Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I was banded Oct 29 and have lost 11.5 to 12 pounds since then. I feel wonderful...but am ready to move on to mushies this Friday. My list from the dietician is very short and I am sure these are just examples and not "just" what I am supposed to eat. I think I am confused as to what is consider mushies. About how thick are mushies? I cannot imagine eating greenbeans out of the blender....but is this what ya do? I really don't think I will be eating blenderized meat...I just don't think I could. eggs aren't on my list either but I know of some mushie-stage people that have eggs on their list...so scramble them? Can I add anything to them to make an omlet...or would this be against mushie rules? I really want to start sitting at the table with my family again!

Are there any creative mushers out there that have made a mushie that tastes good?

Also, I am on mushies for 2 weeks and then what? Regular food? So at thanksgiving, will I be able to eat small portions but regular food? Noodles? A bite of a roll?

Maybe someone here even knows of a previous thread or website with mushie recipes?

Thanks!

First of all, congrats on your surgery. I think that you will find that you will get answers all over the map here. Each doctor is completely different as to what they require. I had surgery 10/20 and just today i get to start eating mushies. Mine consists of refried Beans, mashed potatoes, brunschwager (sp?) or liverworst, and then I can have a veggie that is fork tender or can be smooshed with a fork and a 1/2 cup of fruit from a can. except pineapple & grapes. Can also have Soups, black beans and such. So unfortunately, I would call the doctors office and ask them. The dietician at the office should be more than willing to help you.

BTW, how are you doing with not smoking?? You have had your surgery so I'm assuming pretty well.

Way to go on your weight loss so far.

Just about anything you can run through a blender and get a mushy consistency. I don't recommend it, but I've heard of people blending lasagna and a Whopper Jr.!

Better choices include things like egg, chicken or tuna salad pureed with low fat or fat free mayo, cottage cheese, applesauce, pureed bean Soup or low fat chili or stew. Or how about some low fat quiche with soft things added? Once I treated myself to some soft Stouffer's mac & cheese, but again, that wasn't the best thing. (I was on mushies for 3 weeks so I needed a break that day.)

My dietician also allows a few saltines or club crackers, as they pretty much turn to mush in your mouth. She is also pretty lenient about foods, as long as you chew them to applesauce consistency.

Hope this helps!

Hello,

I was banded Oct 29 and have lost 11.5 to 12 pounds since then. I feel wonderful...but am ready to move on to mushies this Friday. My list from the dietician is very short and I am sure these are just examples and not "just" what I am supposed to eat. I think I am confused as to what is consider mushies. About how thick are mushies? I cannot imagine eating greenbeans out of the blender....but is this what ya do? I really don't think I will be eating blenderized meat...I just don't think I could. eggs aren't on my list either but I know of some mushie-stage people that have eggs on their list...so scramble them? Can I add anything to them to make an omlet...or would this be against mushie rules? I really want to start sitting at the table with my family again!

Are there any creative mushers out there that have made a mushie that tastes good?

Also, I am on mushies for 2 weeks and then what? Regular food? So at thanksgiving, will I be able to eat small portions but regular food? Noodles? A bite of a roll?

Maybe someone here even knows of a previous thread or website with mushie recipes?

Thanks!

There actually might be a thread in the Food & Nutrition forum...have you checked there? Looks like the replies you have gotten are pretty much what I ate during that phase. I too couldn't handle the blenderized foods...sounded nasty to me and I made it thru that phase without using my blender once. Someone on here also told me a recipe for "noodleless lasagna".....its simply fat free ricotta cheese topped with spaghetti sauce of your choice and some low fat mozzarella cheese on top, then bake till bubbly. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I had that one night, it was the first time I felt satisfied since my surgery. best of luck to you!

I'm subscribing to this thread, b/c I'm starting mushies on Thursday afternoon (fingers crossed after my post-op with the surgeon!)

I'm already planning to make that noodle-less lasagna! YUM

Thanks for the input everyone! I am trying to find the food and nutrition forum...but with the site's new layout...I am not finding it. I am sure it is right under my nose...will keep searching.

As far as quitting smoking - I quit 2 weeks before surgery using nicotine Patches and now I am even off the patch! The stress of being hungry in the last couple of days has really made me want to smoke, but so far I have held off.

OMG - the noodless lasagna...and the blended chilli I think I could bear~! These are the kind of things I am talking about! The refried Beans w/ sour cream and salsa sound awesome too!

I am soooo hungry right now....I would probably even try that blended whooper!

I don't have a fill till Dec 19...I think I will surely die!

I got my band on Oct 16th and after two weeks of liquids, I am now on "mushies" for the next two weeks and this is what I have been eating. I have lost 14 lbs so far. This is what I have been told I can eat-these are known as soft Protein also:

tuna salad with light mayo

shrimp salad w/light mayo

Black bean soup-dont have to puree

Scrambles egg-(2)- 1 whole, 1 without yolk

Cottage cheese

ricotta cheese

Boars head ham, turkey, light cheese( I get Lacy Swiss)

Liverwurst

Hummus-As long as it has no pieces of vegetables

egg salad w/light mayo

soft fish, like flounder, sole

After this stage and I will be on week 4, I will have to look at my list, but I think vegetables can be added and stuff like poached chicken, pork, seafood, etc. Good luck

I came up with all kinds of creative mushies. I took spaghetti sauce and blended it and then added it to cottage cheese. It was really good. I also blended up all kinds of tender veggies. Cauliflower is my favorite. I would prefer mashed cauliflower than mashed potatos any day. You can mush just about anything up.....good luck.

Dont blendrize it- just chew slowly and small bites. I was told I can also have Boars head ham, turkey and light cheese- I like Lacy Swiss- dont blenderize those either.

Lipstix had some great suggestions.. Just be careful with scrambled eggs later on. Did you know that 50% of bandsters have problems with scrambled eggs? after about my 2nd fill I could no longer get them down and they are really my only problem food.

The mushies that I ate the most was:

Refried Beans with cheese and light sourcream

tuna with mayo and whole grain crackers (chews up nicely into a very thin mixture)

Any type of canned Soup blended with a bullet.

Those bullets are totally awesome. You just stick it in the pan and it blends up the Soup.

Good luck.

Lipstix had some great suggestions.. Just be careful with scrambled eggs later on. Did you know that 50% of bandsters have problems with scrambled eggs? after about my 2nd fill I could no longer get them down and they are really my only problem food.

The mushies that I ate the most was:

Refried Beans with cheese and light sourcream

tuna with mayo and whole grain crackers (chews up nicely into a very thin mixture)

Any type of canned Soup blended with a bullet.

Those bullets are totally awesome. You just stick it in the pan and it blends up the soup.

Good luck.

These are some great ideas. I have one more week of liquids. I will be so happy when I can move on to the next stage.:tongue2: