drink again, I'm dying of thirst. The problem, of course, is I cannot then chug a glass of Water. By the time I get a glass in, it's time to eat again. (I've given up on 5 small meals a day because of this, and am shooting for 3-4).

Does anyone else have this problem? Does everyone wait 2 hours, or do you take a test sip, and if you're fine you continue drinking?

I just don't know how to get more water in. I'm really thirsty, but I'm more afraid of vomiting, so I don't want to just start drinking. I'm 6 weeks out, and thought that I'd have a system or routine down, but this is something I'm still struggling with.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I don't really have an answer as I'm 6 days out from banding but I'm interested in seeing the answers. This is going to be my downfall. I'm so used to guzzling a drink when I eat I'm not sure how I'm going to handle not drinking and eating.

I talked to the dietitian yesterday said 30 min post meal. But yea, 2 hours is too long. You can also do ice chips or small sips if your "dying".

I tried the waiting as well and I couldn't get my Water in...let me tell you...when your body starts showing you signs of dehydration...it's not good. So I told my doc...sorry but I am cutting down the time at meals to drink and oh by the way...using a straw at times to get Water in my faster. He laughed and said it was fine...just to watch myself for anything out of the ordinary. I drink all water except I have 20 oz. of gatorade to keep things in balance...he okayed that too...

But every doctor is different!!

Good luck!

Check to confirm that restriction with your doctor. It's dated advice. They "used" to think you had to wait HOURS but new data shows you don't....my surgeon recently revised his rules from 1 hour pre and post to 15 minutes pre and post. So do what your surgeon suggests, of course, but reverify with him.

Wow 2-hours after a meal is extreme. My doctor allows us to drink right before a meal, and I have to wait at least 1-hour after a meal.

Call your doctor for clarification.

wow thats a long time i have always been told 30 min pre and 30 mins post. keep us posted

Same here, and although sometimes I wait a bit longer after I don't think I could wait 2 hours after a meal.

Sue

I would double check with your doc. That really seems extreme.

My instructions are about the same as the other posters. Stop drinking 15min before and start up again 1 hour after. Sometimes I will go 45min if I am dying of thirst. I have found that if I am not hydrated it is really hard to go the full hour after.

I agree with Joe my doc said the same thing 30min before meals stop drinking and 30 min.after a meal.I sometimes find my self going longer than 30 min.after unless I eat a lot of garlic.I'm 7 months out.Good Luck!

Thank you guys for all your answers. I know 2 hours sounds extreme, but I swear they scared it into me in my pre-op classes!

I'm going to cut it down, especially since most of your doctors have told you 30 mins is fine. I was just (am just?) really worried about making myself sick, but I guess if I can take a drink and feel fine, then there's no problem continuing to drink that soon afterwards. As for pre-meals, I've been drinking up until I eat.

Also, I wanted to ask my doc this, but maybe you guys know... Why can't we drink from a straw exactly? Something about gas? Who knows. I don't prefer a straw, but I still didn't get why we can't use one EVER AGAIN.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer me. I feel better knowing that a majority of you aren't having a problem with way less time drinking after meals, so I won't worry about waiting so long! Maybe now I'll stay hydrated!

I have been banded since October 2007. My best advice to you is this: Refrain from drinking 15-20 prior to meal and 30 minutes after meal. IF you are extremely thristy it is okay to have a few sips of Water during the after-meal-waiting-period. That being said every chance you get in between meals make sure you stay hydrated. It helps in losing weight.

If you are going to drink up to just prior to eating then I would wait at least an hour after eating to drink.