Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Oh and I walked my 3 miles today @ the Lafayette Reservoir. It was pouring on us, but it still felt great!! Maybe sometime this summer we can all make a date and do it. There's so many hills, turns, etc. but worth the good feeling!

Jes, that is so funny that you saw her at the store...what a riot!

I would love your broth reciepe, I am not much of a cook but part of the new me is to cook more so send me anything you got.

Laurel, I love won ton Soup so that is a great idea on getting the broth. I for sure going to do that.

Tamara, so proud of you being so focused! Keep it up.

Chrissy, you rock baby! Whoo hoo!

I got my walk in today before the rain came down to hard so I feel better that I am not to far off track now.

I have presurgery apt with Dr Park on Wednesday. Need to make sure I don't gain anything.:confused:

Guest sodapop

omg Ali are you so excited or what??!!!!! Congrats!

Hi all

Jes and Tam - Thanks for the early B'day wishes. I am taking tomorrow off to Celebrate.< /p>

Chrissy - you are doing so amazing. WoW - keep up the great work. I'm happy for you.

Ali - you'll be there in no time. I got chicken noodle Soup and strained it for the broth because I couldn't stand the regular chicken broth. The only bad thing is that it has a lot of sodium. During the full liquid stage when you can have creamed Soups, I pureed Progresso's black bean soup flavored with bacon - it had more Protein than the regular creamed soups and seemed to hold me better.

Laurel - everyone's weight loss is different. I think you are doing great - just think about it in relation to how fast you lost weight before surgery - it is likely that losing that much in a month would never have happened. As long as it is going down you are doing fine.

John - you are so funny - prison labor!! You are doing so well - I envy your 5lbs a week!

Lee - you are also amazing and so positive. I will definately try to make the next Kaiser Richmond meeting.

Jes - I think your spring renewal sounds great - I am glad it seems to have kicked the restriction back in.

Donna - Happy 24 - wow! Congrats. Hope Tahoe is fun.

CoCo - sorry you were not well, but I am also now going to try a 3 week challenge for my Dr. Park appt. This weekend my eating was a little better but not great - I need to go all the way back to being totally by the book - measuring and no snacking.

Mo - glad you had a good active week.

Riley - you left the meeting early and I didn't get to give you a hug. Why don't we get together next weekend for a walk?

Candra - where are you? Are you OK? Don't stay away.

Regarding fills, I went to the So. Co. Weight loss support group saturday and they have the local bariatric surgeon, Dr. Woodbury, who does a lot of WLS answer questions at the end of the meeting. I asked him about why there seems to be different philosophies about fills - fewer larger ones vs. many more frequent smaller one. He said there are some different schools of thought. He said he was trained by Dr. Obrien who is the founder of lap band surgery in Australia. He said that in order for your brain to receive the message from your stomach that you are full, you stomach walls needs to expand/stretch and it is that process that sends the signal to your brain. By gradually increasing the restriction, he said that your new pouch expands a little and sends that signal. He said if you overfill, then people tend to adopt maladjustive behaviors (eating softer foods, drinking liquids that don't expand the stomach walls and send that signal). He believes also that the overfilling can lead to the complications like the stretched esophagus, slipped band or the band eroding.

He also said there is a school of thought that does the fills by doing a barium swallow and looking at the size of the opening that the liquid goes through. He doesn't subscribe to that because he doesn't think that is a better way and that learning to eat to fill the pouch to the right amount is very important to sending that full signal to the brain and he also says that doing that many xrays has negative effects as well.

For those of you stuck on a plateau, there was another member there who is now a triathlete and he spoke about the importance of varying what you eat, the amount you eat and the type and intensity of your workout to move your plateau. He said your body adjusts to the lower calories and to the same exercise routine and what was once 'hard' becomes 'easy' for it. He suggested varying the food and the exercise. I think it is worth a try.

Finally, I finished reading Coleen Cook's book the Successful Strategies of Weight Loss Surgery patients. It has a section on getting back on track. So here are some tid bits that struck a cord with me:

• Fearing Success
    -- "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." Maryanne Williamson

-- " my entire life I have blamed everything on my weight. And if weight-loss surgery were to succeed, what would I blame my shortcomings on?" from a patient on the show Chicago Hope
  • - Successful Failure
    -- "Obesity is a disease much like alcoholism; there is no 'cure.' Rather, there are habits one can develop to treat the disease through the remainder of life. I recognize now more than ever that I am not normal; my body is different than that of a thin person. It metalbolizes food differently; it requires constant monitoring of the calories in/calories out balance to maintain a healthy weight. While I had won the battle, the war was still going on and whenever I turned my back on it, I would be struck with another pound or two...Each success habit is important in its own right, but it is the constant adherence to ALL of them that fosters life-long change.
    One thing I know for sure is that weight-loss surgery patients are some of the strongest, most resilient, committed, never-say-never people I have ever met.
    We are well acquainted with failure. We know what it takes to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and do whatever it takes to meet out goals. But as experienced as we are with winning and losing, admitting and taking responsibility for our failures is never easy, but we must learn to becomes successful failures."
    "...I believe you undoubtedly have your own food obsession stories, hang ups and tempatations...May I encourage you to recognize your mistakes, take responsibility for them, own them, learn from them and do watever it takes to become a 'successful failure.'"Colleen Cook

-- "For winning is no more than this: to rise each time you fall." from The Race by anonymous

Love to all my surgery sisters and brother!

Have a good Monday.

Edited by wantshealth

Hi Y'all! I hope everybody is doing well. Been doing ok, challenges but confident that I will see the scale move downwards :-). I have been quite busy as well.

Donna- I am checking in.

Welcome to all new folks and congrats to all close to goal.

Pat- thanks for the words of encouragement I really need it.

Candra- girl you know you are always welcome.

You guys have a good week!

Top of he morning everybody! Today is that brand new day we are refer to... Let's make it happen! Have a great week....on program. Where ever you are in this process.

Smile :thumbup:

Good Mon Morn All! Hope this day finds everyone doing well and ready for a good week, despite the blustery day!

Reggie & Jes, always so good to c u ladies on the board!

Congrats to all our newcomers and beatin down the pre-op weight, Ash u go girl...what a cute family too!

Ali, conrats on your date, we r here for you as it gets closer!

PAT...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, SWEET MAMA! Thanks for the encouraging words, AND the well wishes...just need to say, YOU are an inspiration to me, I hope u can see the differences as much as we can!

Tahoe/Truckee was just what the Dr. ordered, we had a blast, just the 2 of us! Was still tight in the morn, but had some good egg variations for the warm hot breakfasts!

Ready to Celebrate our 24th tonight, now I can officially say we are a workin on 25! Have a blessed day of healthy choices everyone! :thumbup:

Morning all,

At Kaiser getting some papers signed for school. Weighed in at 224.4 only 4.6 lbs down since I had a fill back in March. Teaches me cheating is not worth it.

Happy Birthday Pat!!!! Xoxo!!!!

Hey All,

Welcome Rachelle - ok, so I'm a little late but I haven't been on for a minute - forgiveness is a must! I have Doc Fisher and let me tell you - I think he's the bomb! I gained 4lbs in 2 weeks on the 1200 cal diet! He told me what to do and the weight just fell off! Cut the carbs, baby! I feel like he looks at me like an individual person and not just a medical record number. That might not be tru but at least he makes me feel like it is hahahaha

Mo - I'm here and you know I will keep comin back - you got my number girlfriend so holla - even if it's just a quick txt to say Hiya! Love the new pic and you look fabulous!

John - wow convict - what a success on that weight loss - I don't really want you in the desert either tho - not the best place to be barfing! Gotta get some pictures up so we can see the new bod!

Reggie - Thanks for the welcome - I think I just may have to take a trip out soon - will you be at the point west group - I won't be able to stay too long - gotta be at my girls sweet 16th b-day party but I'm hoping to see you!

Donna - how are you ?? Hope to see you too on the 24th!

Riley Jane - hope you're better by now - I find it absolutely impossible that you are missing Mojo. wish I had some to give LOL. Did you know that the #1 reason people gain wait is a new relationship/falling in love?? #2 is winning the lottery hahaha. Personally, I think #1 should be bad parenting - no way I whould have been such a beast at 8 years old! I use to drink pepsie (no, not diet!) for b-fast - what kinda mother does that - LMAO

Ash - gettin close, my love! exciting!! Your boys are way too cute

TamTam - one question.... I need to know your secret sista - how is it that you can mess up so much and still lose so much ?? Are you just exercising 24/7 or are you on speed? Crack? Cocaine?? WTF! Tell me ur secret? gimme ur metabolism, your mojo !!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a good time yesterday with Coco, Sodapop & JES. Lemme tell you how sodapop just sat there with her little bottle of Water and WATCHED us eat - such will power!

I would also like to say that Rambo is still in action. He isn't letting me gain any wieght. It is so amazing how well this crap works if you actually eat what you are suppose to. That said - I still need to get my head in the game. Exercising is just not what I want to do and I can't seem to bring myself to do it - weather maybe. I haven't had any carbs in about a week. I haven't been to into my liquids though.. I think the cold weather has something to do with that - been drinking some hot teas & coffees - Decaf, of course. but still not as much as I should be drinking although, Doc Who did pardon me from drinking water 24/7 - Love him!

I'm trying to follow in Tina's footsteps - a little less sittin on my ass at the computer and a little more movement in my life -

Have a great one Ya'll

Hey Candra!!!!!!!!! Glad to see you still around!!!!!!! Sounds like you are doing great!!!!

Happy birthday Pat!!!!!!!!

Not much on this end. Haven't barfed in days. Speaking of ends and barfing need to go take some metamucil, sorry TMI! I hope everyone is having a wonderful wet Monday night!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear from you Candra!

John- please elaborate on how the Metamucil helps with weight loss for someone like me who has never had it?

Also today I have only had 1,076 calories!

John - Gotta get some pictures up so we can see the new bod!

Pic attached! OK I wish.........

John- please elaborate on how the Metamucil helps with weight loss for someone like me who has never had it?

One of the side effects of dieting and/or weight loss surgery is being constipated. Taking Benefiber or Metamucil helps you be regular. I was constipated on the 1200 calorie plan and now again on stage IV. Since Sleeved I will never be able to have heavy large meals and will more than likely have to take a Fiber supplement for the rest of my life. More TMI but now I find myself only going to the bathroom (#2) about once a week. I try to weigh myself after that event to ensure some accuracy...

The Richmond program recommends and regularly talks about Benefiber but I spoke to Doc Who and he said the Benefiber recommendation / requirement is only for RNY patients and that Band and Sleeve patients can take either.

post-267045-13813139249388_thumb.jpg

post-267045-13813139249458_thumb.jpg

Lol John. You crack me up.

Hey Candra! I'm glad you got to hang out with Coco & Soda! Totally jealous! (Did you guys get massages?)

We went to a wedding yesterday, his best friend's. It was really nice, would have been better if the weather had cooperated. It was raining for hours! And it was an outdoor ceremony, with a lawn reception. There was a tent which kept us pretty dry, but the lawn started to get pretty muddy. We still had a great time, and when we left the sky was clear and you could see countless stars.

I seem to have dropped the 6 lbs I gained somewhere. So that's nice to see! Still not where I want to be but I'm detoxing on the sugar, gets a little easier each day. (The favors last night were see's candy. This morning I found one someone had snuck in my purse and I threw it right in the trash.

Hi all, just a checkin in...hi John, u so funny...man!

Hi Heather, congrats on the losin AND resistance muscle...that had to be a tough one...good 4 u!

Hi Candra, good to see u too!

So hubby brought home a beautiful pink rose, what a honey! We enjoyed a sweet anniversary dinner w/ our son Tim, and still missing our son David..but talked to my Mom! Looks like sun (even some clouds)is on the way!

Donna - Happy Anniversary! Here's to 25 more! Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes I see that difference and sometimes not. I have lost and gained the same 2 lbs for a few weeks now so it is hard not to be making progress. I am doing a little more exercise which is good - not where I should be but it is better than nothing.

I got a WebCam for my Birthday, so now I can see my son when I talk to him in DC.

AND GUESS WHAT? The best birthday present - he got a job!!!! He has been in DC since mid July and now after 9 months has finally gotten a great job with the "Green the Capitol" office on Capital Hill. I am so happy and excited for him.

My hubby spoiled me - I had seen a really cute outfit in the Jones of NY outlet store and he bought it for me on Easter weekend so I didn't expect any more gifts. Then he gave me the WebCam tonight, and a cute yoga outfit, plus a gift certificate to go to the movies on the weekend. He's a sweetie.

John - you crack me up. Come on - you can post a pic - you are down 115lbs for crying out loud!!!

And I too am taking the full dose of benefiber! I think maybe not exercising is part of it. When I was walking everyday I wasn't having problems but the last few weeks not so good. Soooo I am trying to drink extra Water and get back to walking (and keep taking the benefiber.)

Candra - so glad you are back and doing OK - glad Rambo is working. I just have a few weeks before I see Dr. P and I hopefully will get my fill - I can eat anything and a lot - I do hope she gives me enough so I can feel something.

Heather - I love weddings! Sounds like it was fun. Glad the extra Lbs are gone. I think you need to talk to the Dr. again - you have been dedicated for so long. It is your time now.

OK everyone, Have a good Tuesday.