Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how do you deal with temptation?

My son's third birthday party is next Sunday. We are actully taking him out to dinner tomorrow for his actual birthday but the restaurant is not my concern (I already know what I am going to order). For his party we are doing pizza and wings. And of course there will be chips and dip. How do you fight off temptation? This will be my first "big event" with food and the band and I am looking for tips on how you avoid the evils. That was always my biggest problem, if I see food, I eat it. I dont want to follow the same path and I am trying to mentally prepare myself for next weekend.

Temptation is hard no doubt about it. My way to deal with it is to have what i want BUT only one or two bites of it. That way i feel like i have enjoyed what was available and did not deprive myself. I have learned that one or two bites is just as satifying.

My advice is to fix yourself a plate of Snacks (crackers, cheese, soft meat, etc.) and grt some sugarfree gum. The gum really helps me. And remember, everything in moderation. If you can tolerate pizza, why not have half a slice?

I agree, we got the surgery to help us with Portion Control, not to always be denying ourselves. I would suggest putting a couple of bites of what you want on a plate and then MOVE AWAY from the food table! It is very dangerous to stand near the food table! Then keep yourself busy with the party! I did this at Christmas parties and it was great. I got to have a little bit, didn't feel deprived and didn't feel guilty!! You can do it!!

Seminar July 2008

Surgery Nov. 2008

Pre-op weight: 280

Weight now: 249

My advice is to fix yourself a plate of Snacks (crackers, cheese, soft meat, etc.) and grt some sugarfree gum. The gum really helps me. And remember, everything in moderation. If you can tolerate pizza, why not have half a slice?

Yikes I don't know about you but my doctors and nurses said NO GUM EVER, if it gets stuck in the pouch it's terrible.

My son's third birthday party is next Sunday. We are actully taking him out to dinner tomorrow for his actual birthday but the restaurant is not my concern (I already know what I am going to order). For his party we are doing pizza and wings. And of course there will be chips and dip. How do you fight off temptation? This will be my first "big event" with food and the band and I am looking for tips on how you avoid the evils. That was always my biggest problem, if I see food, I eat it. I dont want to follow the same path and I am trying to mentally prepare myself for next weekend.

Well honestly when I know I cannot stop at just a bite or two of something I just don't eat it period, for me that is the best way - however, some people do just fine with the bite or two and can move on.

I am like you, I use to see food and feel as though I had to have it, the one thing that I have finally realized is that I can have it but do I really want it? What will it lead to? Will I be satisfied with one or two bites?

I can't eat anything doughy whatsoever and if I do try (and let me tell you I tried to work around it lol) I get stuck horribly - so now in the case of pizza I peel the cheese and veggies off and eat those and leave the crust behind.

I would do as others have suggested and perhaps take a bite or two if you know your limits, if not then pack a little goody bag for yourself that is portion controlled :regular_smile: Plus if you do ok with chicken (I do not sadly) you could peel skin off of the wings and have some chicken?

Good luck! :cool:

I was banded the 26th of November, 3 days after you, and I actually had teh same thing happen for a New Years Eve dinner party. The way I dealt with it was to find out exactly what was being served, which it looks like you already know this. Then, I decided in advance of getting there exactly what I would eat and how much. Then there were no surprises. I also had a Protein shake about an hour before the dinner, so I would not be as hungry. It seemed to help.

Good Luck! And remember, it's just one party. If you do indulge a bit too much, do an extra hours walking and don't beat yourself up over it. But I know you can do it! And don't forget to enjoy the party, too!!!

Yikes I don't know about you but my doctors and nurses said NO GUM EVER, if it gets stuck in the pouch it's terrible.

I got a binder with all kinds of info in it. One page wat called fighting bad breath, and sugerless gum was recommended. You don't swallow the gum- just chew it. When I am done, I spit it out.

I chew sugarless gum all the time. I don't have an issue with swallowing it. I have never swallowed gum in all my life.

I have to say that I have occasionally taken an appetite suppressant when I have a big occasion coming up

which lasts for hours and has temptations everywhere.

For the most part, I sip Water and keep repeating in my brain " nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"

You're 18 days post op...how far will you be when you have the pizza party? AND more importantly, what stage diet will you be on, per your post op instructions? MOST important is that you follow your doctor's guidelines on that.

IF you are cleared for all food, then have some pizza and/or a wing or two. IF you avoid the chips and dip, and eat and chew VERY slowly (per bandster rules) with no liquid before, during etc per your doc's orders, you may surprise yourself to find you are full much more quickly, eat much less, etc.

Some will be HORRIFIED that I say eat Pizza but I guess it depends on your lifestyle. You're young; you're not going to go the rest of your life without pizza or a chicken wing or GASP a brownie or some such! The band is for life; it's not a diet. As one friend of mine puts it (who is losing weight like there is a sale on!) "I did NOT have surgery to eat cardboard". So quit thinking "temptation, evil, bad". Just have a little. You'll feel happy and proud of yourself.

The band puts YOU in control, not the pizza.

And one WARNING: Many docs say "NO GUM"...because once you have restriction, if you do swallow it, it can get stuck. Then you have a trip to the ER to have it removed. Not worth the trouble. And even if you NEVER swallow it, sometimes we forget and do. Just have some pizza. You won't go to hell or gain 100 pounds, really.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

That is a really goof point. I didn't notice the surgery date.

It would seem like that won't be much past the surgery date. Some doctors do move people to food must faster than my surgeon. He insists we should be on a liquid diet for 4 weeks post surgery to make sure the adhesions are formed which will keep the band from ever slipping.

I have no willpower - that is why I chose the lapband - to at least help me with Portion Control. I was faced with cake at work 1 day - I had a piece - it took me an hour to eat it - at least all I had was the 1 piece. I don't have the bottomless pit in my stomach like I used to. I am making a conscious effort to choose healthier meals but I can't '"forbid" myself to stay away from the bad foods - it just makes me want them more.

You can make sure you are FULL before you leave the house. That will keep you in control.

I am not allowed to eat for half an hour after drinking so I keep my water bottle handy and I keep sipping which reminds me that I can't have anything to eat. If I really want something I know I have to wait half an hour and by that time the craving is usually gone. Good luck

Ditto what a lot of the others have said. I was on very soft foods at week 3 so no way could I have had anything other than maybe the dip for the chips! You need to be following your surgeon's guidelines. If he has you on regular food by then, I'd say eat what you want.

New Year's Eve, I was worried b/c I knew there was going to be junk. Heck we were bringing some if it! BUT what happened is that even tho I had what I wanted and felt like I ate all night long, in reality, that's just not what happened. I did eat what I wanted, BUT I didn't chow down all night long and my portions were WAY smaller than last year's were! I was shocked! I had been worried about not being able to control myself or to stop when I needed too. I shouldn't have been worried. I did fine. Didn't feel too good on Thursday tho b/c I'm not used to eating that crap anymore.

Every major food event makes me a little nervous. Just b/c each one is different and now new. But as I go thru these and do fairly well, I get less nervous. I just literally can't eat the volume that I used to. I physically just can't do it.

I got banded to help me be normal again. It's working. I WANT to be able to eat crap once in awhile. I want to be able to look at a whole cake and know I can have a small piece and be satisfied with it, instead of not being satisfied til I EAT the whole cake! I eat pizza. I love pizza. I am not going to stop eating pizza. I used to eat pizza several times a week and at least 4 pieces at one sitting. Now I eat it, at most, once a week (more like about every 2 weeks) and I can only manage 1 piece. Maybe 1/2 of another but I'm actually just eating the toppings! Oh and I never eat the outside edge of the crust. I'll eat the bottom but not the edge, that's just the handle for me now.

Also, this is your son's b-day party. I know at my DD's parties, I don't get much of a chance to eat. She's pretty young tho so maybe it's different with older kids.

Most importantly - HAVE FUN! Enjoy your family and friends and the wonderful day that I"m sure it will be!