Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Banded! My experiance!

First of all let me apologize for spelling errors, I am taking to the pain meds quite well. Also while my experiance was not great, its because of my hospital not the surgery itself. My hospital is well known for bad staff, screw ups, and has a lot of complaints filed against them. This is the only hospital for hundred of miles so it was this or nothing.

So I was told that my surgery was at 10 so to show up at 7am. As soon as I walk in the door they start rushing me and ask wher I have been. I explained I was 'on time' and they informed me that I was bumped to the 8 am surgery time. Someone for got to call me....surgery went well tho. I really like my surgeon, he is an older gentleman but very nice. I went to my room where my MIL and friend were waiting for me. They put me in a room with NO pain meds and didnt come back for 2 hours. I was ok but not comfortable at all. So my friend went out and found the nurse to give me meds. I had 3 nurses through out the day OMG 2 of them were RUDE! I am going to file a complaint but thats not the subject at hand lol.

so after some hours of dozing off I decided I want to walk. I call for the nurse like I was advised to and no one shows up. So my friend find the nurse again. I walk real easy and get some gas out (huge relief), I eat some and had to go pee for them to let me go home. They told me just 2 more hours and I can go home.

So I decided to sleep while my MIL and friend go pick up my meds. A woman walks in and says 'the bathroom door is boke, can this man measure it so he can fix it?' I say yes. I am just in my gown and alone but figure he will be out soon and the woman would stay with him. Nope, she left and he was there for over 20 minutes walking in and out of my room NOT annoucing himself. He was mumbling numbers and keeping me awake. This began to really upset me but I just pretended to sleep so he's leave me alone.

Then when I got dressed to go home I got very nausous like where your mouth starts watering in preparation to puke, so I laid down and hit the 'call for nurse' button....10 minutes later no one showed up. So I bucked up and tried it again. This time my MIL came in and I got nausous again, so I hit the button again. 10 minutes later....no one. So MIL goes and find my nurse and requests antil-nausia meds for me.

I went home and have been good. Good amount of gas in my but its coming out. I have to say walking makes a big difference and so does the Gas-X strips. Even tho bad things happened I am happy! My husband is being so good to me and so are my friends who know. MIL has been a angel this whole time. I am a very lucky girl. My scars look real good with the Derma Glue only thing that hurts is my port.

WORD OF ADVICE FOR AFTER SURGERY: You will have hiccups from the gas and yes it will hurt some. But its very normal I am finding out. I didnt know about them and they did give me a scare lol

Wow! I am so glad I am not going to that hospital. I am getting my band tomorrow at 8 am. I have to be there at 6 in the morning. I am very scared and trying to keep my mind off of it. Wish me well.

Ladies, hats off to you both. Bellabean for coming through surgery so well and Peanutband for embarking on this journey tomorrow.

We're getting each other through this one band at a time!

Take care. We're cheering for you.

Wow, Bella! What a terrible hospital. <HUG>

Lena

I'm sorry you had such a terrible hospital experience. I would definitely let them know that. I'm glad to hear that you're doing well at home though. Rest up!!

Thanks girls for the sympathy! I hope I am not overreacting. I am doing very good healing! Today I was off meds completely and able to sleep on my sides without pain. I cant wait for my month appt and talk to my doctor about everything! I weighed myself today (naked of course) and I hit 220. I wont take that as a solid # yet because I dont believe it is true.

Wow Bella, sorry to read of your problems with the nurses and all. And I thought I had some things to complain about, but after reading yours-not really! Just a nurse overnight who did not want to do her job and at one point I heard her say "I'm going to give them all sleeping medicine so they will just go to sleep." but for the most part it was fine, and actually on saturday morning I received wonderful care from a Physical Therapist whom my doctor had ordered, but I did not need

I understand about not believing the weight loss. I'm not driving across town to be weighed once a week, but my clothes say I'm dropping pounds. Not that I'm complaining, mind you!

**Lena gathers up her baggy pants and wanders off**

Hey Bella,

Very glad to hear that your surgery and recovery is going so well!! Thanks for talking about the hiccups too. Thats something I hadnt heard but will be glad to know if it happens to me.

Sorry to hear that your hospital experience was so horrible. You should deffinitely complain....although if its horrible all the time im sure they have tons of complaints. I work for a hospital and there is just no excuse for rude people who dont do their job.

Bella,

As a nurse myself let me just apologize for that horrible experience. Where I work, rudeness and waiting long periods of time for pain meds is just unacceptable and not tolerated. Thanks for sharing your story, though. I'm scheduled for surgery on January 27th and I hope I don't have to go through an awful hospital experience like that. (I'm not having surgery at the hospital where I work.) The info on the gas pain is helpful. I'm not sure what to expect as far as pain is concerned. I've never had surgery before so I'm a little anxious.

Thank you Ms.Kelly! I had wondered if I was overreacting to my experience. I plan on talking to my Doctor about my experience as well. I hope your surgery goes well!

Hi Bella Bean,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, I'm sorry your care was so awful but it sounds like you are a tough cookie and have come through well.

I am being banded on 25th January, this Sunday as this is the first working day of the week where I live in the UAE. I'm an expat over here from the UK. I guess I will be on my own on that day but I am glad to be part of the New Year Hotties! I also hadn't heard about the hiccups so thanks for that too!

Glad to know you are recovering well, keep up the good work!:tongue:

Wow! You had a horrible experience - so sorry to hear that. But years from now when you're thin and a hottie, it'll be worth putting up with. :scared2:

Fortunately my experience was nothing short of wonderful - I even got a "thank you" card from the hospital signed by my nurses, etc.

Congratulations and best of luck to you!

I am being banded on 25th January, this Sunday as this is the first working day of the week where I live in the UAE. I'm an expat over here from the UK. I guess I will be on my own on that day but I am glad to be part of the New Year Hotties! I also hadn't heard about the hiccups so thanks for that too!

Good luck to you, Hope09! May your day tomorrow be full of joy and no pain.

Lena

Lena, you are doing great. I am up for the band on 27th. I worry about the gas because when I had my gallbladder out I thought I was going to die with my shoulders hurting so. I have all my supplies ready. I just have one more day of waiting. I hope I am ready for this.

Carolina Mom