Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

I am new at this, I am 55 yrs old, will have my lapband on New Years eve ! I am very excited, but I am very nervous too. Please let me hear some positive talk !!

Congrats on getting your band soon! I've been banded since November 20th...everything went really well, had a very good overall experience...the second full day home after surgery was the most painful day for me, but the pain didn't last long...all I needed was some Tylenol and rest. I needed a full week to feel like my old self. I had lost 21.5 from the start of my Pre-op diet up until I started mushies (4 weeks)....after two weeks on mushies, I gained back 6lbs...but my doctor's office told me not to worry, the first 6 weeks are for healing not losing, so I'm okay with that....not exercising yet either, so I know once I do that will help. This whole new way of eating is a process, its going to take time to get use to. What I've been struggling with the past couple of weeks is knowing when to stop eating when I feel SATISFIED, not FULL...someting I have struggled with my whole life...so between that and not having a lot of restiction right now, I've put some weight back on...after my first fill and after having some time to get use to the band, I'm sure I'll get through this!

Overall, its been a great experience for me and I'm very happy that I chose the band! I was nervous too, but you will be JUST FINE! I wish you much success on your new journey!

Thank you for your advice. I just feel I need reasurance. I appreciate it and really am looking forward to this new me ! I am sure everyone goes through this.

Your very welcome....any way I can help, I am happy to! This board has been a godsend to me...I've read through so many posts over the 5 months or so and I really learned a lot! So many nice people here to help!

The best reassurance you can give yourself now is to stay positive! Don't let any of the negative nay-sayers get to you! Having a good attitude and really educating yourself on the band and being as prepared as you can be, are the two best things you can do for yourself! Your right, at some point everyone being banded needs reassurance that they are doing the right thing! You just have to BELIEVE that it is and it WILL be! Best of luck to you!

How exciting to be banded on New Years Eve. Great way to start off the New Year!

I remember being nervous too! Wondering if this was going to work or is this just another one of those weight loss schemes that will fail. It is natural to be nervous and wondering if this is really going to work.

I was banded in November and thus far I have lost 32 pounds. I am very pleased and look forward to a healthier New Year. I have no regrets and have no doubt that you will be pleased with your decision to have the surgery.

Good luck!

I was banded on Oct 29th. The 2nd day was the hardest for me but as soon as I took my meds I was fine. Remember to walk that will help so much with the gas and take GASX soft gel and have someone give you a message. Unfortunatly it makes you burp alot!!:w00t: But I can tell you that it is the best decission I have ever made for myself. I have to agree with Cappy the hardest thing is to know when you are satisfied before you get full. It is all a learning experience. One advice is that while you are learning the does and don'ts remember to learn to love your BAND:tt1: I know that sounds funny but once you realize that you have this amazing tool and that it is there to help you not to hurt you. Then I believe that is when the weight falls right off!! Good luck.

I will add you to my prayer list!! God will be with you!!!!:ohmy:

Glomo,

I am also 55 years old and was banded 5/28/2008. I have lost 97 lbs so far and my surgeon actually thinks I may acheive a normal weight for the first time in my life.

How is that for positive talk? The band is a tool not a fix but if you are ready to work it you will be very happy with the results. Good luck!

Glomo,

I am also 55 years old and was banded 5/28/2008. I have lost 97 lbs so far and my surgeon actually thinks I may acheive a normal weight for the first time in my life.

How is that for positive talk? The band is a tool not a fix but if you are ready to work it you will be very happy with the results. Good luck!

Thank you It's Christine!! I am 52 years old, getting banded on Monday and alternately nervous and excited. After battling my weight for 42 years, I actually let my mind wander to think I could for once acheive a normal weight for the first time in my life since I was a child. Inspirational stories like yours give me hope.

Thanks!!

I am so happy that I found this board. I am very thankful for your advice, and to hear the wonderful testimonies. I will think positive and please have me in your prayers.

Hello!

Good luck on the 31st, I will be in the day before you!

How are you doing on the pre-op diet? My surgeon has me on Slim-Fast for 12 days, then Clear Liquids for 2 weeks. I am allowed a VERY small plate of dinner on Christmas! YAY! :tounge_smile:

~Stephanie