Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded yesterday - here's my story

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to tell all of you who are waiting my story because I know how worried you can get waiting.

I arrived at the hospital at 12:30 and I was operated on at 3pm. Just before going into theatre I wanted to just get up and walk out I was really scared but thankfully I didn't do that.

I don't remember anything until I got to my room where I asked for some ice for my dry mouth. When I woke up properly I had a look at my tummy. I have 3 really small incisions and 1 slightly larger one (no stitches). The only one I can feel is the larger one but that is only slight discomfort certainly no pain. The only pain I have had is in my shoulders, the left worse than the right but panadol and a heat pack is all I need for the pain.

I was very tired, hardly able to keep my eyes open until this morning. I have still been dozing on and off today too.

It's weird but I sort of thought I would be able to feel the band somehow but I don't feel any different. I wish I'd known before the surgery how I would feel after it cos I wouldn't have been so nervous.

I'm hoping my story will help anyone worried about the surgery to not feel so nervous.

Good luck everyone.

thank you for your story.... i have been told by other bandsters not to worry ... so Im trying not too at all... keep me posted on how you are doing I wish you the best

Julie

Welcome to bandster world. Good luck! Remember that determination you had when you found out there was a tool out ther to help keep you from "overeating"? Refer back to that thought for the next 12 months and you will succeed. don't let anyone get you off track, But don't beat yourself up if you fall off of the wagon, crawl back up and continue on.. way to go!! I am 11 months out and 10lbs from goal. I luv my band.:angry_smile:

My surgery date is January 16th! I too am a little scared but looking forward to the help with the band.

Did they keep you over night. My surgeon says he prefers his patients staying over night, but I requested to go HOME! He didn't have a problem with that. Did you have to drink and barium drink to make sure your band was working? Did you have to have a folley catheter in? I told mine I did not want one as I ALWAYS get a UTI from them. Did he put any fill in your band during surgery? Mine will not do it for 6 weeks. Thanks in advance for any answers......Jan:thumbup:

My surgery date is January 16th! I too am a little scared but looking forward to the help with the band.

Did they keep you over night. My surgeon says he prefers his patients staying over night, but I requested to go HOME! He didn't have a problem with that. Did you have to drink and barium drink to make sure your band was working? Did you have to have a folley catheter in? I told mine I did not want one as I ALWAYS get a UTI from them. Did he put any fill in your band during surgery? Mine will not do it for 6 weeks. Thanks in advance for any answers......Jan:thumbup:

My surgery was done this past Friday (the day before my 50th birthday!) Mine was done outpatient and took a total of 4 hours including check-in, surgery and recovery.

I was not cathed because my doctor says the surgery is too short. I also kept my own panties on! YOu'll have to experience the one-size-fit-all disposable panties to understand my joy :) I also did not receive the heprin shot that may banders speak about.

I filled out some paperwork in the waiting room, was called back for weighing, to change into a gown, booties and surgery cap to cover my hair. The anesthesiologist came in and talked with me, the doctor said hello, they started an iv (no pain) and gave an injection of something. I walked back to surgery, climbed on the bed (I had no complaints about the chill in the room, but many have said it was

uncomfortably cold for them.)

I sat up just a little and watched them prepare some instruments. I was told that they would cover my abdomen with some prep material, I asked the anesthesiologist why he didn't ask me to count backwards like they do in the movies. He chuckled and said he thought it was tacky. I chuckled...

The nurse then said, "okay Lvndreamz. Lvndreamz?" I said, "okay, I'm guess I'm ready." She said, "Sweetie, you're in recovery."

I will admit that I was a little uncomfortable in recovery, but I am not sure why. It wasn't pain per se, but a deep feeling of having to burp...not vomit...but burp! It was uncomfortable enough that I asked for something for pain...but it wasn't deep pain...just pressure.

I was also loopy.

I was asked to sit up, the nurse asked me a couple of questions...just routine do you know who you are type stuff.

Again, I felt loopy...I was very awake but there was a slight fuzzyness to my world. I was taken out in a wheelchair. Loaded into the vehicle and for a moment I didn't really know who was driving my car...it was just for a moment or two but it was weird. I knew it was my sister...but not really.

It was about a 40-minute drive back to my house and I became more and more clear/precise by the minute. I was tired, a little sleepy, and sore...not in super pain just a soreness...and that sensation to burp.

I felt absolutely fine the day after and went shopping with my sister. I did get a little bit tired.

I have taken about 6 doses of pain medication total. I took a shower about 72 hours after surgery (my nurse said it was okay.)

What I have struggled with after surgery is:

Sipping rather than gulping fluids.

Making myself have fluids (I have a tendency to dehydrate easily and have to make sure that I do my fluids.)

I had one episode of nausea...I burped up my fluids, felt great and have been careful not to gulp fluids since then.

I've had the equivalent of an hour of some kind of shoulder pain.

That's my story!

Dear Lvndreamz,

Thank you for your reply. This info helps me to understand a lot more about what happens. My son is affraid for me and my husband supports me 100%. The surgeon did a lymph node surgery on my husband a few months ago and wanted him to get banded but he won't do it. I think he is waiting to see how I do. A military base is doing mine, Tricare finally approved the surgery for military people, about time! My house is also 45 minutes from the base so my husband is my driver, not sure if my son will be there. Thanks again....Jan

Hi Jan

I did stay overnight and i was glad I did because I don't have another adult at home so it was reassuring to be looked after for the night. I didn't have the catheter you mentioned. I got up to go to the toilet about 4am the morning after surgery. I had a feeling of needing to burp too and unlike many people on this forum I don't have any problem burping. I can't even feel my incisions now but the shoulder pain is still bothering me at times but I have only had panadol and that helps. Good luck with your surgery.

LvnDreamz - congratulations on your banding. You're a few days ahead of me.

Hi Lvndreamz,

Thanks so much for your words of encouragements, I am scheduled for 12/22 and beginning to get a little nervous and I think I'm catching a cold.

Happy Holidays:Angel_anim:

Apeavy

Dear Thinkingslim,

Thank you for your info. It seems like everyones surgery goes about the same. Mine is scheduled for Jan. 16th what a great way to start off the New Year! The surgeons nurse called me today to make sure I had my pre-op appt. 5 days before the surgery.....Jan

I will get banded on Dec 17th and like yourself I realize I will have trouble sipping versus gulping, drinking fluids is also hard for me now. I stay slightly dehydrated. I will have to try really hard.

Thank you Lvndreamz!!

Those words of how everything went for you is so good to know! I am getting band on Feb 16th 2009. And for me all my thoughts of the surgery has now been answered and I am grateful for that:thumbup:

At the moment I don't have any fear or quires I just can't wait for the experience to happen I figure its like a bungi jump JUST DO IT !!!:(