Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc has strongly suggested RNY

I went into my first visit with the surgeon with my mind

99 1/2 % made up to have the Lapband. He strongly pushed because of my age 58 and co morbidities to have the RNY.

My BMI is between 35-40, so I am severely obese, but not 100's of pounds to lose. I am 5 foot 8 inches tall and 254 pounds.(70- 80 pounds would be nice.)

I have diabetes (with insulin), sleep apnea, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia.

I actually am scared of the RNY, as it is so drastic, but I told myself to let the Dr. decide. So I will go bravely forward.

I just wish they didn't have such a long waiting list. They are booking into February already. I would just as soon get it over with.

Don:confused_smile:

I am a church organist and also am the music director for the Spring Musical.With the Lapband I could afford the week off, but with the RNY I am sure I will need the 3 weeks.

So to get through the musical and Easter, I guess it will be April for me.:)

Hi there,

I had the same I wanted the band but the surgeon said to have the roux and y, it shocked me I am about the same size as you slightly larger BMI 42. I had the op last Thursday, first two days I can't remember because of the morphine, I came home yesterday 4 days post op but I felt terrible, didn't know what to do with myself. This morning I was able to go to the loo and felt much much better, it seems the gasses play havok. I must admit yesterday I wished I didn't have it done but now I am comfortable. Not able to drive a car for 6 weeks and need to self inject a blood thinner for two weeks, little things I didn;t know about. On the ward there was a nurse who had the band done and she lost 4 stone then her band got a leak and she put all the weight back on plus a stone. She then had the roux and y done and now has lost 5 stone since may. I know it is a big surgery but if the surgeon suggests it he knows best and speaking to lots of people will help. I can't advise on the band as I don't know enough about it but I have seen people go from the band to the roux and y. I wish you well and by the time you have the op I will be feeling great and have lost a lot and can tell you what it is like.

Jane:tt1:

Hello, I'm new here and just wanted to suggest to PianoLover51 that shemight want to consider using some quiet music through headphones during her surgery. I am also a pianist and had surgery a few years ago in which I did this and my recovery time was so much faster than usual because the docs said that with the music, I needed less anesthesia and less anesthesia means a safer, faster recovery! If you want to use what I used, go to www.HealingMusicEnterprises.com/products/surgical_serenity/Surgical_Serenity_Music.html.

This is music is being used in hospitals around the country right now, but has been used by friends and family members for about 10 years now and everyone raves about how much less anxiety meds, pain meds, and anesthesia they need to get the same excellent results! Give it a try!:)

I am so glad that you started this thread! I also have a low BMI - 36.4 - and was interested in the lapband. I went to my PCP today to just discuss it and he said he really felt given my issues with weight and my comorbidities that the lapRNY was the best choice. He said if I REALLY wanted the band to go ahead but he felt that there was more chance for issues later...and I agree. I am concerned with slippage, erosion and port flipping not to mention the upkeep to even get to restriction. SO...RNY it is. I was on another WLS forum and was actually scolded for having a low BMI and having my dr. recommend the lapRNY. I felt really low about that. I HAVE tried everything, I have struggled for 20 years with my weight. I am not HUGE but that doesn't mean it isn't a struggle and something that would improve my health to be without. I have high cholestoral, high triglycerides, borderline metabolic syndrome, arthritis, blah blah blah and I am only 45. I used to be so active and I want that again before I am so old I regret not doing this.

I too want to have the lap band surgery but fear that the surgeon will suggest the other one, I guess I will just have to wait and see, for now I am preparing me self for whatever they decide, by researching all of the options and Im trying to really focus on eating smaller bites and chewing my food more completly because I think that will be one of the bigger habits to break so Im starting now. Im not even close to the surgery I have my orientation on January 19th . I feel like pianolover 51 I think the Doctor would know best so I will really listen to what they have to say about it and not close my mind off to the other options.

Hi---Granted I'm younger--38yo but I have never regreted the band. I've been banded since 6-16-08. My mother is 64 yo and is starting the process of the band right now and she is 5'5 and 276. Not knowing your doc but in my opinion the band is way safer. Pre-op I was diabetic, had sleep apnea, high blood pressure. 2 weeks out from surgery my diabetes and high blood pressure was gone and after 1 month I was no longer on my CPAP. So if you want the band go for it. Sometimes doctors aren't always right. Take care and I hope you make the best choice for yourself. LEah:thumbup:

Edited by Divamom
ticker

Hi Im from Greensburg Pa . Im writing because Im reading these stories about dr.s recemending RNY. Im started in the program at Magee hospital in Pittsburgh. I've attended meetings at three major hospitals(Pittsburgh hospitals are some of the best in the country). At each hospital I've asked which was better and more effective, and got the same answer at each one, it's your choice, they are both similarly effective you lose faster with RNY. The results are similar over an average 3 year period.

when i went to a smaller suburban hospital where the majority of procedures was RNY(only 22 lapband) they seemed to push RNY. If you arent comfortabe with RNY you should at least get second opinion. These are major surgeries and should be researched. I would not just jump into something because of what might be one dr.s preference. Iprobaby could have shortened this by saying, Do research, second opinion, what makes you more comfortabe. Loserbob

Bob,

I am from Jeannette! I agree though that you need to make your own decision. From my experience, you are encouraged to do just that. I never felt pressured one way or the other. I just gathered information from folks I respected and concluded the lapRNY was a better choice for me.

I had Gastric Bypass surgery on Dec 3rd. The first week went by and I was ok. It was week two that has played hell on my body. I am in so much pain and regretting the surgery. My BMU was a 58 when I started..I have lost 31 pounds 19 days out. Not so bad. I was doing the band until the last minute and decided on the bypass. Im not sure yet if this was the right move for me vs the band as the pain like I said is so severe. The band has less complications and works well for many. I have a friend who lost 139 pounds in 9 months on the band and another who had the bypass and lost 90 pounds in 3 months. Whatever decision you make, do it for yourself and be informed.

I'm flipping in my own mind between the two. My BMI is high enough (46-47) and my age is what worries me. I'm 54 now. The more I study on it I'm leaning toward RNY. I want it gone and I want it gone NOW! I start meeting with the doctors on Jan. 14th. I guess I'll leave a lot up to them as to which would be better for me.

Cinderella,

Has the pain gotten any better?? If not, by now, I'd be headed back to the doctor and don't leave until you find out why.

Shira