Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSAIDS-- Do You Or Don't You....

...take them (Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Celebrex, etc.)? If so, how much do you take and for how long? Have you had any problems? I know we are supposed to avoid them because they can wreak havoc on the stomach, but I have some other problems and need them from time to time. I'm paranoid about taking them and have really restricted myself and tried to just deal with the pain. My doc says they're ok in short stints (e.g. 10 days or so), but must avoid taking them "like candy." So far, I have not had any problems taking them. Pre-band, I was pretty liberal with them and never had any issues.

What has your experience been? What has your doc told you?

Thanks!

Edited by CallMeJim

Hi Jim,

I recently had this same problem. My bariatric doctors have told us repeatedly never take nsaids. Then I go to my GP for what is probably arthritis or tennis elbow and she wanted to give me an anti-flamatory. I explained what the bariatric docs had said and before I left her office she had me convinced that it was ok for a week or 10 days.

I got the script filled but it just wasn't setting well with me so I called my bariatric doc and explained what the GP said and they said absolutely do not take it. They have seen patients have to have blood transfustions after 2 doses, because of bleeding ulcers, I think.

Anyway, I don't but I have read on lbt some people that do take ibuprofen and other nsaids. Bottom-line is what your doc says and in my case I don't think my GP is really up on the bariatric stuff. At the same time I wouldn't go to my bariatric doc for flu related or cold stuff. Just my opinion.

They are fine. Any potential damage happens after long term use....according to my doc.

And many people 'could' use them long term and have no effects...just as a precaution bandsters shouldn't use them long term because they don't know the outcome.

I have horrible problems with migranes and have had knee surgery, and swelling of the joints. I have to take naproxen twice daily to function. I was told to take prilosac with it and it should take care of any problems that it would cause. I hope this is right, but I guess I don't have a choice. Naproxen is the only way I can exercise daily, I have tried to stop and then I had a hard time even bending my knee because of the swelling. I guess only time will tell.

My doc said okay as long as I don't over do it. I take a Celebrex capsule every day just to function. So far no problems. I've been taking it for about 8 years, of course that was preband. I guess it's a matter of individual tolerance. Simone (changed my name, previously Simon:rolleyes2:)

My lapband doc told me to use the liquid form to avoid the pill sitting in the stomach too long and doing damage. Lapband slows digestion.

My lapband doc told me to use the liquid form to avoid the pill sitting in the stomach too long and doing damage. Lapband slows digestion.

My doctor(my lap band dr) said basically the same thing. He said that if I have to take it, use the liquid and to flush it through the stoma by drinking something after it.

That said, follow whatever your doctor said. Every doctor seems to have a different opinion about it.

I do take them, but only occasionally. I usually stick to Tylenol. But when it's a body ache (cramps or sore muscles), Tylenol doesn't do much for me. Then I might take like 2-3 Advil...but that's pretty much it. I don't generally take anymore after that. Usually once my pain is gone, it's gone.

My Drs. (both surgeon and gp) said nothing but liquid tylenol/tylenol in pill form or narcotics. I've not taken anything but ultram/tylenol/vicodin since surgery.

I rechecked with my doc and he said never to take capsules (e.g. Celebrex) unless I empty them into food such as applesauce and chase them with enough Water to rinse the pouch well. He said short regimens (10-14 days) should be ok but they want to avoid long-term use if at all possible. He said NSAIDS can lead to erosion. He also said I could buy the gel-caps, freeze them, then cut them in half and take them (or liquid, or opened capsules, or split/crushed pills). The main concern appears to be not letting it sit in the pouch for any significant length of time. Finally, he said I could take some Maalox or a pepcid chewable to help protect my stomach when taking these meds.

I'm glad that you were able to get an answer to your question. Thanks for posting what your doctor said. Good luck!

They used to say NSAIDS could be linked to erosion but I think that theory has been debunked. My doctor says the concern is that the pill could sit in your upper pouch and cause an ulcer. There's no stomach acid up there to help break it down.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I had a back injury recently and my doctor told me to REALLY limit the use of the RX Motrin I was given. Always take it on an empty stomach, so food doesn't push it to the top or cause it to sit in the pouch for too long and to take it with Maalox or milk. Then drink a full glass of Water to flush it threw. Never right before bed because when you lay down, gravity can't do its thing.<o:p></o:p>

Every doctor has their own way of doing things but I was told that usage for as little as 7 days could cause a problem, so I've chosen to tough it out and not take them.<o:p></o:p>

Tylenol ONLY for me. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my band but I realize some people have needs much more severe than mine, for needing NSAIDS.<o:p></o:p>

My doctor also said they are OK in very short stints, like no more than two doses in a weeks time. She also said I should take liquid versions so they go through my system quickly.

The few times I have taken it, I have taken liquid children's motrin (or an advil liqui-gel in a pinch) with a big glass of milk on an empty stomach. This helps with occasional very bad headaches. I don't do this more than once a month at most.

Tylenol does nothing for me . . . Is anyone else like this? I am not sure why it is this way, but I don't even bother taking it anymore.

My doctor never said anything about this.