Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5-10 things you wished you had bought PreOp

Thank you all for your contributions. If others add more items to the list over the next few days I will try to up date the list above.

Sandra, You were in ICU?[/

My blood pressure skyrocked during surgery. After surgery they wanted to watch me so I was placed in ICU. I ended up being diagnosed with pheochromocytoma.

Wow Sandra, I thought that was where they took you to recover....

But if they found you had an undiagnosed illness I guess it was a blessing in disguise. What is pheochromocytoma?

I teach 8th grade also! I was banded 12/29/2008. I had to get milk of magnesia for Constipation, surgeon's nurse said it was the most gentle. Also I made my hubby go get Extra Strength Rapid Release Tylenol liquid. I was going to town on the perscribed pain meds but it causes severe constipation!

A thin, good strainer is important. I don't like the strong taste of most broths, so I prefer low sodium strained chicken noodle Soup (I'm on a week of clear liquids).

I took Chapstick to the hospital because when I woke up my lips were raw and I couldn't have that much liquid to swallow.

I hope this helps, contact me if you have any questions!:biggrin:

I wanted to add the suggestions from SamieTeacher and ND83180 but my edit botton is missing.....??? I can only edit on my page 2 posts.

Wow Sandra, I thought that was where they took you to recover....

But if they found you had an undiagnosed illness I guess it was a blessing in disguise. What is pheochromocytoma?

It was a blessing that I was having surgery. Pheochromocytoma is a tumor on the adrenal glands on your kidneys. It is the reason I have had high blood pressure, heart palpatations, sweats and a host of other symtoms. I am going in for surgery on 1/7 so I should be ok after it is removed. I am ready to start getting regular fills and doing the lapband thing.

You might want to also bring a good lotion. The air in hosiptals are kept dry to stop the spread of germs.

Keep us posted on you surgery. I am sure all will go well.

You know you've lost 35+ lbs on your own and that is very good. Just wait until you get some fills in there and you will reach your goal in no time.

Itschoice--thank you so much for compiling all the comments for those of us about to have surgery. I got my approval, but have to complete an EGD before I get a date, so I have time to do some shopping and think about what I need for pre- and post-op.

Thanks again and good luck to you,

Beautylocs

You have a good list. I never used the sippy cup, but was not a big "gulper" to begin with ... I would add chapstick, for some reason I was really in need of it for the first few days.

Also, be careful of over buying, I bought so much chicken broth, gas x, etc., I still have it now, 11 months later. I think it was just nerves, but boy, did I stock up!

I went back to work on Monday afternoon after having surgery on Friday, I work in a professional setting so I was wearing suits everyday. No problems until they removed my stitches on Wednesday, around noon, I went back to the office and doctor had not put any dressings on the incisions and the big one was exactly at my waist band. The rubbing of the waist band against the fresh incision was unbelievably painful! I went home early. The next day I put a big guaze pad on it and all was well, so you may want to have a few of those on hand. Good luck!

I TOOK EVERYONES LIST AND COMPILED IT HERE FOR OTHERS TO USE. THIS INCLUDES POSTS #2-26. I CANNOT EDIT THE FIRST POST BUT YOU CAN COPY PASTE THIS TO A WORD DOC AND PRINT IT FOR YOURSELF TO TAKE TO THE STORE WITH YOU.

This is a list of things to take to with you the day of the procedure:

1. Sports bra

2. Any meds you take everyday incase you need to stay longer

3. Ear plugs and eye covers

4. Book and/or DVD and player

5. Tampon or pads

6. Easy shoes to put on when its time to go home

7. sweats for the hospital

8. slippers for the hospital

9. pillow for the hospital

10. Cotton underwear

11. Fleets Phospho-Soda (to take pre op if your doctor says)

12. Chapstick or something for your lips

13. Hand lotion if you tend to get dry hands or are staying over night.

Okay here is the compiled list of must haves that you should buy and have waiting for you at home:

1. liquid tylenol

2. gas-x

3. Thermacare shoulder neck hot pads or heating pad (helped with the shoulder pain)

4. ice pack (it feels good on the incisions)

5. Get your Pain Meds ahead of time (if you can)

6. crystal light

7. sugar free popsicles

8. fat free low sodium broth (buy more than you think you will need)I don't know if I read it here or someplace else but you can buy the chicken noodle Soup and strain out the noodles/solids and drink that if you do not like broth

9. Decaf herbal tea or decaf coffee (can add artificial sweetner

10. stopwatch "A stopwatch because keeping track of drinking an ounce of Fluid every 15-mins was hard to keep track of the first few days. Even to this day I use it to make sure I eat every three hours" (Quoted from bearbandit)

11. Dixie Cups - perfect size for post-op amounts of liquids

12. sippy cup (to learn to take small sips)

13. stool softner

14. bandages regular size and some big ones or gauze pads for your port incision when you go back to work

15. antibiotic cream

16. Isopure Protein drinks (clear liquid so I could have them the first days after surgery)

17. Vitamin E oil/Arnica Montana (To use after incisions heal)

2nd week fluids with calories

1. diet carnation instant Breakfast drink

2. ensure or boost

3. Atkins ready to drink

4. Eas advantage carb control

5. slim fast

6. sugar free Jello

7. sugar free pudding

8. Centrum chewable viatmins

9. Caltrate Plus chewable Vitamins

10. nonfat milk

11. Cream of Wheat

12. oatmeal

13. Strained pureed Soups

14. light fat-free yogurt

15. applesauce - no added sugar

16. V8 juice

17. 1/2 cup and 1 cup plastic bowls with lids

18. Pill cutter (For Meds that you can't get in liquid)

PANTS THAT WONT HURT FOR WHEN YOU GO BACK TO WORK.

I did not buy everything on this list. I did buy a lot of things though. I am surrounded by males at home that mean well but often do not shop well;-)

Edited by itschoice

The pillow will come in handy on the ride home. I put mine between me and the seat belt, it made for an easier ride home. Good luck and keep us posted!

A few of my key finds to ease post-op recovery:

• Magic Bullet (mini blender - great for mushies and Protein shakes) Purchase it at www.buythebullet.com
  • Liquid Tylenol (Extra Strength) -- I was Percocet as I left the hospital and then switched to this on day 3 after surgery, and only took Percocet at night through night 5. Drink lots of Water with Tylenol since it's harsh on your liver.
  • Danon Light & Fit drinkable yogurt - yum!!! Sold in packs of 4.
  • Iso-Pure juice drinks -- available at GNC and comes in 5 flavors. Each juice has 40g of protein... remember that protein promotes healing! This is the best way to get protein in the initial days after surgery. Full Protein Shakes with milk were too "heavy" for me in the first seven days after surgery.
  • Compression Garment has been a savior! I don't know too many patients that get them, but my surgeon sent me home with one and I wore it for the first 2 weeks because it minimized the pain so much! It held me in so well. I wrapped it tight for night sleeping, and a bit looser for moving around during the day. Here's an example: http://shop.beautysurg.com/<wbr>index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&<wbr>ProdID=5286
  • Kelo-Cote -- this is the product for scars. Start using 1 week after surgery: http://www.skinstore.com/<wbr>store/product.asp?catID=8975&<wbr>prodID=8977 Also available for about half the price on eBay. I have applied this every morning and night and my scars look great!
  • Arnica Montana -- available at GNC. I took tons of this as it really reduces bruising and has helped heal my scars. Start taking 3 weeks before surgery.
  • Birkshire Bedding -- it's a soft pillow I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $19.99. Just 16"x16" in size... but it helped me sleep! I could not sleep on my stomach for the first 12 nights, so I slept on my side and pushed this pillow on my stomach.... it really eased my pain!
  • Milk of Magnesia - helps with Constipation that is brought on by the Rx pain medication. Just 1/2 a dose worked effectively for me.
  • Ben-Gay pads -- large sticky pads you can put on your lower back for pain. I used it on Day 2 and Day 5 for 1 hour each. Really helped, but walking was more effective overall (see below).
  • Walk! Walk! Walk!!! I walked for 3-4 miles per day starting on day 3. Boy did this help! I didn't go at any increased speed, but just normal walking pace. It eased my back pain and a bit of gas pain. My surgeon did not overly promote walking per se, (and said for me to do it if I wanted) but I read about it on so may LBT threads that I knew there was something to it. After I did it on Day 3, I continued through Day 35 because I felt so good. I bought a pedometer at GNC to make measure 3 miles.

BansterNYC---Thank you for your great additions to the list. I really love the Magic Bullet addition too. I went to Walmart yesterday and looked at one and wondered if it was something I should get. I have one of those hand blenders that you stick in a cup and thought there might be a better way. The one I saw at WalMart was about $57 and since I am a self pay and getting banded next week I thought I would wait until next pay check and make due with what I have.

Are the cups on the Magic Bullet dishwasher safe? That would be a great thing if they were.

I will add your list after my surgery and then I should have a better idea if there are any must have item that I can add.

Edited by itschoice
Grammar correction--the teacher in me could not live with incorrect verb tense.