Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how to protect incisions from my child?

I have a 3 year old who is a great kid, but LOVES to climb on me and bounce on my belly. This is normally not a problem, he's fairly gentle about it, all things considered. Well, after surgery, climbing bouncing or bumping my belly is not going to be good! As many people are on here, and have come up with some ingenious solutions to all manner of problems, I have every confidence someone has come up with a good solution to this issue.

Any ideas would be great!

Edited by 2b-banded
typos

I have a 2 year old and I told her that mama was having surgery and that her tummy was going to hurt and we had to be really careful. There have only been a few incidences and they haven't been too bad. She did get me in the port the other day and that hurt. She felt bad and wanted to kiss it to make it feel better!

So, that's my advice. He might not totally "get it" but he can understand hurts and you just have to tell him... again and again and again and again... LOL!

How's he going to do without you picking him up for awhile? DD did pretty good for the most part. I had a 6 week, 10lb lifting restriction.

Best wishes!

I also have a ROWDY 36 lb. 2-year old. I showed him my incisions and said Momma -owwie! So every time he wanted to jump on my lap I just repeated that and it seemed to distract him and slow him down a bit... Also, I was "coaching" him on getting into our SUV about 2 weeks before my surgery, I just have to lean over to buckle him which is not so bad. Try to stock up on groceries because lifting him into the grocery cart was an unanticipated issue. I quickly scouted out the little car that he could just climb into. Good luck...

How's he going to do without you picking him up for awhile? DD did pretty good for the most part. I had a 6 week, 10lb lifting restriction.

Best wishes!

For the most part my son likes to do for himself, except first thing in the morning on the way to daycare, but I figure my husband ought to be good for something, so he can do it for a few weeks. My son loves the car at the grocery, and I frequently get groceries after work and before picking my son up from day care, so I only have to worry about getting the food in the house.

I think I might try bandaids about where the incisions are going to be, with a bigger one at the port site, so I can "show him Mama's owies" before it actually hurts if he forgets! Of course that only occured to me after racking my brain for a solution for about 2 weeks, and finally caving and begging for advice! Always works that way, dosn't it? :)

I have a physical 3 yr. old too. lol

I told her I had tummy surgery and have boo boos, so no jumping on mommy. I can hug or lean into it, but no jumping.

She got it. I was healed pretty good at 3 weeks and I told her I could have a good hug. She says, "Mommy, can I jump on you now!" lmao

I alway turn to the left, so she's really coming into my right side more.

Ornery kiddos.

I have a large rather energetic 2 and a half year old, and a disabled one too. The disabled I had no choice but to carry. It slowed down healing time, and didn't feel so good for me. But it worked out. The other the jumping, I showed him often my boo boos and he would kiss my tummy and hug me. Then go off to play.

teri

I don't have kids that young anymore, but I do have a wonderful energetic dog that likes to pounce on me whenever I am sitting or laying down. What I did is whenever I was in those positions I put a big fluffy down pillow over my stomach and that way if I got jumped on by accident it wouldn't hurt. Worked like a charm. Good Luck!

Ditto the above poster. I have THREE dogs who love to climb all over me!

They don't know what ouchie/boo boo..etc. mean. lol... I was proactive and preventative and honestly...still am a little. :thumbup: I protect that side of my stomach like crazy...post op I always kept a pillow over me to protect, even when I slept (they sleep around me, not hubby). I even spent the first few nights post op in the guest bedroom, alone. Now, if I see them coming..I just turn to protect the port area.

My doc told me he had a patient who cracked her port when her 40 lb. child jumped on her. I don't want another surgery...so safety first! :ohmy:

I have a large (40 inches/36 lbs.) 22 month old son & 4 month old daughter... I too explained the boo boo thing and while he seemed sympathetic, he is 22 months and was bound to forget. I made every effort to be protective of my incisions but I would tape sanitary pads/liners on my incisions when I played with them. It did help especially with the rubbing when playing w/them or reading him a story. HTH. Congrats on your upcoming surgery!

well, my surgery got postponed, because I had an injury at work, shattered my knee, and have had to have 2 knee surgeries. My ortho surgeon won't clear me for the lap band for about another 5 weeks, so...

Good news is my 3 year old has done really well with not hurting my incisions from this surgery, so hopefully he'll be ok with the ones from the lap band

My son is going to be 3 next week. I simply showed him my "boo-boo's" and he understands that he has to take it easy with me. When he gets rough I simply remind him of my boo-boo's and he calms right down. He actully likes to see them, and count them, LOL.

I would suggest taping the child to a chair so that they cannot move at all (just kidding). I don't have any other suggestions. My rowdy 3 year old almost killed me during my recovery with his jumping and crashing into me.

well, my surgery got postponed, because I had an injury at work, shattered my knee, and have had to have 2 knee surgeries. My ortho surgeon won't clear me for the lap band for about another 5 weeks, so...

Good news is my 3 year old has done really well with not hurting my incisions from this surgery, so hopefully he'll be ok with the ones from the lap band

Oh Good Lord 2b!!! I'm so sorry your knee got busted up! At least you know how you toddler will react tho! Got keep the positive! LOL!

Please take care. Heal well and soon and hopefully you can have your surgery quickly!

Best wishes!