Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so I was banded yesterdy, the 13th. I just got home about an hour ago and I am very uncomfortable. From reading other posts, I am assuming this is something normal? I feel like I need to burp and mostly having no luck at all. I ate some baked potato Soup from Panara bread and after I ate, I thought I was going to vomit it back up. I went to the bathroom and ended up burping the worst burp that I have ever done. I just want to know and make sure that this is a normal experience and that I should not be concerned. Someone please help!!:Dancing_sorry:

Please, check with your doctor. The first two or three days is Water and clear broth only. My doctor was very strict on that because your still healing.

Burping is normal.

My doc told me that I could have anything that I could drink thru a straw (but not actually use one) that I could have. I mushed up the potatoes in the Soup to were they were actually a part of the soup. That is exactly what he told me this morning.

I agree with Spendi, you need to be on clear liquids for at least a couple of days to 2 weeks. That Soup was a giant step for the band. The doctor did not give you any post op instructions?

I was on full liquids immediately after leaving the hospital. (I stayed overnight.) No problem. Each of us must follow our own surgeon's instructions. If we trust them to cut us open, we need to trust their directions.

But keep it simple and slow and in small quantities. Start easy. And SLOW. See what you tolerate this early. If full liquids do bother you, it won't hurt to spend a few days on clears. The important thing is that you get liquids in to keep hydrated. Sip. sip, sip.

Good luck!

Everyone's doctors are different!!!!!!! My Dr. told me the same thing post-op, anything I could get through a straw (without using one), was okay to eat. You do not need to be on a clear-liquid diet if your Dr. didn't say too. My goodness people, she is following her doctors advice!

Although I will say, the first few days, the only thing I could get down was juice and watered down Protein shakes. Otherwise, I was miserable. About day 4, I was pureeing food to a liquid consistency and eating that.

Hang in there - every day will get better.

I also agree with the above posters. My surgeon had me on a "nothing thicker than water" diet for 3 weeks post op. I had a tough time the first 4/5 days and could barely get in the chicken/beef broth, Protein slammers and Water. My stomach really needed the first two weeks for healing (the 3rd week of liquids not thicker than water was tough I admit cause all I wanted was yogurt or eggs or just something to "chew" on). Now I can have whatever I want but have to remember to chew, chew, chew! It is amazing how each surgeon's instructions are different! Good Luck!

I agree to do what your doctor says! I'm a big fan of that. HOWEVER, if doing what he says makes you vomit, then try some clear liquids for a little while...a few hours, and see how you feel? Perhaps the potatoes weren't as mashed as you thought, or perhaps some spice in there irritated your stomach that soon post op.

I believe doing a clear liquid (like the broth only from chicken noodle Soup, for example) for a couple of days would give your stomach a chance to settle and reduce the swelling that surgery causes but I'm not a doc! If I were you I'd probably just cut back to clear liquids for 24 hours because it would seem logical to me, not because your doc is wrong.

I think that people my interpret the meaning of liquids differently. My surgeon was sure to specify clear liquids so that I was aware that creamed Soups were not included. I was told that cream soups would be under the "mushies" stage. Potatos, even when mashed up are definately not liquids. That would be considered "mushies". Do you have a "mushies" stage, or does it skip that? kritzz; I don't think anyone is trying to be judgemental, everyone is just answering the question that was asked based on their own experiences. Unfortunately, when someone poses a question, not everyone is going to have the same experience or opinion. We all just try to give help and support for those who ask.

There is the "clear liquid" diet and the "full liquid" diet. The full liquid diet can be defined as anything you could sip through a straw. But it is wise to start this cautiously and see what you can tolerate on any given day. I was nauseous for several days, so i wasn't pushing my full liquids by any means.

The other important thing to remember is that we need to take tiny sips, spaced apart, and constantly be monitoring our pouch and our tummy to see if it's going down okay and not stretching us or doing anything uncomfortable.

If necessary, thin your desired food before consuming it, and just an ounce or two at a time, max.

I was really glad I didn't have to do Clear Liquids postop. (I think some docs just do it to kickstart the weight loss.)

Edited by orea15
typo

Ok, I first want to say I AM FOLLOWING MY DOCTORS DIRECTIONS!!!!! I am not stupid enough to have this procedure done and then go and mess it up by not foloowing the directions. I just want to say that the gas has gotten better and I am able to get things down a bit better. Please dont jump all over me for asking a question. The creamed Soups are not on my mushie stage. They are considered the liquid phase. So, please back off! Thanks for the ones who stuck up for me.

Hi Sassy

I just wanted to say I know how you feel. My first 4 days were the worst when it came to having pain from air and not being able to burp. I tried walking etc but nothing really helped that much. I was told to have clear fluids for the first 24 hours but wasn't really into having anything other then Water or juice because I was worried about making it hurt more. I think the only thing that really helps is time and waiting for the swelling to go down.

I hope your starting to feel a bit better now and that the air is passing a bit easier. If your Soup was a bit thick maybe blending it up or adding a bit more Fluid will help it to pass.

All the best:smile: