Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgical support

Hello,

My name is Micki, I am a 51 year old wife, and mother of two.

I am scheduled for lap band surgery in 2 weeks. July 27th with Dr. Montgomery in Kirkland, Washington at Evergreen Surgical Center.

In the past weeks I have become very anxious about the the whole thing.

It's not that I don't want the surgery or that I'm worried about it. It's like I am apprehensive of the after......

In fact I have been overeating, is this crazy or what???

What have you all, or anyone have experienced pre-surgically? Is there anyone who understands what I'm going thru.

It sure would help me. I have some preparation to do before the 27th and I can't seem to get on task.

Thanks

Hello Micki! Welcome to LBT!

Yup, you got what we all had. I gained about 4-5 pounds pre-surgery just being lazy and a bit stressed!

You SHOULD be apprehensive of the after. Some days, it kinda stinks having this stupid ole band. But, alas, the weight comes off, I come here and find out something pertinent to whatever bugs me, I get through it, then I love my band. There is NO WAY I could maintain the type of loose discipline I have been able to maintain these past months to accomplish what I have so far. This is the long haul, baby!

So, do you need to do the pre-op liquid diet some of us have to do? How much weight are you wanting to lose?

You can bet we know what you are going through. There are lots of old threads about what to get before surgery that you will need when you get home, ie: Gas-X, heating pad, chicken broth, other Clear liquids...you'll get lots of ideas. If you can't find an old thread, start a new one!

Anyhow, congrats on your band date! And welcome!!

Yep, Micki, you're having the famous last-meal syndrome. :) We're all intimately familiar with it, and it's very hard to deny or control. The important thing to remember is that even though it will take time, living with the band will be NORMAL for you after a while. There will be nothing you cannot eat, so you don't have to panic now and overdo it. Banding will make you have better discipline about how you eat, but what you eat will be up to you in the future as it is right now.

Don't worry, you're normal!! Good luck, and remember, you're not alone!! :)

ohh, Dr.s Mongomery and Whatkins will take really good care of you! The surgery center is beautiful, and the staff is wonderful.

That's where both DH and I had our bands installed!

Hi Micki & Everyone,

I am so glad I read your post! I am leaving TOMORROW for surgery!! (Banded on July 15th!) I have been so excited & overjoyed the past month just thinking about the surgery until 5 days ago. I am now anxious, scared & not quite myself. I can't seem to get anything done & I want to eat everything!!! I have 3 young kids (9,7 & 1 yr.) & I'm sure they are wondering what's up with Mom!! I am happy to know that I am normal! :)

Thank you all for your great e-mails on this sight. I have been lurking here for over a month now & finally decided it was time to post something. I feel very prepared for this surgery & know that I have a whole group out in bandster land that I can turn to for support!!

I'll be back Sunday & make sure to report in.

Dianechef

Gilbert, AZ

banded by Dr. Ortiz in TJ on July 15th

260/140

Thank you-Thank you-Thank you all!!!!

Your responding to my questions and concerns have really helped. I don't feel so alone. I was being really hard on myself.

I am presently 292lbs my goal is 165-185. I'm not in any hurry. I'm willing to take my time, stay focused, and be patience. ( i realize i might not feel this way later)

anyway, my biggest concern is loosing pre-surgicaly. with only 2 weeks to go my doctor wants me to loose 10lbs before surgery. it does'nt have to be strickly liquid, so if anyone has any suggestions iam open to anything as soon as possible.

Also, did anyone have to use a cpap machine??? the sleep study was a nightmare and i slept so badly i don't believe they got a good reading. anyway they recommend i have one for post-surgery. did anyone else face this? if so how long? was it intrusive to your partner or yourself?

If I am rambling, i apologize. it's just wonderful to other who know where i'm coming from without overexplaining myself.

No pun indented, but i feel a worry weight has been lifted off my shoulder!!!!!

Much, much thanks again!!!!!!

I'm right there with you...I have managed gain 5lbs after maintaining the same weight for almost a year. Its crazy...I have vowed to do weight watchers again till i get a surgey date at least. Even if just to keep from gaining MORE lol. I'm actually hoping the antibiotics I got for the h pyrori bacteria will make me naseuaous so that I don't want to eat.

Melissa

Great info thanks, I'm being banded on Aug.2

and I'm eating like I'm going to the chair! My son

is 41/2 and he even ask why I was eating all the

popcorn. Thank God we didn't have anything "good"

in the house, that would have been gone/

I keep thinking"why do I have to do this?" why can't

I just keep to a food plan?

At 51 I should know the answer to that already.

I do feel like a failer...I need to work on that.

I actually gained a whopping 12pds in the 3 months before surgery. Don't sweat it- Just try and take back a little control everyday. You can do it. Just keep it down to lets say one nite a week to pig out till your pre-op diet begins. Don't forget that the pre-op diet is very tuff so don't be so hard on your self now. You'll do very well & will recover faster than you think. I was so worried I just about talked myself out up untill the very last day. I am so happy I did it now- I don't know where I would be with my weight if I hadn't. Best of everything to you!!

I'm being banded tomorrow morning. Like Micki, I've been eating several 'last suppers'. I really can't imagine how I'll feel just being able to eat a few bites and then be full-- relieved.... mad..... depressed.... confident...? I'm just not sure, even though I've had 9 months (fighting insurance co) to think about it.

If anyone could direct me to a specific place for info right after surgery, I'd appreciate it.

Dianechef, how are you doing since your banding?

Micki, I was feeling EXACTLY the same way. Two weeks ago I was up 5 lbs. I am having my surgery on the 26th. Tomorrow is my final consultation and weigh-in. If I have gained even one pound since my last appointment I have to re-schedule my surgery. According to my scale I'll be okay (with a whopping 1 lb of wiggle room!) but I'm still mad at myself for making these last two weeks so stressful. I lost 6 lbs by walking slowly on the treadmill and cooking dinner instead of eating out. I did have apple pie last night for a last hurrah before the liquid diet began this morning! :-)