Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New way of thinking

I've now been banded a year (Nov 7th) and I've finally lost 50 pounds. It's been very slow going, but I'm pleased that it is still coming off and its the longest I've ever stuck to a diet that wasn't achieving results quickly.

However, I was discussing a trip that my DH and I are going to take next year (about October) to Scotland for a family visit and likely a wedding. And I don't know why, but I started to think of what I'd wear, and it occurred to me that I was thinking about it in a positive way! And what a difference that is.

I don't know about any of you, but I have avoided "events" because I know that no matter how I dress up, I'll be the fattest person and nothing will look quite right on me. But here I was actually thinking about this event without panic!

That has to be a milestone. I will be able to meet clients and concentrate on the work and not how I'll look, go to parties and look forward rather than be afraid that I'll look terrible or just be uncomfortable. This is what I dreamed of when I had this operation, and it is slowly becoming true!

I've still got a long way to go, but people are starting to really notice the weight I've lost now and making kind comments (some people aren't saying anything, but then they didn't comment when I was getting fatter, so I'll let them off) and it surprises me, as I'm not really feeling any different yet.

But I wanted to share my milestone in thinking more like a normal weight person already, by thinking about a future event without dread! And let me tell you, I wouldn't be contemplating this trip at all unless I felt that in a year I will be hopefully close to one hundred pounds lighter. And I feel that positive!

Mary

That is fabulous !

Funny, I had a very similar experience this week. I was asked to be interviewed for a local cable show (work related). I immediately said yes, and my first thought was "what am I gonna say" not "oh my god I am gonna look super fat on camera"

50 pounds is awesome !

Thanks for sharing your successes so far

congratulations on your NSV and what a wonderful attitude. As I travel a lot, I know that you will also be more comfortable in the plane seat. Well done and let us know what you decide on for an outfit for the event.

Isn't it great to have a focus rather than just worry about our weight? very liberating.

I wouldn't even be considering this trip next year if it weren't for the fact that I know that I'll be that much thinner by then. I've had some very embarrassing and uncomfortable plane rides, so I suggested the trip even before we knew there would be a wedding. I'll do better than tell you about my outfit, I'll actually do a photo!

Mary

good for you, love to see it. Have you heard the news about obesity being classified as a handicap by the Supreme Cour of Canada. Will be interested to see how the airlines wiggle out of this one.

Yes, I did read about that! However, I don't know about you but I would be really embarrassed to try to get two seats. Plus, in the article I read, it seems that there are all sorts of hurdles you still have to get over before you'd get that seat. You'd have to book a year ahead to get past them!

Mary

Hi Marivan. I wasn't thinking of you because you indicated you are comfortable with the seats. I mentioned this for others who are not aware of the judgment and yes, I believe the airlines will do everything possible to avoid following what is set out but, at least we have a bit of recognition in Canada that obesity is not "just our fault" but many factors are involved. Besides, my position is no matter who is at fault, the immediate needs are what is important. If one has to get home for an emergency for instance, they have to get there somehow and can't be expected to lose 100+ lbs overnight. The transportation companies have to make allowances for that now which is great.

Sorry, it was part of this thread so I just assumed. I still wouldn't be happy if I had to fly tomorrow, but I know my proposed flight is a year away, so I have some time to fit better!

Mary

Sorry, it was part of this thread so I just assumed. I still wouldn't be happy if I had to fly tomorrow, but I know my proposed flight is a year away, so I have some time to fit better!

Mary

you certainly will be fit because you have such a great goal.

As for my comments, don't apologize, I just go off on a tangent when I think of how many times I have been discrimated against. My most remembred was a dolt of a man looking up at me as I boarded and said "everybody off, plane overload". Although I am on my way to a smaller me, I haven't lost my passion of thinking of others that are struggling because they don't have the money for a band, or whatever reason.

Anyway, I know you will reach your goal.

Hi Doddie,

People can be so unkind. If I could wish for anything, it would be that people could understand what it is like for others in any situation. I know so many people that are thin and healthy "looking" who eat junk food and huge portions but think a fat person has no control. (I've never been one to eat at McDonalds etc, or sit eating bonbons)

But we'll keep our compassion when we look more acceptable.

I've lived in fear of comments that people make too. Likely why I am always happy to be invisible.

We'll both get there! (you are doing great, by the way!)

Mary

Edited by marivan
add a comment

Thanks, my doctor picked the 180 mark. I really feel he felt I would never reach it, but I got news for him. You are really doing well. As you said, come hell or high Water we will make our goals. We will always fight the weight, but with the band, it is a hard stopper to bring us back on line. Something we never had before.

Someday the medical profession will realize that obesity is not always caused by overeating. Most of us do twice the exercise of a regular weigh person yet the weight barely moves. Well at least the Canadian Supreme Court has recognized weight for what it is a handicap.

Wishing you well on your journe.

I just wanted to comment on the airline seat thing. I flew with west jet last summer. On the way to my destination I was given 2 seats but for 3 hours of my return home leg I was given only one. I had someone sitting in the next seat. I felt sorry for him. I was squished partially into his seat and for me it was extremely uncomfortable. So I guess kudos for westjet for allowing me a second seat free as long as they were able. Hopefully now though all airlines in Canada will have to do this. :)

BTW, Did you now that airline seats are 17 inches wide. That's not much space. Fat or average, that's a tight fit.

Edited by inuit

I agree with you, WestJet is very accommodating. If asked, they will leave the next seat empty and only filling it as a last resort. I asked numerous time and only once did I have someone next to me because the plane was full. It stands to reason they would consider the comfort of the passenger that has to sit next to us as well as our comfort, just as we are acutely aware of the difficulties. The court case would not have been necessary, if Air Canada and others had taken the same apporach.

I just wanted to comment on the airline seat thing. I flew with west jet last summer. On the way to my destination I was given 2 seats but for 3 hours of my return home leg I was given only one. I had someone sitting in the next seat. I felt sorry for him. I was squished partially into his seat and for me it was extremely uncomfortable. So I guess kudos for westjet for allowing me a second seat free as long as they were able. Hopefully now though all airlines in Canada will have to do this. :)

BTW, Did you now that airline seats are 17 inches wide. That's not much space. Fat or average, that's a tight fit.