Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay I'm scared.. please help :)

My surgery is Dec 11th. I'm day 6? of the preop. I've lost about 13 pounds.

I'm gettign my period. I just read that you're spread eagle on an operating table in a room full of people totally naked while the doctor stands between your legs? WTF?

That sounds like my worst nightmare come true. Then I read on here how so many people don't even drop weight, can't have their fav foods ever again and are on lifetime doctor visit supports for things like twisted ports and erosion or stuck stuff or whatever.

I'm REALLY very very nervous. I'm sorry because i don't wnat to spread the freaking out to other people awaiting surgery but I could use a little support.

First of all, whatever happens in the OR...you will be totally unaware of. It's just business as usual for anyone in there....so check that off of things to worry about!

Yes, there are people who haven't lost weight, people who have had complications, people who don't like their bands.........BUT

....there are people like me, who have lost weight, still eat "normal" foods (including favorites), feel fantastic, look great and love their bands.....the nice thing is that it has changed my relationship with food.....I was able to go to a wonderful Christmas party last night and focus on socializing with friends, dancing, and frankly....looking pretty hot....instead of focusing on the buffet line!

If you've done your research, just focus on the original reasons you decided to be banded.....

Breathe in, breathe out!

Hey, don't worry. Just relax! I am having mine tomorrow and I am currently having a REALLY heavy flow. So yeah, it sucks in that way. But seriously, doctors are trianed to deal with that kind of stuff. Although I have never heard of the "in between the legs" thing. Personally, I don't care if I am naked and spread eagle as long as their doing their job. (And I am really modest too.)

Since I haven't had it, I can't say if it's working for me or not yet. All I know is that in the pre-op diet so far, the first week was the most difficult. I was craving everything. Now that it's the end of the two week pre-op, I have lost over 10 pounds (without exercising sadly) and I am not craving things hardly at all. I know two very good friends who have had it, and they still can have their favorite foods, just in moderation. You just have to be VERY careful about what you eat for awhile you know? As we all know, the lap band is a TOOL not a solution. So if people are planning to have milkshakes and whatnot all the time, it's just not going to work. We have to change the way we see food, which believe it or not, isn't impossible. For the people who are't losing weight, it's probably because they aren't sticking to lean protien and veggies and good foods, and are trying to "eat what they want". You CAN eat what you want, it just depends on how bad you want to lose the weight. It's simple science. If you aren't following a good diet, you won't lose weight. Just because the band is in place it doesn't mean you SHOULD eat whatever you want. It means you physically CAN in moderation.

Good luck!

Well I wasn't spread eagle on the table (other then my arms). But I did have my period and it was fine. I was able to put a tampon in and the rest is history. Some people are given a hospital pad and underwear. It is very common to have "Aunt Flo" or get it around the time of surgery. I was nervous like you can't believe before my banding. However after it and now looking at a port displacement 2 weeks later, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I can that it has made a big diffrence in the way I feel already. Hang in there, the hardest part is waiting to have the surgery. I am headed to the hospital in the morning for my port to be reatached. Don't worry, it will be alright!

I had my period on my surgery day - they give you disposable underwear with a pad to wear. My hospital gown was still on me when I woke up - it was tied just as I had left it so I'm not sure what they did.

My surgery is Dec 11th. I'm day 6? of the preop. I've lost about 13 pounds.

I'm gettign my period. I just read that you're spread eagle on an operating table in a room full of people totally naked while the doctor stands between your legs? WTF?

That sounds like my worst nightmare come true. Then I read on here how so many people don't even drop weight, can't have their fav foods ever again and are on lifetime doctor visit supports for things like twisted ports and erosion or stuck stuff or whatever.

I'm REALLY very very nervous. I'm sorry because i don't wnat to spread the freaking out to other people awaiting surgery but I could use a little support.

Dont believe that crap. You can watch the surgery on www.youtube.com . Just type in lap band. The doctor is not standing between your open legs. You are on an operating table, covered with two gowns and they open the gown to get to your stomach. I know how you feel. My docs were young an cute. But dont worry about it. Its not horrific and you wont be embarrassed. You will be asleep and not even realize when you went out, and feel like its over in no time. I was scared shitless for nothing. You will feel very dry when you wake up and feel like you have some pressure in your chest. Bring some chapstick and a pillow for the ride home. I went home same day about 6 hours later and was fine. You might feel pain in shoulder, arm, and neck. But that is all gas pains. You'll only feel sore where your incisions are, but that goes away quickly. Take your pain meds whether you need them or not. They will also help you sleep better. Make sure you walk as much as possible to prevent blood clots, like with all surgery. I felt hungry during the two weeks on liquids but was told its normal and just head hunger. Good luck- it will be over soon and you will be the one helping people to not be afraid.:sad_smile:

As a nurse who has spent time in the OR I can tell you you are never left exposed for any procedure. Only the part that is being operated on is uncovered, the rest is covered with blue surgical drapes. Nursing and OR techs take care of all that before the surgeon enters the room. And why an abdominal procedure would be performed between ones legs remains a mystery to me! I have only seen the surgeon at your side for abdominal work. Someone trying to scare you?

Relax, you'll be in la-la land and not have a care in the world :sad_smile:

Thank you so much, all of you. I am trying very hard not to give in to panic. Your words mean so much.

I love this site. We are are in it together. The beauty of experiences had and those to come. I want to add to keep a positive mind and just believe in your success with the lapband. It is good to do research and be knowledgeable of all possible outcomes but you have to keep perspective. There is more good than bad so don't take one bad experience or so you read and let it outweigh all the good you have read. I relate to you because I have done that too but then I put my thoughts in perspective. This is life changing and you know what, we want our life to change. My surgery is Tuesday and I believe good things are to come. It will be ok, so don't worry.

Okay, I recommend checking out Youtube for real banding surgies. You can see from the videos that you are somewhat covered. I am not sure what they call the material, but it is a light blue color and appears to be made out of cotton.

There are a couple of ways to perform the procedure. The doctor can stand between the patient's legs, but again you are covered with the light blue color cotton drape. Or the doctor can perform the procedure from your side.

This is a great video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHzljCq2jbk&feature=PlayList&p=B723FF4F01435CB2&index=0]YouTube - Live Lap-Band® Surgery Part 1 of 5 - Kansas City[/ame]

The video is broken into I believe 5 sections.

I hope the video help you.

Thanks it helps to know I'll be covered.. but there's not a snowballs chance in heck I'm watching the surgery! HOLY COW. Maybe after but definitely not now!

bethm,

My surgeon made me watch a training video from Australia of the surgery being performed during my consultation and it clearly states the surgeon stands between the patients legs. However, the entire lower half was covered up with blue gowns, the top half was covered up, the only thing exposed was the stomach. Course my surgeon is old, so I am not worried about that part, but I did see all the posts with all the people on here with complications and those that had their bands removed and after being so excited over all this, I started getting really scared. I have one day left. Surgery is this Wed. 12/10. Good luck to us.

I had my surgery yesterday. I was so scared at one point I really wanted to tell them that I wanted to go home. I'm so glad I didn't cos I feel really good. The only discomfort I've had (not even enough to call pain) is in my shoulders. I really wish I knew how easy it would be cos I was sooooo nervous. Good luck and I'm sure you will be fine

If you get really nervous before you go into surgery, let the nurses know. They will bring you something to relax you. My nurse was so helpful during my experience. They are so great. The surgery itself really isn't half as bad as what people claim.

I had my surgery earlier today. I am still in the hospital using their wireless network. Yes, shoulder discomfort more than anything. I do not have problems with my abdominal area. I felt nervous too and thought about stopping the process and had those thoughts even in the actual operating room while they were prepping me. I prayed, talked to myself and I am so glad I finished. But yes, if you get nervous ask for something. No regrets.