Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have moments of panic before surgery?

I am scheduled to have my band placed in 1 week. I have been and still am really excited about starting my new life and most especially seeing the results after using my new tool. However, now that I'm close enough to be counting down days, arranging for a substitute for my classroom, shopping for items I'll need pre and post surgery, I'm finding my nerves becoming more and more active. I have random moments of "what the hell am I about to do to myself" and have visions of getting the band and freaking out and wanting to claw it out. I really do know that I want this and I know I'm ready to do what it takes to work with the band. Anyone else go through this before their surgery? I guess I'm afraid that my history of panic attacks will rear its ugly head at the hospital before surgery. I'm worrying about little things, like will the IV or leg wraps for blood clots trigger my claustrophobia, etc. Am I normal or is this a bad omen?

Everyone gets a little panicky and scared. Don't worry, it will all be fine! I had panic attacks in years past, But once I was on the operating table I felt calmer than I ever have before in my life. And Now I know why, Because my band has completely turned my life around.

OMG! :) I totally know what your going thru. Been there. I was so excited to get the surgery then it hit me. I freaked out and almost cancelled. I even wanted to cancel when I was there once the IV was in. I thought what am I doing. But it is normal. You will be fine. Just think of how great you will feel once you start losing the weight. That is how I got thru it. I am tired of being the fat girl. :)

I definitely had moments of fear and panic before the band. I was very scared but my surgeon tried to calm my fears. Actually the one thing that helped me the most was listening to other's stories on here. It's inspiring to hear the good and also beneficial to hear the bad. You will be fine just try to stay calm and don't panic. This is the beginning of the rest of your life.:thumbup:

I was so excited to finally be having the band I never even hesitated, but I know not everyone is that happy to be having surgery! I wanted it SO BAD I just could not wait and being rolled into the OR was like Christmas.

Lots of people feel preop jitters though. Yours should resolve! :thumbup:

I think it's normal to panic before surgery, especially when it's as life changing as the band. I don't regret being banded at all, in fact I wish I had done it years ago! You will be fine!

i was scared too. i was sure in june that i wanted the band and then when i got my date i began to question it and get real nervous. the day finially came. i got banded on nov 26th and i was sure i wanted it but just was scared of not wakeing up after the surgery. because it was a volunteer surgery he almost did not do it 10 minutes befor i was due to go in. i told him i was sure i wanted it, but just was scared i would not wake up, and he told me that i have a better chance of getting in a car accident then not wakeing up in recovery. he was right, i did wake up and thank god i did not get into any accidents on the way there. so it is very normal to feel the way you are feeling.. what made me sure was that i would be more mad at myself if i did not do it then if i went thru it. i am glad i went thru it. and the band does work when you work with it. it is not easy to change your eating habbits, but it can be done with the help of the band.

Yes, I panicked! I worried about it being canceled though lol, I was terrified I would have something happen that would keep me from having this surgery, honestly, I had so much anxiety that until I actually got the hospital and was in my waiting room did I start to relax... somewhat lol, because the first thing I asked my nurse when I came out of the surgery and came to was "do I have my band?"

Good luck to you :thumbup: Relax, take a deep breath and trust that all will be well, you're going to be fine :angry: Hugs to you!

Oh boy! I had such moments of panic! I was so afraid that I was going to die either during surgery or the week after. I prayed so hard! I asked everybody else to pray for me too. Six months later my friends are still laughing. They said that I was really "freaking out". I wasn't aware I was acting that crazy. Just follow your doctor's directions. They specialize in doing surgery on obese people. You will be fine. I have to say that the scariest time is when they wheeled me into the operating room. I truly thought I was going to start screaming in terror. But the nurses were so kind. They deserve a special place in heaven for their kindess. They tried to reassure me. But by this time I was pretty close to a meltdown. So they asked me when I wanted to receive the medicine to knock me out ( that's not what they called it, but I cannot remember the name). The next thing I remember is another nurse asking me how much pain I was in. (None!) I survived ! The rest is history. I am six months out and have lost 60 pounds. You will do fine. Sometimes a little fear is healthy. It keeps us on our toes. The first 24 hours after surgery I had to walk a few times up and down the hallway. It is all a blur as I was so heavily drugged at the time. But they will tell you what to do for aftercare.

By the way, what do you teach? I am a full time substitute teacher. Anyway, good luck and let us know how you do.

Pam

Oh boy! I had such moments of panic! I was so afraid that I was going to die either during surgery or the week after. I prayed so hard! I asked everybody else to pray for me too. Six months later my friends are still laughing. They said that I was really "freaking out". I wasn't aware I was acting that crazy. Just follow your doctor's directions. They specialize in doing surgery on obese people. You will be fine. I have to say that the scariest time is when they wheeled me into the operating room. I truly thought I was going to start screaming in terror. But the nurses were so kind. They deserve a special place in heaven for their kindess. They tried to reassure me. But by this time I was pretty close to a meltdown. So they asked me when I wanted to receive the medicine to knock me out ( that's not what they called it, but I cannot remember the name). The next thing I remember is another nurse asking me how much pain I was in. (None!) I survived ! The rest is history. I am six months out and have lost 60 pounds. You will do fine. Sometimes a little fear is healthy. It keeps us on our toes. The first 24 hours after surgery I had to walk a few times up and down the hallway. It is all a blur as I was so heavily drugged at the time. But they will tell you what to do for aftercare.

By the way, what do you teach? I am a full time substitute teacher. Anyway, good luck and let us know how you do.

Pam

I teach 4th grade in an elementary school in a nearby county. I am so fortunate to be in this school because my own principal had gastric bypass with the same doctors that I'm using and has been very supportive. All of my coworkers are very supportive of what I'm doing and that helps too. I love being there.

As for the happy medicine, I think you're talking about Verset. I plan on asking for that stuff as soon as I walk in the door! LOL I'm sure I'll be fine after its all over, but I may need to up my anti-anxiety meds! j/k

Tina

I am scheduled to have my band placed in 1 week. I have been and still am really excited about starting my new life and most especially seeing the results after using my new tool. However, now that I'm close enough to be counting down days, arranging for a substitute for my classroom, shopping for items I'll need pre and post surgery, I'm finding my nerves becoming more and more active. I have random moments of "what the hell am I about to do to myself" and have visions of getting the band and freaking out and wanting to claw it out. I really do know that I want this and I know I'm ready to do what it takes to work with the band. Anyone else go through this before their surgery? I guess I'm afraid that my history of panic attacks will rear its ugly head at the hospital before surgery. I'm worrying about little things, like will the IV or leg wraps for blood clots trigger my claustrophobia, etc. Am I normal or is this a bad omen?
After the shot they gave me in my IV before surgery,I would not have cared what they did.

Hi,

I was having one of those panic attacks right now... scheduled for banding on the 28th. I wanted to so much call and cancel. I came here to look for this conversation exactly.:angry:

I know in my mind that this is the right thing to do but still start to freak out. I try to keep busy, but then I think I should try something else.:thumbup: I live alone so this usually happens of course when I am alone.

Have had upset stomach and sick feeling and I know it is just stress but not sure what to do to stop freaking out... sorry for rambling.

I totally had moments of doubt before my surgery! When I was deciding whether or not to have it, I made a long list of Pros & Cons. Whenever I started questioning my decision, I'd go back and read that list -- it always made me feel better! I even took it with me to the hospital when I had surgery. :thumbs_up:

Also, I was worried that I'd get the band and really hate it. Of course, now it's 2+ months later and I love it and think it's the best decision I've ever made! Still, before I had the surgery, I promised myself that I'd give it six months if I didn't like it at first -- and if I hated it, I'd get it taken out.

The thing I didn't know when I had those concerns is that when your band isn't filled, you feel (and can eat) basically the same way you did before the surgery. I put a post about this on my blog. If I'd known it would be like that, I would have been a lot less worried -- and I could have better focused my energy on figuring out what I was going to do during "Bandster Hell"! (The time when you're on normal food and before your first fill -- lots of people have a hard time during that time, and many gain weight . . but it all comes off later!)

Hang in there!

Catherine

In the week before the surgery, there were times I was convinced I wouldn't wake up from the anesthesia. I wrote down all the accounts and passwords for everything and gave it to DH. Even feeling that way, I was so miserable being fat, I was willing to risk death.

I woke up from surgery with hardly any pain and absolutely no issues.

I think everyone has moments of panic. I am a RN so I knew exactly what would happen to me. I was so nervous about being intubated, not the surgery itself. I insisted on choosing my anthes. doc, it was a form of control. I talked to everyone I could who has gone through the procedure. I even cried in the pre-op holding area and all the was into the operating room (they even gave me meds to calm down!!) I knew everything was going to be ok, and it was. But, you have to trust and give over some control. You know your surgeon, now you have to trust him and those who assist. You will be fine, the procedure is over so quickly you will be shocked.