Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking Question...

Guest RainAlaya

Guest RainAlaya

Hi. This is my first post, so be gentle. I just got my approval letter from the Ins company Friday, and with our policy, you have to have the sugery done within 30 days of approval, so I am getting very excited. I have been lurking around here for a while, and I've noticed a lot of comments about quiting smoking before surgery. I am a smoker (I know, a dirty, dirty habit) but none of the appointments I've been to have made any mention about it. Is this a typical request, or does it depend on your dr? I know I need to quit, and it is something I am working on, but I don't know if I'll be able to truthfully be called a non-smoker in the next 3 to 4 weeks. I'm just looking for what other smokers/previous smokers have encountered. TIA!

BTW ~ Now that I've been approved, I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. This is such a wonderful resource. Just some FYI on me, I'm 25 in the St. Louis area. I have a wonderful 2 year old daughter who is the light of my life, and am married to an Army soldier who is currently deployed in Iraq. TIA for allowing me to join your group. I know I'm going to need all the support I can get!

RainAlaya,

I too was a smoker. I cant remember when my doctor told me to quit smoking. I think the nurse said I would have to before my surgery. Then in the preop testing he told me I would have to do the pulmonary function tests (which I flunked) then I had to go see a pulmonologist and that is when I quit smoking. I knew the doc would want me to be smoke free for one month but I also knew that the pulmonologist would say the same thing so I just quit right then. Went on the patch. I smoked at least a pack a day for about the last 25 years. I have been smoke free since 1/15/05. My surgery was on 4/8/05. I know my surgeon does not do surgery on anyone who is a smoker (and they did tell me I could even be on the patch in the hospital if I needed it).

I will keep your husband in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and safe return from Iraq.

Hi RainAlya,

Welcome to LBT and congratulations on getting approval from your insurance company :)

I too, am a smoker. My doctor didn't tell me to quit pre op and I'd heard a few things as well, so I asked him. He told me it wasn't necessary, but that for my overall health, it'd be a good idea to quit eventually.

I'd recommend asking your doctor though, as each of them will have their own opinions on smokers and surgery I'd assume.

I am currenctly a smoker, but 2 weeks pre-op the doctor told me to quit so i did. after a week i was having such bad cravings--and other external stressers(my fiancees ATV was stollen,which i bought for him for x-mas last year) and my brand new 2004 maxima was bebee'd. so i smoked a few cigarettes. but defiantly follow your doctors directions! A few days after my sergery(when i finally started caring i was craving big time i started smoking again,very causiously. I really wish i had quit but it so difiacult to quit when your "dieting" so,im going to try quitting again hopefully soon now that my healing,etc is done and im feeling better....

im not saying go ahead and smoke right up till your surgery,please follow the directions of your doctor-it will help your surgery go much smoother!!!

Congrats on your approval that is wonderful!!!!

Hi there,

I was and still am a smoker. My dr. didn't ask anything about smoking, but when I met with the pre op team the anetheolist (really bad speller) asked me and told me that I should quit for over all health too. I had my surgery, I didn't smoke the morning of surgery and I made out good. I would let them know before you go in for surgery just so they are aware. Good luck and it is a great journey!!!!!

i was a smoker and my insurance company basically states you are making a "lifestyle change" so you should quit smoking..i just quit cold turkey!! ive had a few days where things are super super stressful and i do resort to doing the naughty deed!!! i work for the insurance company also and i help out with medication preauths..wellbutrin is the best med for quitting smoking because it not only is an anti depressent but it also helps you quit smoking!!! good luck :)

My paperwork says if you have not quit before the day of surgery you will not be banded. This was never mentioned at any of my appointments or at the information seminar, but then again I am not a smoker so maybe they thought that it was not nessary to tell me. Who knows, but if I were a smoker this would have been major as I got the paperwork just 4 days before I had to start a liquid diet and just 2 weeks before surgery. I don't think a liquid diet and quitting smoking would be possible at all, I quit several years ago and I am glad I did it then and not having to do it now. Good luck with your surgery, and I hope the smoking thing resloves it self~Mandy

My Dr told me outright if I didnt give up he would not band me. He said it was too much of a risk doing surgery on a smoker who is obese as well. I gave up the day of the op, I tried before and couldnt. It helped being in hospital and not being allowed to smoke, then when I got home I was too sick and in pain to think about it for a few days....After that I thought I may as well fight it and really give up. It has been hard at times....VERY HARD....but I still havent had a cigga since the night before my surgery 4 months ago. One of the things I really notice is that when I smoked I would get puffed easily doing things, now I can exercise and not get puffed.

Good Luck