Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to know YOUR story w/Realize Band!

OK, I've had a Realize Band since July 2008. I'm not happy. I initially lost about 15 pounds just from post-surgery, but once the swelling went down, I never felt restriction. I'm at 7 cc's in a 10 cc band, and I don't feel the level of restriction I imagined based on what I heard from others. I don't have any problems with anything going down. I can't eat multiple plates of food as I did in the past, but still I can eat a huge amount of food. I don't have a leak in my band (my dr. checked last time). My doctor (Dr. David Geller of Norton Suburban Hospital in Louisville, KY) will only see me every 6-8 weeks so I have plenty of time to forget I even have a band while waiting for the next fill.

I go through periods where I motivate myself to eat less and eat the right foods all the time - but this has as much success as I did before when I was just doing Weight Watchers. Honestly, for me, having this band and trying to lose weight is no different than other weight loss methods. I know other people are having different experiences. If it took you a while to get REAL restriction, or if you have filled and filled and never got restriction, I'd like to hear it, esp. if it's with the Realize band.

Right now this is making me feel like a total failure on top of the failure I was feeling for having resorted to getting the band. Going into the office doesn't help, either - the nurse is always like, "Are you measuring your meals? Are you counting your Protein? " and the answer is, well, yes at first, but then I don't feel restriction helping me eat less and eventually I stop... and she has this "tsk tsk" attitude. Apparently switching doctors is extremely hard, because the local doctors I've called won't take a patient they didn't do the surgery on...

HELP! I feel like I went through this for nothing.

Edited by zillyanne

"Are you measuring your meals? Are you counting your Protein?" and the answer is, well, yes at first, but then I don't feel restriction helping me eat less and eventually I stop... and she has this " tsk" attitude.

Hi there: So sorry you are going through this frustration. I am new to the band and only 3 wks out so I'm probably not the best person to advise. I am experiencing what you are going though.too...I had that initial 15 lb loss 2 wks post op which was a mircle for me as I'm not at the age that it's easy to loose weight like it was but I feel no restriction with the Realize band right now. I really enjoyed having the restriction in the beginning with the swelling. I felt full on small portions and I felt like a success.. Now after paying oout of pocket and having cheated with Christmas goodies ...I feel pretty down. I am praying the first fill will make some difference.

I know that eating Proteins first does help with appetitie. Then a veggie and a startch last. Have you made hard boiled eggs and kept them handy ....I eat one and it either makes me feel sllightly stuck or totallly fills me up. Funny how bad food or "slider" food go right down. I wish you had a more support. Have you gone to the monthly meetings? I hope for both of us we didn't go through this for nothing.

Uggh... I can't imagine the frustration I would be feeling had I paid out of pocket. With my co-pay and other expenses I've paid over $1000 which was hard, but nothing compared to people with no insurance support. I really hope you have better luck than me.

I'm kind of lucky, in a bad, round-about way, this holiday... I came down with the flu right before we took off for the relatives 600 miles away. I decided to stay behind, which is probably the best thing considering I just had a fill 12/22 and was supposed to be on liquids until today. My son is now 600 miles away enjoying Christmas, which is sad, but I can stay home, recuperate without fear of infecting him, and not have to explain to everyone why I'm not eating - they don't know about the surgery. My husband's family is all skinny and rich so it's always awkward for me anyway. I am so looking forward to my weight not being an issue in my life... if that will ever happen.

Happy Christmas everyone, I was banded 09-02-08 and I share many of your frustrations, early weight loss, no restriction especially. I've had 2 fills with fleuroscope which makes it look like only a trickle getting thru but, guess what? I have almost no restriction except for bread. I lost 15 lbs. on all liquids too but only 5 lbs more in 3 months. That's less than 2 lbs. a month!

Here's what I know..... we didn't fail, OUR DOCTORS DID!! Don't ever forget that. There is no reason to wait for fills, to wait for restriction. This isn't some kind of holy grail, it's just a medical procedure that isn't being very well managed by these doctors. If I knew then what I know now I don't think I would have done it. I have called around trying to find an affordable fill and they almost all discriminate. If they didn't do your surgery, they will make you pay big-time now. I am self-pay and so far I have spent app. $12,000 out of my own pocket and have not much to show for it. If I had that kind of willpower I wouldn't have needed this in the 1st place. My package included 2 fills, $450 each after that. I am now reminding my doc that his fills didn't help me. If he's so great, why don't I have restriction? I'm not giving up. Please don't you give up either..... Barbara

I had my Realize Band put in Aug 5, 08. I lost 20lbs pre-op and have since lost 40lbs. I have had to work really hard at losing the weight since I didn't have much restriction until my 4th fill. I am now feeling true restriction with only being able to eat 1/2-3/4 cup of food.

I feel fortunate having the dr that I have. They will schedule fills when you feel like you are not having restriction and we have monthly support group, which I find to be really beneficial. I am now at 6cc in my band. I know that everyone is different, so for some it may take less and others more. Would it be possible for the dr to see in 4 weeks, vs the 6 weeks? That might make it a bit easier and you won't feel like you are able to eat a bunch of food between appt.

I would definitely keep weighing and measuring food, especially when you are not feeling your fill. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on serving size, but I still measure a few times a week just to keep myself honest. I work hard to stay in the 1100-1200 calories and 80 gm of Protein. I usually find it hard to get the Protein in. If I am lacking in protein I notice that the weight loss slows dramatically.

Are you getting in your exercise? I found that to be one of the hardest things to get started once I had my band. I started the Couch to 5K plan and have found that to be very helpful for me. I even told people that I was going to run a 5K on Dec 6 and that gave me some added motivation!

I have been stuck at the same weight for the past 3 weeks, it is frustrating - I just want to eat, but I can't! I am really focusing on my protein, exercise and Water. I know my weight will move again, I just have to stick with it. I am glad for my band, if I didn't have it right now I would be back eating and gaining the weight I have already lost.

Keep in mind that this is a lifestyle change and you didn't gain the weight over night. It will take time to lose the weight and adjust to a new way of life. Keep up your resolution to use the band to help you lose weight. It is hard this time of year when everyone is eating all of the goodies and treats and you have to pass, but you can do it!

Great post Kristen.....thank you and Happy Christmas everyone. You are so right, if I didn't have the band i would have no control or be eating without thinking. Also as if my band was hearing me before saying I had no restriction......I sat down for dinner and coulld only eat 1/2 a cup of food!@ whooo ...I am Premenstrl so it may be from that....I am very fortunate I have this tool to help me! thank again for an inspirational post! 5K WOW....I have to just get back to my yoga and 45 min walking/hiking...cold weather is throwing me off a bit tho...and holidays :-)

Barbara, I live in southern Oregon and when I saw my PCP this week she told me she had three patients who used your surgeon and had similar frustrations. Once they switched to Dr. Tersigni in Coos Bay they were able to achieve restriction and begin losing. You might try him. . . Kimberly

Hi All... I was banded on 6/13/08 with a Realize band and was frustrated for the first 3 months. I had 2 fills, and didn't feel significant restriction, but magically about a month after my 2nd fill, I just had restriction. I have 7cc in my band and am pretty sure that I've hit my sweet spot. I am consistently dropping 1-3 lb/week, along with exercise. I am very happy with my choice of bands and hope that you will all feel restriction and happiness as well :tongue2:

I have seen so many posts like this...it's painfully frustrating. Here's what I think:

1) Surgeons don't adequately explain what happens after surgery. They're big on the pre- and post-op liquid diet...but don't bother to tell you that the band doesn't work until you get restriction. Until then, you'll be able to eat as much as you used to...and you'll be hungry.

2) Surgeon's don't properly explain weight loss expectations. It's important that patients understand that losing 1-2 pounds a week is GOOD. Granted, 15 pounds in 5 months is not what I'd call good.

3) Surgeon's don't give big enough fills and they don't do them often enough. It's important to take advantage of the patient's excitement and motivation right after surgery. I understand that surgeons want to play it safe, but I think many go overboard. Patients will get frustrated if they're not losing weight and not feeling any restriction. What's to keep patients from feeling like this is just another failed attempt at weight loss?

4) Many programs are simply too strict. We wouldn't need this surgery if we were good at following strict diets, keeping detailed food journals, and counting calories. I understand that it's important to eat well and exercise, but we need to be shown HOW to do it. It's important to teach patients how to deal with the new eating pattern that this surgery requires.

Okay...I'm stepping off my soapbox now. Try this other surgeon in your area and let us know what they say.

I had surgery on 11/14/08 I've lost about 12 pounds of fat but gained Water and musle which is good I guess. My first fill is scheduled for January 14th, so I have no restriction until now, but I do feel the difference when I eat.