Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Doctor's appointment

I get banded on 12/12. Today I had to meet with one of my primary care Doctor's, get blood work and EKG. The Doctor said he was going to Fax my Lap band surgeon and tell him I was not a good candidate for this surgery. He seems to think that if I just watch what I eat and excercise I would lose all the weight. Well, DUHH! I need this tool to tell me when I am full. I need to be reminded everyday that I can't eat everything in sight. He also told me that at 100lbs overweight I was not "morbidly obese". I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a 40 BMI. My Lap band doc said they were going to try to talk me out of the surgery. Did any of your Doctor's out there try to talk you out of the surgery? If so, would like to hear. Also, I am a cash patient for the band. My insurance wouldn't even pay for the Dr. visit or lab work. :cursing:

wow, i can't believe your doctor would stand in your way like that! i'm so sorry you have to go through this. do you need his referral in order to get the surgeon to see you? if not, then I would just talk to the surgeon and explain that you doc and you have different views and that you are committed to the banding process.

sometimes i think people (doctors or not) underestimate how difficult it is to lose huge amounts of weight. my doc is thankfully very supportive and even told me that he thinks that you reach a point weight wise where it's impossible to lose a lot of weight by diet and exercise alone - your body and mind work against you and you need an external tool to facilitate the process (like lap band).

good luck, and don't let you doctor prevent you from making the right decision for you.

Thanks, Babe!

I had already met with the surgeon and got the ball rolling. I just needed to meet with my personal Doctor as a part of the process. I hope his opinion doesn't effect anything. I knew they were going to try to discourage me. Sometimes I wonder if they get paid extra for writing Rx for high blood pressure, high colesterol, etc. God forbid they lose a patient to healthiness!

Everytime I go to the doctor, they tell me I need to lose weight...even if they are seeing me for a sprained toe. Now all of the sudden I'm not that overweight.

FRUSTRATING!

If you're a self pay, you don't need his "permission". If you have other co-morbidities, get other doctors to help you if need be. All of my doctors supported me on it, but I needed their help with my insurance. So I got letters from my Rhuemetologist, my Cardiologist, my OB/GYN and a nutritionist. It worked like a charm. I was denied twice by my insureance. It wasn't until I did this that they were finally convinced. I suggest you get a new primary care physician. It helps when they're supportive. Mine checks my B-12 levels, helps with Constipation issues, etc. I'm constantly amazed at the number of doctors that are completely ignorant regarding LapBand. When I went to my rhuemetologist, she was on vacation one visit. Her back up physician saw me. When she noticed in my chart that I had a LapBand, she was curious. She had never had a patient with one so she wanted to see my scars and examine my port etc. She must have asked me 30 questions. After our discussion, she was EXCITED about it. so just chalk up your doctor's reaction to ignorance. Even though my primary care doctor supported me, he has been dumbfounded at my success. He didn't think I would have this level of success. so now he's recommending my surgeon to many of his other patients.

My PCP was also not supportive at a BMI of 40. My PCP had seen me struggle through diets and my weight for 10 long, tedious, unhappy years . . . and he still wasnt convinced this was an appropriate choice for me given my age, lack of other health conditions, etc. A BMI of 40 is downright unpleasant regardless of lack of co-morbidities.

It is not uncommon for this to happen. However, as a self-pay patient who meets the minimal criteria . . . your doctor really can't stop you from moving forward.

I would like to go back to my prior PCP just to let him know how my life has changed and how I have lost 100% of my excess weight. However, I have switched doctors already to find someone a little more understanding of my health care choices.

I could have understood him better if it had been something like the desire for a boob or nose job . . . but I was headed straight for my families diabetes and heart problems at the rate I was going.

Why wait to be sick and less healthy for surgery options when you can fix it in advance??? It isn't a matter of sheer vanity.

Hey Jitterbug: It is time to get a new primary care doctor. Plus, when you are self-pay you don't need your PC doctor to recommend the procedure.

Thanks for all of your support. I am so excited to get the band in 5 days!! I am seriously considering a new Primary Doctor. Good Luck to all:)

While you don't need your Primary care physician if you are selfpay you really need one who is on board for your follow up care - someone who understands that band and that you can feel comfortable talking about your concerns with. Surgeon's can be good for follow up but you need a pcp who you feel comfortable disucssing band related health concerns with.

This is aalso a real bummer if you need a letter for insurance about medical neccessity. I have heard of this happening before.

My PCP (now ex) was against me getting lap-banded. Seriously within two weeks of being banded, I was fired as his patient. I cried for a day, and was upset, but decided I was on to bigger and better choices in my life, and a new PCP was in order too. I found a phsyician that is a much better fit for me. Who has more experience with the lapband. And also seems to be MUCH more there for me. So just be forewarned that you may end up walking my road, and get fired too. Or find that visits with him/her so stressful you are making yourself sicker. So not that the banding is a bad idea, just pay attention to how you're feeling if you need to see your primary in the future.

Funny thing happened last weekend. I saw my EX pcp walking down main street in my town. And I nearly VOMITTED I made myself so sick seeing him in a social setting. How could I have been his "patient" for 18 yrs? Thank God he fired me.

Teri

My PCP (now ex) was against me getting lap-banded. Seriously within two weeks of being banded, I was fired as his patient. I cried for a day, and was upset, but decided I was on to bigger and better choices in my life, and a new PCP was in order too. I found a phsyician that is a much better fit for me. Who has more experience with the lapband. And also seems to be MUCH more there for me. So just be forewarned that you may end up walking my road, and get fired too. Or find that visits with him/her so stressful you are making yourself sicker. So not that the banding is a bad idea, just pay attention to how you're feeling if you need to see your primary in the future.

Funny thing happened last weekend. I saw my EX pcp walking down main street in my town. And I nearly VOMITTED I made myself so sick seeing him in a social setting. How could I have been his "patient" for 18 yrs? Thank God he fired me.

Teri

Wow! This is amazing. Why on earth would a PC not support a patient achieve a healthier lifestyle? Crazy.:tt1:

Truthfully, I think he thinks I'll be less income for him. Everytime I go in it would be charged as a extended visit. Even if all he did was write new scripts. So that's my personal opinion. And of course he wouldn't need to write so many with me being healthier.

Teri

Hello

I am going in for my consultaion next week,but as for my doctor I have not told her yet.I had mentioned this before and she laughed saying I didn't need to do this.I am a diabetic on meds,high cholesterol and heart disease in family.I am 100lbs overweight also.I am going to her January 6th,I figured I would get some ammunition before I see her.

Any advice??

Cathy

Hello

I am going in for my consultaion next week,but as for my doctor I have not told her yet.I had mentioned this before and she laughed saying I didn't need to do this.I am a diabetic on meds,high cholesterol and heart disease in family.I am 100lbs overweight also.I am going to her January 6th,I figured I would get some ammunition before I see her.

Any advice??

Cathy

My advice is to keep moving forward with your pursuit of WLS. If your primary care doctor will not support your efforts to gain a healthy life, then find a new PC. Do this for you. It is that important and don't give up!:(

My PCP didn't want me to have the surgery. It didn't seem to matter that I had tried dozens of diets, had a BMI of 42, and was beginning to show signs of several comorbidities.

She wanted me to do a medically supervised weight loss program for a year before I even considered the surgery. The program was expensive and my insurance wouldn't cover it. Plus, it was across town and required visits 3 times a week. Between the cost and the time, I knew she was setting me up for failure.

She tried to convince me that the surgery was dangerous. It was clear to me that she didn't understand the difference between a bypass and a band. It was also clear to me that she didn't understand the dangerous position my weight put me in.

Fortunately, my insurance company didn't seem to care what my PCP said. They approved the surgery anyway and it was completely covered. I've lost 33 pounds since I started this process in early August and I couldn't be happier.

My pre-op check up was done by a doctor recommended by a friend. She didn't seem put off by my decision, but I spent a total of about 3 minutes talking to her. She's at a university hospital and most of the actual appointment was conducted by other people.

I'm going to see her again on Friday for a regular check up. If I'm not happy with her reaction to my surgery, I'll ask my surgeon to recommend a PCP. I figure he'll know at least one or two docs who are supportive of the band process. Not only do I trust my surgeon (duh), but I love his attitude and perspective. I'd love to find a PCP with a similar outlook.

How'd the surgery go? It was scheduled for last Friday, right?

Thank you for sharing your story. I found my PCP to be very unprofessional. He actually had the nerve to ask me how much I was paying because my insurance wouldn't cover it.

I did have the Surgery on Friday. It went well. It was a couple days in bed for me (because I could:)

My Surgeon asked for my PCP's number and was going to call and "educate" him. I will find out if he did on Saturday the 20th. for my follow up. The liquid diet is harder than I thought it would be. I seldom feel 'full'. I don't want to do anything to risk it, so I will abide by the rules:) Congrats on your weight loss. I can't wait until I have lost that much.