Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Morning everyone!

Welcome home Lee! How was the trip? I missed the CNN show, I will try to find it on demand do you happen to have Comcast?

Ashley that sucks about the meeting! I agree with Jess contact Member Services, and if not do the $1 meeting. Also heard John Muir meetings are good, in fact Dr Baggs told me about them before surgery so I didn't have to drive to Richmond.

Hey all,

Feeling like a total failure - eating way off program - haven't been on the scale in a month but my measurments & clothes still fit the same Hmmm? Scale not working so I will need to get a new one but I'm afraid of what it will say LOL

Trying to see about goin to the PW group this weekend but I may have an opportunity to work so ..... We shall see -

Ash - I'll come to your meetings since they will probably be pretty close to me so lemme know!

Tamra, trip was good but I find that restaurants give me "one bite too many itis". I have to get that in check. I always think I can have that last bite but it pushes me over the edge. The Sleeve is not friendly to "one bite too many". I did make great food choices though. I found a Mexican place near my hotel, where I could get an order of grilled shrimp and black Beans to go. I just kept it simple.

Candra honey, I'm so sorry to hear you sounding so down on yourself. Forget the number on the scale for today. What can you do to get back on track, one meal, one hour at a time? How can I/we help you with that? I hate to see you struggling and feeling down.

Hi Everyone!

Candra - Sorry to hear you are having some trouble. Get back on track tonight! Hope to see you Saturday, understand if you have to work.

Lee – I read the CNN blogs on that story and yes some were idiots. I see that you said: The Sleeve is not friendly to "one bite too many". Did anything come back up? Curious as I’ve had several episodes and you have done so well!

I’m a bit hungry today more then I have felt since surgery.

Candra same here, off track horribly but clothes still fitting good thank god. Lots going on in my life, moving, getting my babe into school, me trying to go to school, etc and I turn to my best friend = food.< /strong>

Dont worry you will get back on track!!!!!

John, I've had a couple of episodes of eating what must have been one bite too many and it did come back up. I was grateful that it did because I felt better afterwards. Three butterflied shrimps are too much... really? I seem to be at two ounces of dense Protein. Maybe I was just testing it more this week? Dunno but tonight I spit that last bite of salmon out because I was afraid it would be too much and that was the last bite of 2 ounces. Didn't have anything else with it, just that. I know that the book says we can have 1/4 to 1/3 cup of protein, then a little fruit or veggies, but there's hardly room for that after the protein.

Lee- How was the EG meeting? What Mexican restaurant did you try? I'm bummed you were in my part of town and I was stuck in the gym. It would have been nice to finally meet!

Hi everyone,

I am so glad tomorrow if Friday; crazy week.

Lee, I meet with Liz in 2 weeks and she will give me a date; I am going to request something around May 24th so that will still be a ways out. I just have so much going on that I want to schedule it at the right time. Doing it then will put me off through my son's graduation and my other son's football camp which would be great. Plus I have so much going on the next few weeks that it will help keep me busy and focused. I am excited.

Sounds like you make great food choices...grilled shrimp and black Beans sound delicious!

Candra, I hope you can make it Saturday as it would be great to meet you but I understand that bad four letter word--WORK...lol

Laurel, how you doing today?

I watched that CNN piece and it was interesting. I thought it was weird that the young girl had the sleeve and the mom had the lap band...

Oh, the head doctor was telling me she went to a seminar that talked about a new procedure that is under investigation that is a tube they suck out your stomach and makes a pouch (she explained it better than that). So WLS without any surgery at all. She said it will be a few more years before its used but it was looking very promising. Wouldn't that be great for those young adults? It's so hard to be an obsese kid.

good night and happy friday.

I just watched the CNN story. That girl makes me so sad, she hasn't been able to run since she was 5 years old. My greatest fear is raising children with the same food issues I have. It breaks my heart to see children going through this. I started gaining my weight when I was about 10, but I've always been active and able to do many things. My family always ate healthy. When my friends would get candy or fruit Snacks in their lunches I would have a granola bar. We didn't have chips in the house, we only had Desserts on the most special of occasions. My parents prepared healthy meals for us and I still turned out needing WLS. (Don't really know where I was going with this, I just felt so bad for that girl. Heartbreaking).

Bella - If I eat my 1/4 - 1/3 cup Protein, there is rarely any room left for anything else - I eat vegetables maybe once a month and fruit only a couple of times a month - and the fruit is either banana or applesauce. That is why it gets really boring trying to find dense protein that doesn't cause problems - some dense protein I can't eat at all - ie leftover chicken or steak - too dry. If I have pbed on something before, I am afraid to try it again.

There is a fine line between chewing something well so it doesn't get stuck and chewing something too much that it goes through the pouch quicker than I want. I am still learning this and it has been 1 1/2 yrs since I had surgery.

Lee- How was the EG meeting? What Mexican restaurant did you try? I'm bummed you were in my part of town and I was stuck in the gym. It would have been nice to finally meet!

Hi Heather, I went to Baja Fresh. I think it's on Laguna. It's a great place for us post-ops to eat as you can get a small side of any meat/fish and also get a 3oz serving of Beans. I got their grilled shrimp and then got lime slices from the salsa bar to squeeze on the shrimp. They were very yummy. The small side of shrimp and beans was more than enough for 2+ meals. Cheap at $5.50!

The Elk Grove meeting was very unstructured. People talked a lot about Diabetes pre and post op and how to be careful about meds etc. Mostly people just talked over each other. I was not at all impressed with the unstructured attitude, but I was made to feel very welcome. There is some great weight loss success in the room and many with long term success. Next Monday the speaker will be a Plastic Surgeon for anyone interested.

Heather, I'm going to be in Elk Grove again on Monday night but I think you're always in the gym. I have an invitation to dinner at a former Boss/friend's home, but think that I will probably cancel because after teaching for 8 hours, I'm not all that social. If you happen to be free/not in the gym, let me know please. I'd love to meet you. I'll be at the Holiday Inn right next to Mimi's on Stockton off Laguna.

Pammie, I hear ya on having to find out what works and what doesn't. You're so right, it's a fine line between how much to chew and when to stop eating. I figure this is a learning curve and at 5 weeks out there's been so much to learn. I think I'm going through the "you need to just freakin let go of the last bite syndrome". I'm a pretty fast learner. Last night I just spit out the last bite of salmon because a little voice said... i bet that's the one too many!

Heather, it's hard to predict how our kids will grow up but I think that giving them a healthy start with wholesome food is a real bonus. My son too grew up without candy etc. For many years I had huge organic gardens back in the 1970's. When I was a child I went to gardening school, not camp so I loved raising all our veggies. We've always been a home with fresh organic food. Very little was ever processed as we cooked from scratch. The only time Zach got fast food was when the soccer bus stopped on the way to a tournament. He's 36 today. Has been a professional soccer player in South America, has been a professional Muay Thai boxer in Thailand and to this day eats healthier than anyone else I know. I love when he's home visiting because the foods he prepares are always fresh and wholesome. His meals of choice are huge salads for all three meals a day. Unfortunately being in grad school again, he rarely is home enough to prepare all his meals.

So regardless of having heavy parents, it's possible for kids to grow up with great eating habits.

TGIF EVERYONE!!

Gonna be moving this weekend. Urgh.

Heather - I worry about my daughter being overweight because she is such a picky eater but likes bad stuff. I use to belong to a pregnancy forum and there was a thread all about why over weight woman should never have kids because they will have fat babies. It broke my heart!! I was so sad and determined to not let that happen. My daughter was a big baby (9 lbs 4 oz) but my OB told me based on me and her dad being over weight it would happen but to always keep her active later in life, eat right, and she would be ok. She starts dance this April, and soccer when she is almost 5 (prob next summer). So I totally know what you mean.

I was thinking as I was driving for my coffee this morning I love how different we all are, eating, bands vs sleeves, etc. Its sooo interesting to me to see how Lee and John can eat, and then I see Pam can only eat 1/3 cup Protein. Just think its so amazing!

I stress over my babies and their future weight as well. Tam- i was told the same thing by my OB. My hubby has been over weight since he was 12-13 because of an accident that left him couch bound for 3 months. I on the other hand was always chubby or thick but started being over weight after high school. So my worries for my 3 year old is that although he is skinny now, he will gain latter like me and his dad. But my 2 year old has always been chunky (but oh so cute!) and he wont eat any veggies :) So I know he will have a long road ahead of him. But I just have to do the best that I can to keep them active and always offer them a healthy alternative.