Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Warm Drink Ideas?

I'm just beginning my process but have made some changes already (no soda, no Water at mealtimes, etc). I really like having something hot to drink. I have given up my Tastefully Simple Chai (sigh) and hot chocolate, etc. I love skinny Decaf lattes (will those be okay occasionally?). I'm an okay coffee drinker - about one cup of decaf a day, not a hot tea drinker. For those of you who like a hot drink especially with the winter weather coming up, what are you drinking? Would appreciate any ideas.

Edited by bambam

Just curious....why do you have to give up the chai and hot chocolate???

I'm not much of a hot tea drinker either, but I love chai tea. I add a little splenda and just a little milk to it. I also buy the Alpine sugar free apple cider mix, it's pretty good. I also drink the diet hot chocolate mix. I drink coffee in the mornings and the others at night.

Georgiagirl - thanks for your response. The chai I drink has caffeine (only 9 grams) but quite a bit of sugar - it's really more of a spiced milk-based drink than true chai tea. My hot chocolates are definitely not sugar free! - will look to see if I can find some that area bit healthier next time I go to the store. Thanks for your ideas!

Chamomille tea is pretty good. There's always broth too but I imagine you'll be drinking plenty of that in the beginning and probably never want to even look at it again.

i always have a cup of coffee or 2 in the morning - but i do enjoy tea as well.

i bought at costco last month a 4 box package of bigelow teas, all caffeine-free. i'm hooked on the power fruit / antioxidant assortment, this morning alone i've had 4 cups of bulueberry harvest & pomegranate pizzazz. i add a tbsp of honey...& yum!!

no calories till i add the honey:tongue:

Spendi & luluc - Guess I need to get more adventurous with my teas!! The flavored ones do sound good! Thanks so much for posting. :drool:

I love teas... Chai is my favorite. I make a Tazo Chai Tea bag, let it steep for 5 mins, and then add 1 pkg of sugar in the raw and 1/2 milk. The best ever... and I get lots of Calcium in that way too...

I absolutely love the Starbucks Chai Tea, but after seeing the calories and sugar content online tonight, I think I'll have to quit that! :w00t:

There is a brand of sugar-free Chai mix that you can make yourself, it's actually really good. Mix it with half nonfat milk and half Water. :drool:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E52WSS?ie=UTF8&redirect=true]Amazon.com: General Foods International coffee, sugar free Chai Latte Drink Mix, 4.4-Ounce Tin (Pack of 6): Grocery[/ame]

I linked you to the product on Amazon, but you can find it in any grocery store on the coffee aisle.

My absolute favorite warm drink in the morning is mint herbal tea. I add a bit of splenda to it and it calms my stomach and loosens everything up a bit so I can eat later. I use chicken or beef broth when I'm craving a salty snack in the evening.

Hi, I found this yesterday and haven't had time to try it yet, but am hoping to give it a try soon.

Chai Latte Mix

4 cups nonfat dry milk powder

1/3 cup brown sugar substitute

2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/8 teaspoon white pepper (optional)

2 cups Splenda

2 cups instant tea, unsweetened

1 (3.4-ounce) package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix

To make mix, combine 1 cup nonfat dry milk with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, allspice, cloves and white pepper, if desired; blend in a blender or food processor to get the lumps out of brown sugar.

Combine with remaining dry milk, Splenda, instant tea and dry vanilla pudding mix.

Store mix in a covered container. Makes 35 servings.

To prepare as a beverage, start with 2 rounded tablespoons of mix to an 8-ounce cup of hot water; stir.

Thank you everyone for your kind responses! I've tried the sugar free cider and some fruit teas. I also bought the individual Splenda to mix in a cup of coffee so I'm enjoying my Decaf coffee a bit more - and will definitely try the chai mix! Thanks again ladies!!

I stay FAR away from artificial sweetners, so my tea has to have a good flavor all it's own. My preference? I love peppermint tea, orange spice tea and I also like to cut a few slices of ginger root and pour hot Water over it. I love the aroma! I add just a touch of honey if it needs it and sit by the fire. HEAVEN.