Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Long Island, NY

Hi everyone. I'm Lauren. I've been seriously thinking about having bariatric surgery for almost a year now--ever since I graduated vet school. Now that I've gotten settled into my job and have been working for a while, it's finally time. I've decided to get the Lap-band and last Monday I had my initial consultation with my sugreon. I'm starting to get all of my Dr.'s visits out of the way so I can get clearance for surgery. My goal is to finish all my consults by the end of the month which I think is doable since I work a 4 day work week which gives me lots of free days for Dr. visits. Then, hopefully, I'll be able to schedule my surgery for the end of March/early April.

I'm definitely excited, but also nervous. It's going to be a major change in the way I live my life. Right now I think the thought of giving up diet soda is the most intimidating for me of all--I practically live off the stuff. Of course I know that that will probably be one of the easiest things compared to the everything else that I will go through with this.

Anyhow, it's nice to have a place where I can come and share my experiences and gain insight from all of you fine people. I've also decided to start my own blog to chronicle this journey...http://skinnywren.blogspot.com/. Where is everyone else on their path so far? What are some of the most difficult changes you've had to make so far?

Edited by ALuv82

Hey skinny Wren- My name is Jeanette & last Year at this time I was in the same position as you. I am 37 Years old. My starting weight was 310. Last Jan. I saw my surgeon who was on Long Island as well. Dr. Vohra. I did all the testing & requirements & I had surgery on April 21, 2008. The surgery was the easy part. Getting the band properly filled was another. It took me 7 months to get to my Sweet spot. I have 6.5 cc's in a 14cc band. Now that I am getting restriction I have been losing. I am a slow loser though. I have only lost 25 pounds. But I got tendonitis in my ankle from the treadmill so that slowed me down(no gym). I am back on track & getting ready to lose more in the new Year. Let me know if you have any questions about the surgery or testing. Who is your surgeon & where in Long Island are you. You can email me if you want jenlevy33@aol.com. Take Care

Jen

Hi jeanette. It's good to hear from some one else in my area. Congrats on your loss so far. Down 25 is great. Slow and steady--especially if it took you a long time to get the band adusted. I'm going to Dr. Geiss in Syosset. It's a little far from me, since I'm out in. Suffolk--Holbrook--but I liked him, and he's definitely got the experience.

Hi, I'm new to the site and also from Long Island. I have been researching online since 9/08 and don't know where to start. I have read hours of worth of info and blogs and feel like I have made my decision. How do I find a Dr. and check insurance coverage (empire blue cross blue shield)...

Hi KC. Through my research I know of a few good surgeons on LI so I'd be happy to give my advice. Originally my PCP had highly reccomended Dr. Ahmad at Mather Hospital in Port Jeff. I was going to try and use him but unfortunately he wasn't covered by my insurance. So I called up my insurance company and had them give me a list of names in the area that took my insurance, that's probably a good way to start. Then I cross referenced those names with my research. Dr. Gabriel from St. Catherine's of Sienna in Smithtown is supposed to be very good as well. Dr. Braithwaite in Patchogue is also very good. The last two however I had to wait a while to get appointments and in that time I went to see Dr. Geiss out in Syosset. He's a little far from me but I liked him a lot at our initial consult and he's very experienced. He's done almost 3000 lap-band procedures which is more than anyone else in the North East.

So anyhow, I would recommend checking out any of those Dr.'s depending on where on LI you are and who accepts your insurance. Good luck and let me know if I can help anymore, although I'm not much further along than you are right now.

Thank you so much for the info on Long Island doctors! I will call my insurance first tomorrow-seems a good place to start!

I am wondering what is diferent about being banded than other "diets". After dieting for 25+ yrs-I always gained it back-return to that picking and binging cycle. How is this diferent? They remove the band eventually right? Anyone out there banded and had it removed/deflated? I still have a lot to learn about it.

This website & esp the people seem wonderful!

I know this thread is old but I thought I'd say hello to my fellow Long Islanders! :thumbup:

I Live in Lake Grove. I'm having the surgery on 3/31/10, Dr Ahmad is the Dr. Having the surgery in Mather.