Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My eating got derailed last night.....

Hi Everybody. This is my first post, although I've been reading this board for months and feel that I've gotten to know a lot of you already.

I was banded on 10/29/2008. I followed the pre and post diet instructions to the letter and am down 23 pounds. I've been making healthy food choices and walking for 30 minutes every day.

Then, last night.....I snapped. I don't know what happened. I had a normal day, no unusual stress, but at about 9:00pm, I became ravenous! I tried eating some some cottage cheese, but that didn't help. Then I moved on to pita chips and hummus. Finally I broke open a box of Christmas Cookies and ate more than I care to admit. I went to sleep feeling miserable.

This morning I decided to go back on liquids for 24 hours. I had a Protein Shake for Breakfast and feel pretty much back in control of things for the moment. But last night really scared me. After nearly two months of eating reasonably, I couldn't believe how quickly I fell back into my old eating habits.

I want to lose this weight for the last time and keep it off. I want to have a healthy relationship with food. I want to live to see my grandchildren!

Will binge eating always be a struggle I have to fight? Does it get easier? My first fill is coming up next next Wednesday. I hope that will help.

I really appreciate this forum and all the support it offers. Thanks!

Mim

weight.png

Congrats on being down 23 pounds that is great! And keeping up with your exercise is awesome. The eating habits we developed over several years will not resolve immediately, because we are now banded. However, the band is a great tool to help you take one step at a time to developing new healthy eating habits.

Bravo for recognizing the issue and moving forward. It will take time, but you can do it!

Good luck.

Thank you for your responses. I stayed on liquids all day and had Soup for dinner yesterday. That same impulse to binge came back again last night, but I just went to bed early and tried to ignore it. I wish I could get back to that comfortable place I was in before where I wasn't even thinking about a binge. Hopefully that will come with time.

Mim

weight.png

The next time you get the urge, you might want to take a moment to see if you recognize what triggered (i.e. stress, emotions,...). Also, if you continue to have the urge to binge, you might want to consider setting up an appointment with a counselor to help get to the root of why you want to binge. I have been seeing a counselor that deals with food related issues. It has helped me a lot. Good luck to you.

Mim.....I could have wrote that myself. I am over 2 years out and still have these little episodes. I actually just had one also. For me it doesn't matter how much fill I have, I seem to eat past and around it. I am very proud of the amount of weight you have lost, and the ability to be able to admit your flaws(not failures). I have decided that I need to seek counceling for this. Just like you, I have no stress or unusual circumstances that I can pinpoint, to say THATS WHAT IT WAS. Which makes it even more difficult to deal with. You said it perfectly, I just SNAPPED! Please keep me informed on your progress, I am interested in whether you find a solution. Maybe for you (hopefully) this is just a once in a band experience. Good Luck to you and remember, anything can be fixed as long as we acknowledge it and are willing to change.

Hi Mim,

I think you're just ready for your first fill,that's all :thumbup: . I was banded on the Nov. 3rd so i'm right there with you. Occassionaly I will feel all of a suddent really hungry and then i'm back to being fine again. I think after you have your fill,you'll feel better.

Congrats on the 23 pounds :lol: .

I just thought of something else. Maybe you're actually just really thirsty. Have you increased your exercise lately ?That might be the cause of you being hungrier as well. Another thing that triggers binge eating for me ,is when i'm really tired.

I'm thrilled to report that last night went great! I had a cup of (sugar-free) cocoa with my son at about 8:00pm while we were watching TV. That left me feeling satisfied and comfy. I didn't need anything else.

TheGirlNextDoor - I think you may be onto something about confusing thirst for hunger. I've never been good at keeping hydrated. I rarely "feel" thirsty and usually forget to drink Water during the day. When I was on liquids I was much more aware of it and I always had a Protein drink late in the evening before I went to bed. I think I will go back to doing that for a while.

LaurieGee - I'm so sorry that you experience this too, although it's reassuring that in spite of it, you have lost 105 pounds! What an accomplishment! When I've told close friends about bingeing, they usually say something along the lines of "well, just stop." (As if it were that easy!) I believe there is truly a physiological imbalance going on. The terrifying part for me is not knowing how long it's going to last.....1 night, 1 week, 1 month? After all, that's how I got to 231 pounds in the first place.

Slim-n-TN - I'm sure there are underlying anxiety issues about food that cause me to binge - being poor and underfed as a child, death of a parent, abuse. I really thought I had recognized and dealt with these issues, but obviously they are still there. Has counseling taught you specific techniques for moving on once and for all?

Again, I'm so grateful for this forum. Reading about other people's journey has been incredibly helpful. Thank you all for your encouragement and advice.

Edited by Mim

Slim-n-TN - I'm sure there are underlying anxiety issues about food that cause me to binge - being poor and underfed as a child, death of a parent, abuse. I really thought I had recognized and dealt with these issues, but obviously they are still there. Has counseling taught you specific techniques for moving on once and for all?

Right now, we are still working on my recognizing what is really behind my want/need to eat. For example, when my DH and I get into an argument, recognizing that within an hour of that time, I am in the kitchen searching for something to eat. I know I am not hungry, but learning to recognize that I am really looking for comfort rather than the food. It gets tough because we are so used to eating without thinking about it. It comes from years of doing that. I struggle with that every day. I have to make myself slow down. Then stop to think about whether I am really hungry or just wanting control/comfort over whatever my situation is at the time. I wish us all the best.