Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coming back to the land of the living

Over the last 4 to 5 days I have been doing a cleanse that has been absolutely mind altering. I will give some background first.

I am taking classes for duel degrees in Bachelor of Holistic Nutrition and Doctor of Naturopathy. One of my classes required that I visit an alternative medicine practice. I initially went in to just do the consult and write my paper. Then I got caught up in the therapies and the benefits from them. So I signed on for the whole package. After all this is the sort of thing I would suggest my clients experience.

By the way, I have lost 4 lbs so far. I know weigh 230 lbs. WAHOO!!! My skin has never been softer, My hair is shiny and soft, My dry heels are soft and supple, I have this natural glow about me. I had a friend tell me that people I don't even know say, "WOW! She is absolutely beautiful. She just radiates with self-confidence and assurity." Gotta love that.

The down side is I have to eat something called "KITCHARI" for every meal. It is basically Mung Beans and Basmati Rice. I cook it with Veggie Soup broth and it is tolerable. I can now add in some chicken and fresh veggies as well. The MUNG Beans are pure Protein without the gas. LOL!!! If you are interested in more details then PM or email me.

If this doesn't ring true for you then ignore this post. It doesn't appeal to everyone. I did this mainly to rid myself of all the sugar, caffeine, and other nasty chemicals that I had bombarded my body over time. It is recommended to do this at the change of the seasons. We all don't always keep to the good diet we should follow so that is why it is recommended to do at the change of seasons. No one is infallable.

Anyway, here is some info on Ayurveda and Pancha Karma (which is the cleanse / detox I am currently going through).

WHAT IS AYURVEDA?

Ayurveda literally means the knowledge of life. It is the traditional healing science of India and dates back to 3,000 B.C. This ancient healing science from India balances and heals the body, mind, and spirit. Ayurveda treats diseases in a natural, safe, and effective way through herbs, dietary and lifestyle changes, light, sound and aromatherapies, yoga, meditation, chanting, and a deep cleanse/detoxification (Pancha Karma) to accomplish these goals.

This centuries-old science reveals and honors your uniqueness. There are three vital humors (called doshas) that make up your constitution. They are Vata, Pitta, and Kapha, representing movement, metabolism, and structure. The unique balance of these three doshas in your body and mind will determine your constitution. Imbalances in these doshas will ultimately create disease. Ayurveda recognizes imbalances at a much earlier stage than western medicine, at a time when your symtoms are more subtle or at the earliest stages. More serious conditions can often be avoided because Ayurveda addresses diseases at the root of the problem rather than just treating the symptoms of disease. In this way it is different from, but often complimentary to modern medical therapies.

The basic premise of Ayuveda is that all diseases start in the digestive system. If your digestive system is not working properly, your body is not absorbing the nutrients you need and not expelling the toxins that need to be removed.

PANCHA KARMA

Pancha Karma is the deep cleanse and detoxification program used in Ayurveda. This program not only cleanses the body, but the mind and spirit as well. Pancha Karma is designed to draw ama (toxins) out of the dhatus (tissues), return it to the digestive tract and expel it from the body. The program begins with a personal consultation and education session. You will be instructed on your special diet and take precise herbs to aid this process while receiving specific treatment therapies. The combination of special diet, herbal oils, herbs, heat, and massage loosen the toxins and brings them to the digestive tract for elimination. The time frame for our most popular Pancha Karma program is 6 days with an additional 5 days following for rejuvenation. We also offer an abridged version which has a four day time frame.

The Pancha Karma program includes the following:

• Initial personal consultation, daily supervision, and careful guidance throughout the entire program
  • All herbs, herbal oils, and medicated ghees

• Complete education and instruction on internal oleation and bastis.

• Five Bliss Therapy treatments (three if doing the abridged package).

THERAPY PROGRAMS

The following therapies are desgined to be part of the Pancha Karma program. However, due to its popularity, we are now offering the therapies separately without Pancha Karma.

Ayurvedic Oil Massage- Warm herbal sesame oil is applied to the body and long, gentle, relaxing strokes follow the natural contours of the body inbolbing application of pressue to marma points. This massage is usually administered by 2 therapists simultaneously (4 hand massage). One hour.

Fomentation (Svedana)- A full body herbal steam treatment following the massage or as a single treatment. The heat helps the oil penetrate the body and nourish the skin. The sweating which follows purifies the body and removes deep seated toxins. 30 minutes.

Mind Calming Oil Therapy (Shirodhara)- A treatment to balance emotions, and calm and purify the mind. A soothing experience of warm herbal oil poured onto your forehead and sixth chakra. 30 minutes.

Nasal Administration (Nasya)- A facial massage and steaming oil infused towels are applied to the face, followed by the nasya (nasal) administration of herbal oils which clean and purify the sinuses and mind. Used for allergies, sinusitis, purification of the mind, and as an aid in helping to focus the mind. 30 minutes.

Bliss Therapy Treatment- Includes all of the therapies listed above in one luxurious package. TWO and a HALF HOURS OF JUST THAT BLISS (I got this package.)

Therapeutic Massage- one hour

Reiki- fifteen minutes

I'd love to find a place like that around here, that ayurvedic sounds absolutely wonderful!

Can I get all that without the chakra stuff?! That's meant to be a joke since the Eastern medicine/spiritual whatever it's called is so foreign to my Western/American/Christian whatever beliefs. huh? But the Pancha Karma and the Therapies, oh yeah! I'd love a deep cleanse, inner and outer! Glad you liked it!

Kathy, you can do the cleanse without converting to the "way" of life so to speak. I was raised a "Southern Baptist" but started questioning everything from an early age of 13. I gave my mom headaches with all the questions. Things just didn't ring true for me. Don't misunderstand me, I do believe in GOD and I am a christian but there are things about an "organized" religion I just can't grasp. I think more along the lines of Native American beliefs and Eastern philosophy now.

Kathy, you can do the cleanse without converting to the "way" of life so to speak. I was raised a "Southern Baptist" but started questioning everything from an early age of 13. I gave my mom headaches with all the questions. Things just didn't ring true for me. Don't misunderstand me, I do believe in GOD and I am a christian but there are things about an "organized" religion I just can't grasp. I think more along the lines of Native American beliefs and Eastern philosophy now.

Yep, I did my questioning in college, mostly, but figured out my parents were pretty well right all along. I hate it when that happens. So I'm comfy right here in Presbyterian-ville. It makes sense to me, challenges me, puts me and God in our rightful places and all that good stuff I like. I do understand what you mean by organized religion but have managed to comes to terms with it. I belong to a great church, that helps alot.

Anyhoo, so I can do the cleanse, but where?! Just what kind of a shop or salon or ??? do I look for in these parts? I dunno, if I asked around here, someone would say, "that sounds very California to me!" hehe ((hugs))

Yep, I did my questioning in college, mostly, but figured out my parents were pretty well right all along. I hate it when that happens. So I'm comfy right here in Presbyterian-ville. It makes sense to me, challenges me, puts me and God in our rightful places and all that good stuff I like. I do understand what you mean by organized religion but have managed to comes to terms with it. I belong to a great church, that helps alot.

Anyhoo, so I can do the cleanse, but where?! Just what kind of a shop or salon or ??? do I look for in these parts? I dunno, if I asked around here, someone would say, "that sounds very California to me!" hehe ((hugs))

I am not sure where you can do a cleanse in North Carolina but let me do some research and I will get back to you. I go to the office of the Ayurvedic Consultant. But there are all different kinds of cleanses you can do right at home. A simple fast can cleanse you but not the deep cleanse I went through.

Finding a good church is the problem with me. I find that most that I have attended were full of hypocritical people including the pastor.

I find that most that I have attended were full of hypocritical people including the pastor.
Damn sinners. Who do they think they are, showing up at church?

All in fun. I totally know what you mean and understand exactly where you are coming from. So you'll get no arguements from me! On the other hand, they shoulda kicked me out long ago if the hypocrite test were given. I flunk all the time!

So let me know what you find out about where I should look for a center like that. I'm assuming it's a bit pricey? Like, more than a salon? If so, no hurry. ;) I'm grateful for a pedicure these days...band payments started coming due!! It's a small chunk and makes it a bit more difficult to set some aside for extras. I'd say a cleansing counts as extra at my house these days. It really does sound awesome though. I love the idea of my skin and hair feeling so soft and smooth and healthy. Makes me feel all full of gunk just sitting here! EW!

So, are you all done with the cleansing part and back to normal eating? And you'll do it again in about 3 months?

I'm so proud of the classes you are taking. You are gonna be great at your next job! Dr. Penni, to the rescue!!!

I laughed so hard at that one. LOLOLOL!!!!

Damn sinners. Who do they think they are, showing up at church?

So, are you all done with the cleansing part and back to normal eating? And you'll do it again in about 3 months?

The changing of the seasons would imply with Spring after the holidays and again right before Fall. At least that is what I am planning. So not again till Spring for me. Couldn't do it in the Fall. I am still getting over this one. LOL!! There is 5 days of strict eating and the therapies, then one day of purge (not vomiting but the other end SIGH!!), and then 5 days of back on the diet but add in other foods slowly. I am doing my Purge day tomorrow. Yes it is pricey. But well worth it.

I keyed in North Carolina Ayurveda and found a bunch of places you can check out. Durham had one and so did Asheville. Not sure how close they are to you.

I'm so proud of the classes you are taking. You are gonna be great at your next job! Dr. Penni, to the rescue!!!

You are too kind there darlin. I am having a ball. I should have let my RN transcripts carry over for the A&P classes and the Biology but I said what the hay it has been awhile since I took those classes and it will be a good refresher course. IDIOT!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Thanks Penni, I'll Google that and see what comes up. I guess I'm about right between Asheville and Durham. Asheville is easier to get to though, and much prettier. It's west, up in the mountains. Love Asheville. Anyhow, I'll search.

Glad you got a kick out of the sinners comment. I thought it was pretty funny too! hehe ;)

Okay, although this all sounds intriguing... I have to be the pessimist in the bunch I guess. But they are needed questions. Sooooooo, inquiring minds want to know....

How much did all this cost? is there a program fee for having to choke down all of that icky stuff? And I go to the spas as a "treat" but this sounds REALLY expensive. Although I do like people sharing ideas, I just don't know how many of us can afford to really put that kind of money into it. I know that I struggle just making sure the Electric bill is paid on time each month. So bottom line question is... how affordable is it? And more importantly, is it worth the money? Could the same result be achieved through some good ol' fashioned DH pampering? I work all day, come home and fix dinner, drive the kid to football practice, spend some snuggly time with the DH, so where do I fit in the hours at the spa? It just doesn't seem economical and good with time management. When do you find time to do this?

As for weight loss, It sounds somewhat like another diet fad. Why isn't just working with the band enough? The band is designed to work the same if you have the will power to make healthy choices so why do this? What happens when you stop doing this? Is it something you have to keep up? It sounds much like a change in a spiritual journey as well.

Not saying this doesn't appeal to me as I am definitely a believer in many "different" views than others.... but I am just being realistic about my questions and concerns. I figured I would ask since most of the time, others have the same questions and are wanting to know more. I totally believe in the power of meditation and the like but I also know that it isn't something you can do for a quick fix and then stop.

Okay, let the curiosity cat kill me now but darn it... if ya got questions, raise yer hand and ask!!!

Okay, although this all sounds intriguing... I have to be the pessimist in the bunch I guess. But they are needed questions. Sooooooo, inquiring minds want to know....

How much did all this cost? is there a program fee for having to choke down all of that icky stuff?

Jenna, although the price I paid was high I will not give it out here as prices vary. If you are interested in this program then I suggest you contact someone in your area for pricing.

And I go to the spas as a "treat" but this sounds REALLY expensive. Although I do like people sharing ideas, I just don't know how many of us can afford to really put that kind of money into it. I know that I struggle just making sure the Electric bill is paid on time each month. So bottom line question is... how affordable is it?

Again we all have different budgets so what is affordable for one might not be for all.

And more importantly, is it worth the money? Could the same result be achieved through some good ol' fashioned DH pampering? I work all day, come home and fix dinner, drive the kid to football practice, spend some snuggly time with the DH, so where do I fit in the hours at the spa? It just doesn't seem economical and good with time management. When do you find time to do this?

I am one of the people that is blessed that I can afford the time and money to do this type of program. For me and I only speak from my standpoint it was so affordable. I feel lighter, healthier, fresher, younger, and more alive than I have since I was initially banded. I went through something similar just prior to being banded.

As for weight loss, It sounds somewhat like another diet fad. Why isn't just working with the band enough? The band is designed to work the same if you have the will power to make healthy choices so why do this?

You must have misunderstood my comments. I DID NOT do this for weight loss. I did this to rid my body of all the sugar, caffeine, toxins, and chemicals I have bombarded it with over the years. The weight loss is just a by-product of the cleanse. If you go into this with the idea of losing weight as your goal then you will have missed the whole experience of cleansing the body, mind, and soul.

What happens when you stop doing this? Is it something you have to keep up? It sounds much like a change in a spiritual journey as well.

I end the program on Thursday of this week. The decision to go back to eating differently is strictly up to the individual. If I chose to go back to eating sugar, caffeine and other things I know are bad for me then that is my choice. Some of us can take a program like this and make life changing choices. That is great. Others of us make a decision to just try and eat more healthy than we did before the program. As I have said previously, this is meant to cleanse the body of all the nasty stuff and then it is up to you to either continue putting good stuff back in or do a little of good and bad or simply accept that you will slide back and eat all bad. It is recommended to do at the change of the seasons. That would mean something like in Spring and again maybe in the Fall. Or just do it in the Spring only. Or don’t ever do it again. Just depends on the individual and the conviction they have.

Not saying this doesn't appeal to me as I am definitely a believer in many "different" views than others.... but I am just being realistic about my questions and concerns. I figured I would ask since most of the time, others have the same questions and are wanting to know more. I totally believe in the power of meditation and the like but I also know that it isn't something you can do for a quick fix and then stop.

Okay, let the curiosity cat kill me now but darn it... if ya got questions, raise yer hand and ask!!!

Jenna, I agree this is not a quick fix and I have NOT gone into this with that in mind. I thought about this A LOT before I committed. I have been ridiculed for doing this as a waste of money and time that could be used in a better way.

Now if this rings true for each of you then I suggest you look up the program in your area. It is a great thing and so worth it as I feel GREAT.

IF it doesn’t ring true for you then just ignore everything being said here.

The great thing about us all is we are individual and all have our own opinions about things. Some of us agree and others of us don’t.

Ummmmmmm, I think you took my post all wrong. I didn't mean to make you defensive at all nor did I mean to insult you or question your motives. I was asking questions because I was interested. I am sorry if my post seemed intrusive at all on your personal life/time/budget. I didn't mean for it to be that way. I just thought that since you posted all of that information you were open to answering some questions about it. My questions were not ridicule but interested. I just wanted to get some information about the facts.

I am actually a bit hurt and upset that you immediately thought I would be so intrusive. Your answers definitely seem blunt, abrupt and defensive so I wanted to apologize for that.

That being said I just have one more question if you don't mind..... Does the body cleanse process make you moody?

Jenna: If you felt hurt then I apologize for that it was not my intention to come across that way.

I will send you a PM.