Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Encouragement needed!!!

Sigh...

I need some encouragement!

I was banded on November 24 and this has been one of the darkest weeks of my life. I keep asking myself, "What in the world have I done?"

I'm truly depressed. I'm having dreams each night about food. I'm jealous of people on television eating ANYTHING. I'm at a point right now, I'd rather weigh 600 pounds than be dealing with this junk. I can't stop crying.

I'm having gas so bad, that it's hard to breathe at times. I drink 2 oz of something and it's as if I've eaten an entire pizza, I feel so bloated.

Have I made the biggest mistake of my life?

Help me please. :thumbup:

You have done the best thing in your life that you ever could have. You finally woke up to realize that you finally want to life a happy and healthy LONGER life than you ever have before.

You are way to early in the stages of having any regrets. Yes, it will be very difficult at first but you truly need to believe in yourself and that you can do this.

Your gas pains are very normal right now. It will go away but sometimes for some it actually takes longer but remember it is all for the good. I was only able to take in 2 spoonfuls of food each meal for the first week and I survived and so shall you.

If you have never believed in yourself then you better start right now. You are on the road to a HEALTHY NEW LIFESTYLE AND BELIEVE ME IT WILL FEEL DAMN GOOD VERY SOON!

Take each day in a positive light and just believe in yourself and that you can and will do this.

Josephine

Thanks, Josephine.

I'm going to see my doc tomorrow for my 1 week post-op appt and to get these staples out of my tummy.

I think that the road to get here was SO LONG (15 months) that I got way more caught up in the process than thinking about the ramifications of afterwards. Weird, huh.......

Part of it may be my withdrawals from my best friend, food. Going to see my psychiatrist on Tuesday, so hopefully he can give me some coping techniques.

I'm prone to anxiety and depression anyway. I think I've become a little OCD about the entire process.

Thanks for letting me vent here. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

I had some of those same moments and thoughts after I was banded, but I am so glad I had it done now. I still get scared sometimes when I think that this is how it will be for the rest of my life, but the alternative is also scary. I have not been perfect in my eating, but for the most part I have followed the plan. I lost 30 lbs before my surgery and 30 more since my surgery on Aug 26. Yes, I could exercise more and make some better food choices, but this is a learning, evolving process and I feel so much better physically and emotionally now. Realize the feelings and emotions you are going through are normal - it is a huge change in your life. For me, food was my friend and it feels like I lost a friend, but now is the time to change priorities and live life to the fullest.

I was also banded last week on 11/26 and am feeling the bloating but I also know it will pass. Its too early in the game to feel like giving up. WE CAN DO THIS!! No pain No gain. I'm sure you've tried other methods like me to loose the weight but this method unlike others puts a mother of a restriction on us and I think thats one of the biggest things to get over in our heads. Try gas x melts and walk walk walk.:thumbup:

Banded 11/5/08 , I started taking Gaxs X as soon as I got home from the hospital before the pains even started and continued every 8 hours for days. Are you taking anything ? You should be. Also walk as much as possible and a warm heating pad on your stomach or upper arm where it is sore works wonders to . It will pass and you will get to a point where you will say this was soooo worth it.:thumbup: The hunger will subside and you will be able to pass more liquid once the swelling decreases . You will know the swelling went down when food goes down easier. Also if a food comercial comes on tv switch the channel. I couldn't believe how many food commercials were on until I had this surgery. I also eat my small portion with my family then leave the table so I don't have to be around the rest of the food. It is easier if you don't see it. Out of sight, out of mind and that does get easier as time goes by. I am 4 weeks out and it has gotten so much easier but I can't wait until my first fill because I find myself eating just a little more then I should and pushing the limits. Good Luck, Hang in there:thumbup:

This will be your best decision!!Hang in there! Try the GASX strips..they are great. do some things to get your attention diverted..You can eat Soups, you can eat Jello, there are a lot of things you CAN do..including stay occupied by other things besides eating. I had my surgery on Fri and back to work on Monday and havent looked back. Its a lifestyle change..not another fad diet that wont work more than a week or two...its the best thing you could have done for YOURSELF..this is positive!! Dont feel sorry and down in the dumps!

Your emotional issues after surgery are due to your estrogen levels fluctuating per my doctor. She said she sees lots of patients who has this and she prescribes an estrogen patch to wear so that it will help with the ups and downs. Something you might want to call and ask your doctor about. I told her to give me one preop since I can be emotional already and she said that she would.

Hey cheering4tide, Hang in there.

You will get through this one day at a time. I know, because I am right there with you. I was banded on 11/11/08 and had the same feelings as you. What the heck did I do?? But it really does get better. Really, it does!

I started feeling great 7-days post op. On the seventh day, I started driving, shopping, and doing light household chores.

Try and go for walks outside away from the fridge. If it is to cold outside, then walk around the house.

Stay away from the t.v. because there are way to many food commercials projected. Rent movies or borrow dvds from a friend. Chat on this forum to keep yourself occupied.

Make sure you get your fluids in and Protein will help make you feel full. Isopure is at GNC and they have great coolaid type flavors with 40 grams of Protein and low-carbs.

I felt the same way 2 years ago. I have come to realize, which I think a lot of people don't in the beginning, most of us can still eat all the foods we did before. I just eat them in smaller portions. I have been dilligent with exercise so that I am able to eat the treats that I can't and won't live without. I just don't eat as much of them and not as often, which is by choice. I just think that in the beginning you feel like you best friend (food)is dying. Which in reality our best friend is finally put in it place. We will no longer obsess, over indulge, and lose our lives because of our best friend. Our best friend no longer needs to comfort, support, relax, and spend all day, every day with us. We can have more friends now, like exercise, self esteem, pride, and health. These new friends will never make you feel guilty when you spend the day with them. That's one thing that our friend food always seems to do. So my point is, everything in moderation, all your friends should have equal time, no best friends.

Just an additional note about the TV thing and commercials. I went down to my local library and checked out about 6 DVD's the week after my surgery. They are all free and a great way to avoid commercials and keep your mind off of food. People don't even realize they can get free movie rental for up to 2 weeks at their local library. Mine has great movie's not just old VHS stuff but all the new DVD's as well. Try it. I just got back from my 1st. fill. It was a breeze. Thank god for my doctor and this band. You will get to my happy place soon.:thumbup:

Just wanted to post an update...

I'm now almost 6 weeks post-op and doing SO MUCH BETTER. Thank you all for your words of encouragement.

I'm down 30lbs too! WOOHOO!!!

:tongue2::thumbup::):thumbup::cursing::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::tt2::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just wanted to post an update...

I'm now almost 6 weeks post-op and doing SO MUCH BETTER. Thank you all for your words of encouragement.

I'm down 30lbs too! WOOHOO!!!

GREAT !!!!

Have faith in yourself because now you know YOU CAN DO THIS......................

Josephine

Edited by josephine
spelling