Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restaurant Meals?

I am a long way away from this now, but am dreaming.....I'm curious about what a bandster orders from restaurants - all kinds of restaurants. Do you always order off the children's menu? (I noticed lots of high fat foods there....but?) Order a regular entree, but bring much of it home? I'm curious about everything from going out for breakfast to dinner....What do you do about the bread? Thanks for helping me out with your ideas! Amy

First you might have a hard time eating bread..not a good thing...baked fish would be a good idea....eggs for breakfast.....or chicken breast-baked......and good ole steamed veggies....Try not to eat out to often...most healthy meals are the ones you make....which you can control what you use to cook with...like limit of salt and butter...these are the things that generally got us heavy ..or me anyway

We did a lot of eatting out on vacation and I stuck to ordering Proteins. We went to one place and I got a shrimp combo platter. The waiter asked me, french fries, mashed potatoe or baked potatoe. I said none thank you. He looked at me like I just grew another head! I simply said, I dont eat carbs. He then offered me another selection of veggies. So I had green Beans and cole slaw. Not that I ate them...but atleast there were other options. Then when we stopped on the road like at McDonalds, I got a hamburger and just didn't eat the bun, with a side salad. Or I would get chicken selects with the fruit and yogurt salad...Not the best for ya, but better than the Big Mac that I wanted :( Another place that we ate was a BBQ Rib joint. Ugh, goooood food there.. Johnnys I think the name was and the bbq ribs almost killed me. I almost PB'ed them, but I think that was my lack of chewing. They came with cole slaw, french fries and garlic bread. I didn't eat anything but the the ribs. I also got coconut shrimp at another place...and ugh, was that oooo soooo good. I didn't have any problems eatting that....They were an appetizer, and I ordered a side salad with that, and didn't eat the salad. I did order off the kids menu a couple of times, and then the appetizers a couple of times too. It is weird eatting out. I feel like a freek. I also dont like ordering more than I know I will eat..and I don't like doggie bags cause I know I wont go back and re heat it. Sooo I do the best I can...hope this helps

TTYL

It depends for me- (1) are my kids with me!!!! Then I usually order Soup or other mushie. I have four under age 5 and can't risk screwing up with them and having to try to drag them to the bathroom to pb. (At MCDonald's or the like I get a yogurt parfeit or something or chili - love lion's choice- have Soup there; thanl the lord for taco bell). It is not the best thing- but it works for us

(2) with just dear husband or friends only- I get what I want!!!!! and eat what I can and take the rest home. I am still working on a taco salad from applebees two days ago.. I sometimes eat off dh plate- but it drives him nuts. I have eaten lamb and lobster stuffed manicotti and other neat things.

I hate the price a buffet restaurants, but they do work - so I can pick and choose what will work best and I feel I am always running back for something for the kids so that I get some exercise.

Yup, I agree--get whatever you want! You'll learn what you can and can't eat, and how much tummy-room you have. What I usually do is order an appetizer and have it brought at the same time as everyone else's meal. No one every raises an eyebrow. It's a very rare restaurant where I can't find something to eat, though it's not always the healthiest choice. Soup is my friend.

The only problem is trying not to feel ripped off. So many places offer such HUGE portions that even the appetizers are too much. And sure, I can and do take things home, but lots of things don't reheat very well. So I've just gotten used to the fact of restaurant meals costing proportionally more than they used to, even if I order an appetizer. I mean, an $8 appetizer is a full meal for me, and that's fine, but I don't get the bang-for-the-buck feeling my DH gets for his $12 burger/fries/vegetable/dessert combo.

I am another who orders what I really want, I usually only end up eating just a small portion of it and the rest I take home DH loves leftovers. I have found most restaurants will substitute just about anything instead of the fries/carbs. Breakfast in restaurants I have stuck to omlets, I have snuck in a bite or two of DH's french toast here and there. I haven't been to a buffett since banding, just not worth the price for the little amount that I will eat and of course no "take home" boxes. In my late mushy/soft foods phase, I went to applebee's with some friends and ordered a scoop of mash potatos and applesauce my bill came to a whopping $1.98 *lol* The waitress was a little interested why my choices I just told her I recently had "abdominal sugery and was restricted to soft foods" She left it at that and I completly enjoyed hanging out with my friends and feeling satisfied with my "meal"

I've never ordered of the kids meal, as you said lots of high fat options, I'd rather have leftovers.

bread, hmm there are days I can tolerate it and days I can't. I'm not a big bread eater anyhow. although the breadsticks at the olive garden are to die for*lol* As long as I chew chew chew, I haven't had too many issues with bread.

Hope that helps

I usually order Soup and then eat a few bites off my husband plate. He loves it because he is trying to eat less. Our eating out bills are alot less now. If I do order more than what I can eat I just ask for a doggie bag and take it home for another meal. I have been to buffet style places but it does make you feel ripped off. You do have alot more choices and if you happen to be able to eat a little more you can try different things. Just don't look at the price.

Guest EDNAK.

I'm with the bandster who said taco bell is his friend. It's an o.k. standby when nothing else will go down or I'm too scared to try the bean and cheese burrito will work. Olive garden let me order off the childrens menu and they have a grilled chicken breast w/broccoli and a side of spaghetti. I miss the bread. But if you chew enough you can get a bite or two down. Good luck

The upside is that my wife loves to eat my leftovers (and there are plenty of them). Eating out has been challenging only when I am trying to hide the fact that I can't eat much. For me, it has become a bit of a game. I avoid foods that make me sick, and look for a smaller portion plate. This strategy has brought me much success at Mexican restaurants. Think about this: a huge plate of Beans, rice, and a single entree item. You nibble on the entree, stirr the Beans, and relocate the rice - viola! I did some sliming/pb once in a restraunt bathroom. Since then, I consider my meal selection carefully and eat extra slow.

-Chunk

I agree with most...

Protein based meals are the best...for me. Ceaser salads with chicken. Pork, fish, sushi, steak (well chewed) steamed veggies (even grilled veggies)...

NO BREAD...it fills you up, and gives you no benefit. I try to eat selectively, and taste every bit.

Question though....What do you mean by "PB" ?????

Thanks.

Last night I went on a great date with DH. We went to a great Seattle restaurant, and I had cantilope martinis. We split an order of 2 lambchops and a 1/2 order of asian bbq shrimp, so he had 3 shrimp and I had 4.... Do you have any idea how small a lamb chop is? They are tiny little things! We even had desert, which alost never happens. I had the chocolate torte and he had the blackberry ice cream. (blackberries are sooo under rated! Devine little droop fruit! ) We didn't even finish our deserts.

We were completely satisfied. The the SAM (Seattle Art Musium) they had a cocktail buffett, but neither one of us even looked at that wonderful food or the complementry wine...

I LOVE MY BAND.

I havent had a problem eating out yet, I can always find something with Protein. Usually a chicken dish, granted it isnt always what I want like a big plate of Pasta but I definetly leave feeling satisfied. My husband seems to enjoy my leftovers for lunch the next day at work. now if he can't choose between 2 Entrees he will occasionally ask me if I would be ok with one he wants so he doesnt have to choose between his 2 choices and then he gets it once I am done with it for work the next day (its a good thing he is 150 lbs and never seems to gain no matter what he eats).

My biggest issue when I started eating out after being banded was I would never order a drink and that waiter/waitress would always question it, coming back more than once saying would you like something to drink so now I just ask for Water and end up using it to Water down the juice I worder for my kids in their sippy cups.

That is what I love about this place, I will read something and realize I am not alone. Burnsun said my story. I think it is diferent for everyone. I think we are all at diferent places with our fills. Some of what people wrote about what they eat will surely kill me. Or I would never loose a pound.

Before my band, I had no idea what a left-over was. Now, I eat a single meal 3 times.

I still miss burittos. I dream of them. bread is a memory.

On a similar note.......I went off the wagon 3 days ago and started drinking Diet Pepsi again. I feel pretty bad and will try to refrain.