Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss question: what are we talking here?

I've heard Hair loss is common after WLS.

Well, I'm about a month out, have lost 15 of the 50lbs I want to lose... and have started to notice hair on the counter, in the sink, on my clothing. My hair is not visibly thinner, but I'm starting out with lot of it.

I'd like to know what to expect... do people see their hair get noticeably thinner? Is the hair loss often severe? Or is it just a bit more than usual rates of shedding? Is it less with less weight loss?

Thanks.

I read that the reason we lose hair is that we lose the hormones that were trapped in the fat. I'm thinking that taking birth control may help to ease the hair lose.

Are you sure you Protein intake is high enough? I read that this condition could be caused by not eating enough Protein.< /p>

My hair hasn't changed at all throughout my journey.

I started taking Biotin today in preparation. Hopefully I don't have a problem. I can't lose my "Texas" hair you know! :cool:

I started to experience hair loss at it's worse around 3-6 months post op. I already had Thin hair, all over my head. But it was really starting to thin out, like my bangs, and the sides above my ears. My pony tail looks like a 5 year old little girls. Hair is kind of a big thing for me and I had some mild "body/identity" issues with it.

I was hitting my protien mark every day. Excercising, losing weight consistantly. I started reading on these boards.

I started taking Biotin and Folic Acid.

I cut my hair a little shorter than normal because you could tell my ends were thin and straggly looking.

It's growing back in now, I have about 4 inches of new growth and it's thickening back up.

For me I think it was just a shock to my system with the rapid weight loss. My dr. said it can be a normal side effect, every body is different. I continue all my Vitamins and Biotin daily.

My hair falls out in clumps in the shower. Yuko! I also shed hair during the day and when this happens I find it on the seat of my car, at work, on the bathroom floor.

The only time I had Hair loss like this was when I didn't have my thyroid meds. With that said, I take a thyroid pill every day and I wash my hair every third day.

I flat Iron my hair, but put a leave in conditioner in my hair. I buy hair care products at beauty/hair salons, rather than the Box Store hair products found on their counters. The hair salon products cost more, but they don't dry out my hair.

I monitor my Protein intake daily and make sure I have at least 90 grams. I also began drinking 1 Protein Bullet every morning. I also have a Vitamin regiment that I stick with.

I have found the above techniques are working for me.

I am worried about Hair loss as well. When I lost a bunch of weight in High School my this locks thinned significantly and never really recovered. But then I found out I had Hypothyroidism, and more hair fell out. I can't afford to lose much more. You guys mentioned some products to help. What are these and how do I get them. Should I ask my doc for a perscription?

I too am losing hair like you read about! I have gotten very anxious about it for sure. And recently at work one of my friends/co worker noticed it was getting much thinner - for someone else to notice really scared me!

I do keep my Protein up where I am suppose to but I think I will look into the Biotin and I love Nioxin, I use to work for a beauty supply distributor years ago and we were one of the first to carry it.

I will just have to pay retail for it which stinks - that was the beauty of working in a wholesale beauty supply store - it was so inexpensive!

I'm only a couple of months out but am already noticing the thinning & hair loss! Eeek! I was already thin and now it's worse.My hair dresser even noticed it.She said my hair also seemed very dry.My skin is dry as well.I'm really trying to increase my Water and protein.I had previously heard about Biotin and was wondering if we could take it.The folic acid I had not heard about,I think I'll try both.Do we have to do chewable or cut in half or can you swallow them whole?I also thought of going shorter to help as well.I agree it does make you insecure.:thumbup:

my hair started falling out about 3 months post op. I have very thick hair and although people say that they can't tell; I know. so last month I decided to purchase a wig. The wig looks so much like my hair that people can not tell the difference. I feel better wearing it. I am a teacher and am in front of teenagers all day. When I get home, i remove the wig and I also do not wear it during the weekend. I have tried bioxin, but did not notice a difference. Good luck

I have Hair loss at about the 3rd month out. I noticed it falling out more when wet than dry. I bought Nioxin shampoo/conditioner that can be bought through your hairdresser. I also take Biotin and Zinc, which my doctor recommended. The funny thing is that I completely lost my underarm hairs! Too bad I didn't loose my leg hairs! Drink plenty of Protein Drinks, if you do not get enough Protein in.:tongue2:

From day one I have gotten almost 100g of Protein and have taken Biotin, my hair started falling out 2 mos post-op and I am going on 4 mos post-op and it has not stopped! It is very concerning. I read on the internet it may be tied to low Iron, so I am going to have that checked today when I go to to the doc. I am already on thyroid meds and take everything religiously. I am thinking I will have to cut my hair short IF and WHEN it decides to start growing back. So with all the precautions I have taken, it's got to be related to just "surgery". Good luck to everyone!

hair loss in our case is usually caused by one of three things. It is temporary and it usually starts around three months post-op and stops within three months of resolving the cause.

Here are the three causes and the fixes for each.

1.) Protein Deficiency: Make sure you are getting a minimum of 60G of Protein per day.

2.) Vitamin B/Biotin Deficiency: Make sure you are taking a high quality daily Vitamin and add a good Vitamin B supplement with around 3000mcg of Biotin. There are several "Hair, Skin and Nails" formulas that are easy to find in most pharmacies and stores.

3.) Shock: Surgery of any kind can cause some bodies to go into a sort of shock. Rapid weight loss can do the same. The shock causes the body to go into survival mode. It shuts down unnecessary processes to focus on processes needed to survive and hair is not one of them. Eventually the body calms down and all processes start back up. So the fix for this cause is simply "time".

Like a couple others in this thread I was worried about this. I have baby fine straight hair. I have also had bouts of Hair loss from being hypothyroid and so any type of hairloss is very noticiable on me. I stayed calm, made sure I was getting the recommended supplements and nutrition and gave it time. The hairloss stopped in the timeframe mentioned above and now I have the thickest, healthiest hair I have had in years.

Guest Leslie2Lose

I initially had hairloss (handfulls when I washed it). I was about 2-3 months out it started falling out - even getting in all my Protein - then it stopped seven months out. Like Jodi I have a thyroid condition too - which has left my hair in shambles...I have noticed "new growth"...yippie...above my ears and around my face. Thank goodness! I've been using Nioxin too - I think it's helped with the texture...