Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not motivated...need help!!!

Hi All,

I haven't been on here communicating with you all for the past 4 to 5 months. Most of this is due to the fact that I've been at a plateau for that long. It started when we moved out of our old home to my mother-in-laws, while our new house was being built. Because of this, we ate out EVERDAY. Well I've been in my new home for 2 and a half months and cant get off this bad road. I know that I'm doing everything wrong. I havent been eating right, not taking Vitamins, and not exercising like I used to. I need some help and motivation.

Thanks.

Do a little at a time. Take a Vitamin a day. That's very little effort and is a positive step.

Move a little more, eat a little better. Have a plan, like you'll do 10% more every week.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

if you've got limited mobility and not moved much at all, try jogging in place while you watch tv even if it's just during commercials.

also, see your doc about a fill. don't be ashamed to go back. all of us slip up and it's important to use all the resources you have. you can get back on track.

All this advice is solid - and you know it! I think the fill advice is particularly good. I lost a lot of weight unfilled, then started coasting, and eating badly, and gaining. Then I stopped myself, kicked myself hard for losing sight of the prize, went to the MD and got a fill. Since then, I've learned the uncomfortable, ugly price of over-eating. It's been easy to deal with eating less - I eat what I like, avoiding certain foods, I just eat less. And I'm losing again.

Just let the band work. If you really want to lose weight, get the fill - the band will control you when you cannot control yourself.

Hi, JDUB! I haven't been posting for a long time either, but for different reasons. For the last 6 months, I've been struggling with fills -- too much, too little, slipped band (twice!), etc. :eek: But I kept going back to the doc's office and we're now trying something new in the way that fills are done. No more measuring what's in the band because it seems that was causing excessive swelling. So, here I am in the new year with my band finally adjusted properly :tt2: and like an idiot, now I'm eating all the wrong foods. Ugh. Must... control.... myself! :rolleyes:

Enough about me -- back to you. Let's re-commit here. You've got a lot more control over your life now that you're in your own home. How are you doing since you posted? Did the advice you were given help? What are you doing to get back on track?

hey JD -- I remember you very well. It's great to see you back. I lost most of my weight within the first 4 or 5 months. It's been very slow since then. My eating hasn't been bad but I didn't exercise. It also took me a long time to get my band adjusted to where it should be. But now my BMI is down to 30 from 43. I found that PT helped me deal with muscle and joint pain so I could exercise. I also found that starting exercise in a gentle and slow way worked much better for me than just going at it full-tilt boogie. I started with CURVES because I knew I could do 30 min every other day. It was all I could handle. After 3 wks I got use to going someplace and I decided to go to Planet Fitness (which is running a 1 year plan right now for $99!!!). I started there by just using the treadmill on the days I didn't go to CURVES for just 30 mins. Then I added, then recumbent bike and quickly went to the upright. Now I'm dropping CURVES and switching to the Planet Fitness weight machines because I'm strong enough from CURVES). I found that going to CURVES or the gym in a routine way help motavate me to eat well.

JD--yesterday I went to something called the Summit House. It's a really old building on top of the highest peak in my area. I live in a valley of hills. It's the first time I ever went there. I had to climb 4 flights of stairs to get to the top of building. The view was absolutely glorious ---- but what was even MORE glorious was that I wasn't even breathing hard or breaking a sweat when I got to the top!! Before I lost this weight and did a little exercise I wouldn't have bothered even trying that. I have my life back! So -- what is something that you truly and dearly loved to do that you stopped doing? When you lose more weight -- you will be SO thrilled to do it again. Please hang in there with us.

Edited by Desdemona

I'm in the same boat with motivation! Everything was so easy to begin with and now I know I need outside support to get rid of this last 50 pounds. After being away from this forum for many months, I'm back to find support. It is reassuring to read your posts.

4MyHealth and others who need motivation help -- come on over to the March Master lapband thread -- link below and join in encouraging others on that thread and also start tracking weight progress weekly with those of us who wanted to feel accountable for a weekly weigh in and be able to look back on when he hit different milestone goals. I'm with you with lots left to lose and I'd appreciate you encouraging me and I'll do the same back at ya!

March Master Thread

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f114/march-bandsters-master-thread-53908/

March Shrinking Shamrocks Weekly Friday Weigh in Accountability Thread

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f114/shamrocks-friday-weight-85282/

Edited by SpecialK

Hello...I am soooo like you with the fills....I am on the edge. Right now I don't feel that I am filled enough, because I can pretty much eat anything I want. But when I go to get a fill, a small amount is too much and I'm gagging and foaming. That seems to be the only time I lose....Is when I'm too tight and can't eat anything. I need motivation!!! I only need to lose 30 more pounds and this seems to be the hardest!!! LOL HELPPP

I find myself in the same boat as well...I was banded on March 18th, 2008 and I have found that I've only lost 62lbs and 6 sizes in that time...to make matters worse my old roommate had the surgery in Dec 2007 and has dropped so much weight that she is a totally different looking person now. I was unable to get a fill in over a year and just started going back but I'm finding myself getting frustrated and down at my lack of weight loss all the time...I feel like I failed. I recently got a gym membership and I've started working out 5 days a week for about an hour or two each day...but I'm still so down on myself...has anyone else had this issue of not losing??