Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have to take your clothes off at the first surgical consult?

I have mine on monday and I require 24 hours notice (and valium) if I have to take my clothes off.

When you first met your surgeon did you have to?

I didn't have to either. I was weighed (just bare feet!) had my temp. & Blood pressure taken by the nurse & later had a one on one with my surgeon (both of us fully clothed!). Had a question & answer session & advised me of my pre-surgery weight loss requirements (5 pounds), made my surgery appt. (Dec 8th), had an EKG, blood work & that's it. Good luck to you. It should go pretty easy.

I didn't have to take my clothes off, but I did get weighed, and had my temperature and blood pressure taken, as someone else posted. I met with the nutritionist (or dietician) and the patient liaison, the surgeon and his assistant.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

I didn't have to for my surgeon, but he did lift up my shirt to see my stomach, so that he could see if I had any scars and so that he could point out to me where to expect my new scars.

I did have to change into a (backless!) gown for the nurse when I had my EKG and chest scan. She opened up the gown to put the sensors on me but tried to make me as covered as possible, but she walked me down a busy hallway to the x-ray, and I was scrambling to hold the back of the gown together!

Remember, every doc is different so I don't know how it will work for you. I guess just prepare like you would need to in order to be comfortable. But.. as my roommate (who is a nurse) always says: they REAAAAALLLY don't care what we look like. They see far worse... and I'm guessing since you are 26 that you are not the bottom of the pile.

Good luck with everything!

I went thru 2 surgeries, preop tests (blood, upper GI, chest x-ray, ecg, abdominal ultrasound, and urinalysis ... to see if I was pregnant LOL....) and the ONLY time my clothes were off I was knocked out and in surgery.

I did need to change into a gown at the hospital (done alone) and I did take off my bra for the upper GI and the x-ray (again, I was alone, and put my shirt back on w/out bra)

Doc does look at my stomach now for fills. That's it.

So you're good to go. There is really no reason for a surgeon to see you naked. Look at your stomach and navel, yes. S/he can do that by lifting your shirt up to your bra. But the rest of you? Nah.

I did have to change into a (backless!) gown for the nurse when I had my EKG and chest scan. She opened up the gown to put the sensors on me but tried to make me as covered as possible, but she walked me down a busy hallway to the x-ray, and I was scrambling to hold the back of the gown together!

And if someone tries to do something like this to you, just tell them "I am not going out there until I am decent" or whatever. Healthcare professionals HAVE seen it all. BUT we are also trained to be sensitive to our patients who are people, not dolls to be dragged naked and positioned as we see fit! LOL So if they do anything that bothers you, tell them.

I just had to lift my shirt over my belly and the surgeon showed me where the incisions would be and what he would do for a Tummy Tuck (someday). He also listened to my heart, stomach and back with the stethescope, but I didn't have to remove my shirt.

I did not have to take my clothes off, but I did have to take my shoes and socks off.

The only naked parts of me during my consult were my feet. My surgeon never even saw my belly before surgery. He had his nurse practitioner (female) look at my previous laparoscopic surgery scars to be sure of where they were. I just lifted my shirt to my bra for her. You should be ok.

I didn't even have to take my shoes off. My doc just had me lift my shirt enough for him to see my tummy. He kind of pressed on it a bit and that was it. Sweet and simple.

I didn't have to take my cloths off. I laid on the table and he lifted my top to look at my tummy.... Nothing at all....even for the fills all I do is stand there and lift my top....

Ok, here...I will make you nervous (get the valium ready). I had to have a complete exam. Vaginal, rectal, etc. They warned me beforehand. Just call the surgeon's office and ask.