Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hitting a psychological wall

Morning everyone -

I am hitting a psychological wall. I have lost weight in the past. In fact, I have lost almost exactly this much weight in the past. I have made it to almost exactly this size in the past. And then it all came back (through no fault of my own I'm sure! :tongue_smilie:). I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I CAN get beyond this point - that I have the ability to keep going!

The fact that I hit this point at this time of year isn't helping. I'm doing okay exercise wise - not great, but okay. It has snowed every day for the last week, so I'm not walking outside as much. I usually go to the gym when my daughter is at dance, but she doesn't have dance again until the 5th so I'm struggling to find time. But it's the food that's the worst. It's everywhere! Work has always provided me with the structure I need to keep away from it, but my office is closed (forced vacation) until the 5th.

So, any ideas on how to get beyond that psychological hurdle? How do you convince yourself that the wall doesn't really exist?

Morning everyone -

I am hitting a psychological wall. I have lost weight in the past. In fact, I have lost almost exactly this much weight in the past. I have made it to almost exactly this size in the past. And then it all came back (through no fault of my own I'm sure! :tongue_smilie:). I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I CAN get beyond this point - that I have the ability to keep going!

The fact that I hit this point at this time of year isn't helping. I'm doing okay exercise wise - not great, but okay. It has snowed every day for the last week, so I'm not walking outside as much. I usually go to the gym when my daughter is at dance, but she doesn't have dance again until the 5th so I'm struggling to find time. But it's the food that's the worst. It's everywhere! Work has always provided me with the structure I need to keep away from it, but my office is closed (forced vacation) until the 5th.

So, any ideas on how to get beyond that psychological hurdle? How do you convince yourself that the wall doesn't really exist?

You make the time to get to the gym, you walk in the snow, you do anything it takes to keep plugging away. You don't have to believe it is going to work for it to work, you just have to get out there and do it.

Take your kids roller skating or roller blading and join them, take them to the gym with you, take a friend with you, have your husband watch the kids and go to the gym, or a neighbor, a friend.

Find the time, make yourself go.

Hey - give yourself a bit of a break! Sounds like you've been doing really well - and the difference between this time and last time is that you have a tool to really help you if you get it to work properly. Do the best you can for the next week or two - then get back on the programme in the New Year and stop stressing about it.... I'm totally the same as you! I've only just been banded and wondering why the weight's not dropping off. We're all in the same boat, so take heart and relax. Breathe out.... s xx

So, Karen... let me ask this.... what really makes you feel good?? What activity do you really enjoy? It doesn't have to be exercise related. It doesn't have to be food related. Do you have a hobby you haven't done a while?

You have this gift of a vacation until the 5th. You need some good distraction! Do something fun for you that you haven't done in a while, and I bet you will forget all about this wall.

Yes, this wall is there, but you have the power to blink it away. Don't feel like you are falling apart just because your regular routine is on a break. You can still stay on track and enjoy yourself. Be creative!

You are doing a great job!!!! You will continue to reach your goal. :tongue_smilie: