Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one experiencing hair loss?

I had my surgery July 7, 08, and have been doing well losing almost 50 lbs, 2 fills since and another due in a week. BUT, I am losing my hair as well....is it not enough Protein, or what?

Thanks for any suggestions. MarilynHS

My surgeon says it happens to all his patients, it's apparently a reaction to the trauma of surgery, that it hits at 3-6 months, and then resolves, and that none of his patients ever needed a wig. Mine's been thinning but I know it will pass. He also told us not to bother with supplements, excess Protein, Biotin etc...just take our Vitamins, get "enough" protein and Water, and wait it out. Some swear by protein bullets, biotin etc but I am trusting my surgeon.

I was worried about this too. My friend with bypass lost a lot of hair. I was hoping this would not be the same since I have thin hair to start with. It is OK if my gray ones fall out, lol.

I experienced my hair thinning between the 3rd and 7th month after my surgery my surgeon recommended Biotin and I am glad to say that my hair is restored and full of volume. I was losing my mind with it being so thin and I regularly took my Vitamins and watched my Protein I think its one of those things that happen to some and not to others.

I was banded 26June, and I started losing my hair at around 4 months. A LOT of hair. It was so bad I needed to brush my hair before eating, or I would get a mouthfull of hair :D. Yuck!!!! I was getting plenty of Protein. I was not taking my Vitamins (childrens chewables) on a regular basis. I ordered Bariatric vitamins, and started taking Biotin. My loss has lessened somewhat.

I am 8.5 months out and have not lost any hair. I already had rather thin hair, but luckily, did not experience any loss. But who knows, now that I wrote this I might have jinxed myself and will lose a bunch of hair. lol. But, from what I have read, I'm out of the danger zone which is usually 3-6 months after surgery.

The good thing is, everybody I know who lost some hair got it back within 3 months, even without the Biotin and gimmicky stuff to stick in there. It just naturally comes back.

Edited by coolcrystal

I've had a couple of other surgeries, have had children (natural childbirth), and I lost hair a few months out from all of these events. I always shed hair, but my hair is naturally pretty thick. I'm noticing more Hair loss in the shower, but I attribute it to my body's normal reaction to surgery and not so much from what I am or am not eating.

Hi CoolCrystal your must be one of the lucky ones not losing hair good for you. I guess with this surgery it really does effect everyone different. How's your weight lost been?

I am shedding like crazy and am a year out now. I don't have much left to lose. I just started using Rogaine to try and keep some cover on my scalp. If it doesn't stop, I'm going to need a wig soon.

I was banded June 25 and have been shedding like crazy for the past month. I dred washing my hair cuase so such falls out and then blow drying tons more. I have very very thick hair and have always been a "shedder" but not like this. I don't take my Vitamins on a regular basis and probably don't get enough Water so between appearing to be very common I could probably be doing more for myself in the water/vitamins area.

Anyone have a change to the skin on the palm of your hands? In the morning after I shower it is almost like i have been soaking in the water. My skins gets very soft and white and almost looks like I could rub it away. Then if I look really closely it is almost like there are tiny pin pricks. I did show the PA and she didn't seem concerned especially since I told her about the lack of water and vitamins. I might go for blood work next week but wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing anything like this?