Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!! can't eat a bite

I am having the worst time with this darn band--I got a .5 cc fill in early September and all was great could eat enough but not too much, and have lost 30 lbs since then so if anything I would expect my band to loosen up a bit with weight loss but over the past 2 weeks it has gotten tighter decreasing the amount of food I could eat from half a cup to about 2 painful painful bites that come back up eventually anyway-- i was loving the rapid weight loss so i stupidly said nothing but the pain was unbearable the last couple of days so I finally called and had an upper GI done today which was perfectly normal--i am able to hold down fluids but anything else comes right back up--any advice or input would be wonderful--p.s-i am not pregnant and did not overdue it around christmas--Happy New Year

Get a slight unfill. If you can't eat, you'll turn to slider foods and gain..plus it's just plain UNHEALTHY to only be able to keep fluids down. For whatever reason your band tightened (hormones? lost weight and it shifted? who knows!) so get a small unfill and see if that helps!

I'm having the same issues. I have been at the same restriction since late October and everything was going fine (eating okay even!) and then the last two weeks have been horrible! I go next week for my routine appointment so I may ask him to unfill me a bit. I'm losing steadily at about 13 pounds a month, which is a lot, so I'm sure he'll be okay with it.

Just hang in there and make an appointment to be re-adjusted. I'm sure your doctor won't mind taking a little out so you can eat :biggrin:

I actually went in today because I seemed to be getting tighter by the day and the pain was getting worse--he looked over my upper G.I and was baffled by how impossible it was to even see my band?(what the heck does that mean?) he showed me the pics and said "i think that is the outline there and if so its slightly turned" so he took out more then half of the Fluid and i back on tuesday to see if it helped and it did i was able to eat like a normal person and I have some of my energy back--He said he would take out half and i thought he meant half a cc but he meant half the total so i'm kinda dissapointed that i took such a leap backwards--im not sure what the next step is he said maybe an endoscopy but i will walk thru fire to avoid thatbecause it helped do you think that means its not flipped after all??

I think i'm going back to my doc next week cause I cant get down more than a few bites and it takes me alllllllll day to get down 12 oz of tea! I think I may be too tight...

:frown:Geesh I wish I had this problem. I just got my band on oct 11 and haven't lost but 2 or 3 pounds. I seem to loose 2 then gain one. What is goin on I don't really even feel full after eating. Instead of having a full satisfied feeling I am just stoping myself which is VERY hard. I have the fear of overeating and stretching my band b4 it even works. I can not wait to get a fill because I am fearing I should have gone the gastric bypass route. Feeling so depressed that the weight is not comming off the way I had hoped. You guys have been so succsessful loosing the weight and I seem to be at a stand still. So soon after surgery even. Am I a lost cause :thumbup:?

:frown:Geesh I wish I had this problem. I just got my band on oct 11 and haven't lost but 2 or 3 pounds. I seem to loose 2 then gain one. What is goin on I don't really even feel full after eating. Instead of having a full satisfied feeling I am just stoping myself which is VERY hard. I have the fear of overeating and stretching my band b4 it even works. I can not wait to get a fill because I am fearing I should have gone the gastric bypass route. Feeling so depressed that the weight is not comming off the way I had hoped. You guys have been so succsessful loosing the weight and I seem to be at a stand still. So soon after surgery even. Am I a lost cause :thumbup:?

I've been at it for almost 2 and a half years so cut yourself some slack! I've had 14 fills and am at 8cc in a 10cc band. You are still in the healing phase. It will get better once you reach that level of restriction that works for you. Try not to worry, I use to feel just like you-a failure. I lose weight very slow, but I've come to realize that thats ok. Everyone is different and as long as we dont give up, we will make it!

Have you been vomitting?

If you are, then I'm not sure what that makes me. On Nov. 3rd, I will have been banded for a year and at this point I've only lost 35 pounds since surgery. I've spent most of the last year just trying to understand the limits of the band and finding my sweet spot. When I expressed my frustration to my doctor at a visit a month ago, he said my experience is typical of most banded people but to hang in there and keep 'working' it.

I was at the point where I wished I had done gastric sleeve (bypass will never be an option) and was considering it, but now glad I hung in there. This last fill has (at least for now) put me where I need to be and I've finally figured out how I need to eat (differs with everyone) and have lost 7 lbs just in the last week.

So be patient with yourself...and with the band. Read the threads. There is good advice here!