Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh no. I wouldn't worry about calling your doctor. He is just trying to shrink your liver. Although that is very important having some Soup a week before surgery is not enough to stress out about.

I would however half the ambien tonight.

Hey all, I'm on day 2 of a liquid diet. My surgeon just said lose 4 pounds. (my periods due the week of surgery so I need to lose an extra five to account for Water gain) He did not give me any specific diet so I'm just doing Unjury Protein Shakes three times a day made with skim milk and some lowfat cheese when I feel like my stomach is going to digest itself. (4 ounces or so a day). I am so hungry. My doctor will not do the surgery if I have not lost the weight. I have lost the four pounds already but know I have to be prepared if I start my period. I have a headache, can't sleep from being hungry, nervous, anxious, tired ect. I have read that this will pass around day four or five. Need all good vibes, prayers or whatever anyone feels comfortable sending:smile:!! I have worked so hard to get to this point. My surgery is scheduled for tuesday the 18th of this month. I just have to make it until then. :lol: I just have to make it until then, I just have to make it until then. Sorry, hunger delerium, LOL

I too am scheduled for surgery on the 18th. I was also due for my period on that day and ended up starting on the 10th. Don't be surprised if it comes early...it must have to do with the fasting. Which really is a relief for me I wasn't happy that I would have to deal with that right after surgery. Things have a way of working out! LOL!:thumbup:

I am on two Protein shakes, plus 2 servings each of sf Jello, popsicles, and broth. Then I can have a 4oz protein and 1/2 c. veggies for dinner. I have followed that diet to a tee. Definitely the first 3 days were killer. Now I keep thinking why in the hell couldn't I do this before? I feel so much better now! Anyway hang in there...I am right on the same timeline as you. Keep your eye on the prize! I get up and walk for 30 minutes every morning and I am having no problem sleeping at night....I practically pass out.

Good luck with you surgery! Mine is scheduled for 1:30...I can't wait to be on the other side finally!

KP

I'm on day 3 of a 10 day pre op diet. 7 days of low cal/low carb eating and the last 3 days are all liquid. I've lost 5.5 lbs so far, but I'm not sure how much of that is from the diet and how much of it is because of the time of the month, kwim? Either way, I don't care. I have a carnation instant Breakfast, 4 oz of 100% fruit juice 2 hrs later. 1oz of meat with salad and crackers or on a piece of whole wheat bread for lunch. 4 oz of juice 2 hrs later, and then 4 oz of lean meat (chicken) with salad and steamed veggies for dinner. I'm allowed another CIB after dinner but I never seem to need it. I just go to sleep.

After I read somewhere that by shrinking the liver the surgery goes faster and there is less gas put into the belly, I decided that I would make sure my liver is the size of a friggin pea by the time I go in next week!

It sounds like Atkins. You could read up on that. Find out what is allowed and stock your kitchen full!

Yes, it's a modified Atkins. However, understanding the restrictions and being able to live them by myself has proven difficult. None of the other members of my household are willing to give up that many carbs. Because they want the cakes, chips, rice, and potatoes I'm not supposed to have, they're sabotaging my chances despite their promises to "provide support in every way possible."

I finally became desperate as of yesterday when my husband came home sick from work and my first thoughts were, "Oh, darn! How will he sabotage my diet now?" (He didn't.) We talked and worked out a compromise that might actually have an effect. Soon as I get off work, I'm going to rearrange the pantries so that the one outside can be locked. All the "contraband" they want can be stored out there, out of my sight and reach with a lock and key. I'll even install a lock on the spare refrigerator and put any perishable contraband out there.

I'll put all the things I can have or don't tempt me here in the convenient pantry and fridge in the kitchen. I've already weaned myself off caffeine, sodas, and most breads. Doggone it, I've sacrificed too much this year to give up now. If it takes drastic measures like locked pantries, then that's what it takes.

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement. :D I will try the chicken, turkey or eggbeaters if I start to feel bad again. Oddly enough, no headache today and I don't feel so weak. And I have amazingly lost 6.5 pounds by day three!! I can't believe it. I was shooting for 10 to give me enough extra for my period weight. It really helps to hear others stories of trial, tribulations, and success in overcoming them. I so get you voiceomt2002! I have had my best friend invite me over for ribs, someone else for pizza, never had so many invites for food. They know I'm on a pre-op diet this week. I think the separate food area idea is a great one, whatever it takes. I don't know why some people are uncomfortable with the idea of the "fat friend" success at weight loss. That is probably a whole separate topic!!!

Good luck with you surgery! Mine is scheduled for 1:30...I can't wait to be on the other side finally!

KP

HI KP!! I have to be there at 10:00AM. I can't wait either!! Thanks for the encouragement!!

Janet

Thanks, Hersheybar. Makes me feel better to know someone understands. DH insisted on going with me to buy the locking hasp for the pantry, and even figured out a way to use an old bike lock we had laying around to lock the spare fridge. (Sigh of relief) I feel so much better knowing the evil carbs are locked out of reach.

However, I didn't want to listen to DH gripe so I'll wait until tomorrow to go buy the shakes, broth, Jello, yogurt, and other items. You'd think he had to starve to listen to him fuss, all because he's got to store his Cookies under lock and key. (Rubbing thumb and forefinger together to simulate playing world's smallest violin.)

It is interesting viewing all the differant diet plans people have prior to surgery. I'm currently on day two of a completely liquid diet that consist of Protein Shakes, and other fluids. I sooo jealous of you people allowed to eat foods even if it is Atkins style. However I have great family and spitiual support, even if I'm grouchy and probably a little difficult to live with. I'm sure I'll get through this for another 12 days.

I have figured out the reason behind the alful, borderline migrain, headaches!!! (for me at least) Any one eles ever had trouble with a sweetner called aspartame? I had been drinking Unjury shakes once a day and Atkins twice a day. I got up the other day with no headache feeling great. I drank the unjury shake and within an hour BOOM, BOOM, BOOM went my head. I found some shakes called myoplex from GNC that were aspartame free, tried one of them, and no problem. I also found out aspartame is the same sweeter in nutisweet and equal. Both of those have always given me a headache as well. The bummer is I have three cannisters of unjury in my cabnet for after surgery! My husband said he wants to keep the unjury because he was going to start a liquid diet like I did since I have lost 11lbs since monday. I don't think he'll make it past the second day personally.:tongue2: He is a fast food junkie.:lol: Anyway I didn't know if it might be bothering anyone else. Good luck to us all!!

I agree. Protein Protein PROTEIN

Southwestern Eggbeater turkey and chicken is the best. I buy a frozen seasoned turkey breast and bake it. That way it only takes me about 2 2 1/2 hours and all the meat is great. No trimming.

Sorry if this question seems ignorant, but what is the significance of protein in a very low calorie diet? I know we need to have a certain amount of protein for general health reasons (obviously), but I'm curious about what a high protein intake does to help with weight loss. I've recently switched from drinking a Meal Replacement shake with 12 grams protein twice a day to a 35g Protein Drink twice a day. I hate the taste of the higher Protein Drink and am missing the sweet chocolate-milk taste of the earlier drink I had, but am willing to stick it out for the remaining 11 days of my pre-op diet if the higher protein content helps me. If it doesn't, then it seems like I might do better just going back on the earlier drink.

Sorry if this question seems ignorant, but what is the significance of Protein in a very low calorie diet? I know we need to have a certain amount of Protein for general health reasons (obviously), but I'm curious about what a high protein intake does to help with weight loss. I've recently switched from drinking a Meal Replacement shake with 12 grams protein twice a day to a 35g protein drink twice a day. I hate the taste of the higher protein drink and am missing the sweet chocolate-milk taste of the earlier drink I had, but am willing to stick it out for the remaining 11 days of my pre-op diet if the higher protein content helps me. If it doesn't, then it seems like I might do better just going back on the earlier drink.

It doesn't seem ignorant. When you are on a low calorie diet you want you body to burn fat, right? Of course, but if you don't get enough protien your body can start breaking down muscle and you don't want that. Protein is food for the muscles. Protein also helps with hunger. That is what I have been told and what I have noticed.