Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

carbs? what is ok?

I read on here about people who eat an occasional piece of toast or pizza. My nuse freaks out about me consuming carbs. She says the expand in my ouch and will streatch it out. It's so hard to never have carbs, I don't have them often but an occasional bite here and there doesn't seem to be the end of the world? I don't eat them to the point of pain so I don't feel like I'm jepordizing streatching my pouch? what do you guys think?

I don't eat bread much (can't really) and don't eat rice at all, but Pasta has been fine for me. I don't THINK it's expanding my pouch. The nutritionist said it's mostly that those foods don't provide as much nutrition.

I eat what I want in smaller amounts.

I'm in Seattle too. Who is your surgeon? I have Dr. McMahon. I'm also 31!

Constantly overeating stretches your pouch. Not carbs...

White carbs are pretty nutritionally deficient so avoid them as much as possible, but NOTHING is off limits as long as it is in moderation (except soda depending on your doc)... Totally writing off a food from your life forever is asking for a MAJOR binge later on. I allow myself a little of whatever I want, and I never EVER feel deprived.

Carbs are present in tons of foods: Beans, veggies, fruits, dairy, whole grains, and of course sugar. Refined carbs, like bread, rice, and sugar, aren't exactly nutritional powerhouses. But they're not evil...they just need to be consumed in moderation.

I have heard that some carbs like rice can expand in your stomach, which would theoretically force your pouch to expand. I have no idea if that's actually true or not...maybe one of the vets around here can weigh in on that part.

I want to be able to eat like a normal person...just in really small quantities. Of course, I still have to make healthy choices...just like normal people. But the occasional cookie or bite of pizza shouldn't be forbidden.

If I were ok with depriving myself, I'd be able to stick to a diet...and I'd be skinny right now. Since that's clearly not the case, I am sticking to my "all things in moderation" theory.

That being said...talk to your nutritionist about your concerns. She's the expert, after all.

Carbs are present in tons of foods: Beans, veggies, fruits, dairy, whole grains, and of course sugar. Refined carbs, like bread, rice, and sugar, aren't exactly nutritional powerhouses. But they're not evil...they just need to be consumed in moderation.

YES YES YES!!!:laugh:

I don't know why we're led to believe carbs are "refined flour and sugar" and are wicked and we'll blow up and die if we eat them! YIKES! Veggies have carbs. Even eggs have carbs in them.

I also agree, check with your nutritionist (although if she's the one who thinks white bread is the only source of carbs, maybe you need another! LOL) Mine told us Pasta was fine as long as we didn't eat it al dente...because al dente Pasta does continue to absorb liquid (leave it in a pot of liquid on the stove if you think it doesn't!) and can swell and stretch the pouch. White bread is a no no only because it tends to wad up (roll a piece up in your hand) If you toast it, it doesn't do that. OR if you eat it in small bites with something of a different texture, you may be able to eat it that way!

But carbs are not inherently bad and in fact we need a balanced diet post band just as much as we did preband.

I eat some carbs but find that white bread of any sort just doesn't do well for me.

I like THIN pizza but I can only eat it if it is later in the day (night time) and eat most of it except the very end piece of the crust if it is thick. If it is thin like the base of it, then I eat it. I chew very slowly and allow time for it to go down. If I am stuck with thick pizza then I just eat the toppings of it and forget the doughy thick crust.

Carbs are fine but you just are suppossed to eat the Protein first and then if you have room, have carbs. You cannot deprive yourself and if you want somehthing bad enough then take a few bites and satisfy the craving. I do that with cake and such....I just want the taste and it just helps to know that I can eat if I want to!

I find most wholegrain and natural carb foods - oatmeal, stoneground wholegrain bread, veges, fruit, are VERY filling. Its not that they expand in the pouch so much as they are bulky in the first place because they contain a lot of fibre and/or Water. In actual fact, for me personally, these foods work WAY better than Protein foods in my band - small amounts, I'm FULL and it lasts for hours. I have absolutely no problem with Protein foods but they are relatively easy for me and slip through quicker than good bread does.

Fluffy white refined carbs, thank goodness they cause me a fair deal of discomfort becuase I was absolutely addicted to foods like that - I always ate decent bread and cereals of the organic wholegrain variety but Cookies, cake, muffins, I lived on that stuff.

I agree that it is important to get enough protein but for me, I tend to balance it out with carbs as well. I dont eat a lot of bread - I can go days without eating any - but I find I need a good serve of high fibre Cereal each morning. I get a lot more of my carbs from fruit and vegies now.

I try to avoid the white stuff. I eat brown rice, lots of Beans and fruit. They all have carbs. also, sweets have carbs and I do that ocassionally as well. Otherwise, everything in moderation!

Iv had pizza and sub sandwiches. No one has ever told me not to. I do watch how many carbs I consume so I lose faster, but I have some. Pizza I know its hard to stop at one piece. I have had 3 fills and supposedly tight, but I can eat anything except fruit has the most trouble.