Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

confused

Guest jandrews916

Guest jandrews916

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me with this because I am confused....

I have been banded for about two months now. I have already had my first fill. There really has been no difference since my fill.

I PB sometimes (I think its because eating too fast and not chewing well enough), but I can eat just as much as before.

If I get another fill won't the food just get stuck and how will that make me feel any fuller?

Or is the principle the fact that really well chewed food won't get stuck but won't go through as quickly so it fills up the pouch faster?

Because right now if I chew well I can eat just as much as before. So I feel like I have a small opening but a huge pouch!

Do you know what I mean?

but I can eat just as much as before.

That old saying I keep going over and over in my head helps me

"Just Because you can does not mean you should"

Of course I could keep eating but I stop after 20 minutes regardless. How long do you eat for? I was told by my doctor to not eat for more then 20 minutes, however every doctor is different with their post op intructions. I know I got in enough food and nutrition where I will not starve to death after 20 minutes This is where some of the head work has to come into play. The band is a tool remember not a magic wand

Also it has been said and said over and over again that many of us need more then one fill to really notice a difference in how the band works, you may need another fill

Check out this site, it may help you

http://lapbandtransformation.com/Adjustments.htm

Or is the principle the fact that really well chewed food won't get stuck but won't go through as quickly so it fills up the pouch faster?

that is how it works for me

I am not banded yet.1 week from today but I was told to get a timer won with sand (1 minute) i think and turn it over when you take a bite it helps you feel full when you really are. gives your mind time to catch up with your mouth and then again it should take you about 20min to get full! Just somethings I have been told hope it is helpful!

carrie

Part of being banded is learning about a new kind of "full" and how it feels. You're correct in thinking that the key is to chew better so that things don't get stuck, and when you do that you'll be able to eat solid Proteins and healthy foods with no problems.

There will come a signal, when you're eating, that one more bite will be one bite too many: that signal varies from person to person and often we don't recognize it until after some trial and error. But the point is that even when you're eating carefully you will get full on way less food than before.

If your band tells you to stop eating, then STOP EATING and feel what that sensation is in your stomach. That sensation is FULLNESS, even though it may feel different than the Thanksgiving-meal-stuffed feeling you may have been used to. The whole point of being banded is that it trains us to feel satisfied on less food, but that training takes our cooperation.

You're still at the very beginnings of the learning curve; restriction is something we learn to love over time. Your current fill may not have provided enough restriction to really produce the feelings I've described above, but you are on your way. So take it slow, chew carefully, and really do try to listen to the new signals your tummy is sending you. There is a LOT less room in there than there used to be, and your job is to be aware of what it feels like when there's enough food in there.