Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some guidance please....

I was banded 11/10 and I had lost 12 ponds pre-op and six since surgery however scale hasnt moved in last two weeks. I had my first fill 12/12 and I think I am hungrier now after the fill. The doc wants me in on 12/18 for another fill. What do you think too soon or go for it?:thumbup::confused:

i would say 1 week is way too soon. your body probably hasn't fully adjusted yet to your first fill. talk to your dr. about your concerns and see what his response is. he shouldn't do a fill if you're not completely comfortable with it. personally, i would wait at least 3 weeks. my dr. will do one every 6 weeks if needed.

I am eating more than a cup at a meal and they think that is too much so they want to do another fill. Go figure only I would feel hungrier after a fill

That is certainly a VERY aggressive fill schedule and not the norm. If your surgeon has a good track record and experience with bandsters then I wouldn't blatantly go against his/her treatment. However, I'd be asking a lot of questions and would lobby against a very big fill - but a small one would probably help you.

All doctors have different theories on band patients... Some refuse to allow a fill less than 8 weeks apart - mine does it in 4...

My surgeon has patients drink a 20 ounce bottle of Water before leaving the office to be certain you can at least get and keep fluids down. If yours doesn't do this - take Water with you and preliminarily test the fill before leaving the parking lot. Water should freely pass. Then follow your docs post-fill diet with caution to be certain you don't get stuck. Literally eat a bite and then wait a bit to make certain it isn't going lodge.

Post fill diets are another matter of being all over the map. Some docs require patients to follow a liquid or mushie diet for two days after a fill - mine does not at all. Same food after the fill as before the fill. Just follow your docs instructions, because after all, it's your doc that you have to answer to.

Very few people (there are some) have any meaningful restriction after the first fill anyway - and you don't appear to either. It took me until #3 to get meaninful restriction and #4 to get satisfactory restriction. I was banded in August '08 and already went for fill #5 today - while some people banded at the same time are waiting for their 2nd and 3rd fills - so all the docs are different.

Good luck and keep us posted - it furthers all of our knowledge base!

Brad

1 week seems waay too soon to me, but them I'm just going by my doctor's schedule. He simply won't do a fill before 30 days (of course you can get an unfill at any time if you are uncomfortable).

I'm personally very wary of any doctor who is way too aggressive with fills. Any fill runs the risk of extra swelling, and that can really become problematic if food gets stuck, and some people have had to have total unfills when that happens. Good luck!

I made the appt for tomorrow and will see how it goes. I really feel NO restriction at all and feel much hungrier than I have since surgery and just dont want to wait til after the new year. I am most afraid of eating to much and stretching the pouch. I will discuss with doc before making decision on another fill. Thank you for everyones comments

My first fills were two weeks apart, but it was six weeks after surgery before I had my first fill. (see chart below) My first fill was under x-ray. My second was done in the office, and my third was done under x-ray. The doctor took an x-ray before my third fill to make sure I didn't have restriction, and the barium went straight through with a swoosh. So, I got my third fill then, and just had my fourth fill after a month. I haven't had any problems, and I've not had any stuck or pb'ing episodes.

Thanks Kiz, that makes me feel so much better! Again, I just want to make sure I am not going to do harm by eating to much. If my docs werent going to be out for the holidays I would wait a week but better safe than sorry:)

My doc is aggressive with fills, has an excellent success rate and an A+ reputation here in Dallas. He has said once we start the fill process, I can see him every week if need be to get to good restriction.

You'll hear all kinds of stories here. Since you presumably researched your physician beforehand, trust his judgement and do what feels right to you.

That is good to hear!! I didnt have this surgery to mess it up by eating too much. I am stopping myself of course but I dont want to feel hungry either. On the other hand I hear the horror stories of being to tight and dont want that either.

Thank you all for yuor comments, I went today and had another fill so that I am at total 5.2cc and I think I feel some restriction now. I will know later when I try to eat. I am very gald I did not wait til after the holidays!