Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

who's had gastric bypass ?

I've just heard that my insurance may not cover LAP-BAND® surgery. I would love to hear from some of you who have had gastric bypass. I'm actually pretty terrified of the thought of having it done. I'd love to hear your stories.

Anne

Really? I thought they all covered lapband these days. Guess not!

Having my revision to RNY from Lapband was the best thing I ever did for myself!!! Life is much more easier with the RNY. I have not vomited or slimed once since my revision, I made it to goal in 1 year and all my labs are text book perfect. I also love the fact that there is no maintaence, by that I mean no fills or unfills and BTW most insurance does NOT cover fills and unfills so I'm saving alot of $$$$ with the RNY :thumbup:

I was back at school 1 week post-op and back to work in 3 weeks. I also want to say that I was back to the gym 2 weeks post-op with the blessing of my surgeon. My recovery went "textbook" perfect!

Brittwoman - I've asked a couple others that have revised from a band to the bypass to offer info, but no one responds. Would you tell me why you revised? I'm thinking of revising from the band to the bypass. I found out that the band isn't for everyone, and I'm one of the statistics. I've had my band since May of 2007, and hadn't lost any weight until this past WEEK, and that's because I have been working out. I wasn't as committed as I thought when I started this whole process. I have been on a roller coaster of emotions - from depressed to frustrated to disgusted. I still don't know what to do. Some have asked me if I can't follow the band rules, what makes me think I can follow the bypass rules? I mentioned that to my PA last week and she said that the bypass MAKES you follow the rules. Do you find this to me true? I know the bypass is riskier; however, so were the 3 back surgeries I've went through - and I need to take off some weight before I'm there again, too. Please offer me some insight. I don't have any complications from the band - reflux, slipped band, flipped port, leak, etc. - I just don't think it was for me.

1st off ANY surgery has it's inherant risk (I work in the PACU so I see it 1st hand) I had a revision because AFTER 3 1/2 years with the band, I had a slip and the start of erotion. I also developed a severe case of esophagitis and GERD. At first I wanted another band, but; after alot of soul searching and the fact that it could slip again and I needed staples in my stomach to repair the damage done by the band, it was a no brainer to revise to RNY. As far as dumping goes, yes I do and I'm quite happy I do. Remember WLS fixes the stomach and NOT the brain, but; once you experience dumping you tend to stay AWAY from high sugar and high fat foods because dumping is not pleasant at all.

I haven't had surgery yet but was planning on having the lap band. However when I went to the first meeting with my surgeon he suggested that the rny would be better for me. I have insulin resistance and like 140 lbs to loose. I was so confused. So I did all of the research and asked a lot of questions and made a pros and cons list. I made the decision to have rny. For me it is the best fit. I don't want the maintenance that the band requires. I don't want to be able to absorb the high calorie foods that I'd be able to with the band (like ice cream). I don't want to worry about erosion or slippage. So for me this is the way to go. I wish you luck with your decision. It is a hard one I know. But you'll be OK.

skhopp- in response to the "if you can't follow the band rules" question... I would say there are two ways that you might not be able to follow the rules.

If you have head issues that cause you to sabotage yourself, then those won't change when your surgery type changes.

OTOH, if you had mechanical issues with your band -- it slipped, eroded, leaked -- or if you are one who could never find the sweet spot -- too tight, too loose, too tight, too loose -- then revising to another surgery shouldn't be an issue at all. The same with if you have metabolic issues that caused you to not lose weight even when you followed the rules and now it's clear you need malabsorption.

So you just need to be introspective and figure out which is was for you. Then your answer will be clear. If it was head stuff, you can work on the head stuff. If it was mechanical, you can pick a surgery that better fits you.

As for RnY forcing you to follow the rules, I have two in-laws that have it and both of them weigh at least 300 lb. They don't follow the rules. So I don't agree that RnY forces you. You can eat around any surgery, if you want to.

Edited by MacMadame

Hi,

I had my LAP RNY two weeks ago and I am feeling great! Today is the best day I have had since before surgery. I finally feel active and hungry! I have had two short walks on the treadmill today and I did some light yardwork. Nothing much, I just took out some dead flowers and put in a few bulbs. It felt great to be outside. :thumbup:

I originally wanted the Lap Band but my surgeon said I would do better with RNY. The surgeon's opinion was based on my eating habits. Anyway, I have been losing about one pound a day. I have heard that the more overweight you are, the more pounds you lose daily. My BMI was lower when I started, at 37.2, with several co-morbidities. My back is feeling better already. It's cloudy out and I don't feel the usual back pain from the moisture. The GERD is gone! YAY!!!!The surgeon is pleased with my progress. The RN was impressed with my initial weight loss. They said I was doing better than expected. :biggrin: I can't wait to buy a few new clothes!!!!!! :smile: Lisa

How exciting. I am still waiting for my surgery date. Someone from the surgery center should be calling sometime soon (I hope). I just had my EGD and ultrasound done on Friday 1/16 which for me is the last step since I've already jumped through all of the other hoops.

I am so glad to hear that you are doing well and feel better from the weight loss already. New's like this is so inspiring. I can't wait to go shopping for new clothes one day either.

Not sure what you're wanting to know but if you're asking about revision surgery from a gastric bypass there is a revision section at www.obesityhelp.com and people have revised from every type of WLS there. Good luck to you, Nancy.