Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok question on starches

I was banded back in aug started 317 now 286, my surgeon is not happy and i go for 2nd fill tomorrow, dr told me NO starches. what all does that entail??? HELP

I was banded back in aug started 317 now 286, my surgeon is not happy and i go for 2nd fill tomorrow, dr told me NO starches. what all does that entail??? HELP

Here you go . this might help

Food Standards Agency - Eat well, be well - Starchy foods

I can tell you i dont eat ( when i have good restriction ) Pasta, rice or breads and I really believe that has ALOT to do with the amount of weight i have lost in teh amount of time i have.

I can also tell you in times like NOW when i do not have much restriction at all and i eat Starches ( and or carbs) I gain and do it quickly . I gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks.

I also feel a lot worse. and crave more crap when i eat carbs/starches.

So he's probably saying , if you want Pasta, eat whole wheat, if you want bread, eat whole wheat, ect.

I hope that helps a bit.

Dont let your doc discourage you .

Your doing well !

Love

Mindy

Here is another/better article for you as well

Mindy

No white potatoes. No white rice. No white bread. 100% whole wheat only, and in very small amounts. That means no crackers, tortillas, Pizza Crust, croissants, rolls, cake, etc.

I don't know how strict is is going to be on this but there are a lot of starchy vegetables too. Things like corn, beets and root vegetables, peas and Beans, etc. You should consult your dietician if you have one.

I personally eat my veggies that are full of carbs. Beans too, these foods are not bad for you. So, if you're going to eat carbs, let it be through things like this.

I do also tend to gravitate toward whole wheat versions of products rather than white.

I'm not really big on the no or lo carb diet. I mostly go on portion sizes, plenty of exercise and eating foods rich in nutritional value.

So no I'm not eating a Snickers bar or a bag of Cheetos, but rather a quarter cup of peanuts or a scoop of corn. I'm okay with that.

However my dietician said these foods are okay (in moderation) and can have positive benefits. You should always follow what your dietician or surgeon mapped out for you. If you disagree, let them know and talk it out.

I personally eat my veggies that are full of carbs. Beans too, these foods are not bad for you. So, if you're going to eat carbs, let it be through things like this.

I do also tend to gravitate toward whole wheat versions of products rather than white.

I'm not really big on the no or lo carb diet. I mostly go on portion sizes, plenty of exercise and eating foods rich in nutritional value.

So no I'm not eating a Snickers bar or a bag of Cheetos, but rather a quarter cup of peanuts or a scoop of corn. I'm okay with that.

However my dietician said these foods are okay (in moderation) and can have positive benefits. You should always follow what your dietician or surgeon mapped out for you. If you disagree, let them know and talk it out.

No carb, low carb does not mean exclude veggies. veggies are good carbs. So many of us have dieted for so many yrs and honestly dieted the wrong way . The no carb diets have got us to believe we should not eat ANY Carbs. Veggies are good to eat and important for us .

I did not get the band to be on a diet for the rest of my life.

I eat what i want when i want. But my band also dictates what i can and cant eat. I cant eat bread, rice and Pasta of any kind 90% of the time. But i eat the hell out of veggies !

HTH

MIndy

Ty everyone. I asked the doc when i went for my fill he put in 1.6 cc which means im at 4.6 now. I am having some restriction. He pretty much wants me to stay away from starches. He even said on wheat bread to stay away. I am still eatting some but Im making sure its wheat like i have been doing for over a year now. Since my fill i have dropped from 283-278 so im feeling alot better now. But I still feel sometimes that I can eat like this morning for Breakfast i ate 3 over medium eggs (cooked with pam not butter) and had no problem but that was the only thing i had so who knows.