Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new and scheduled for surgery on 11/13. My doctor did not really give me any specific instructions for a pre-op diet, just that I should try to lose 10 lbs before surgery. He suggested trying South Beach Diet. Right now, I am doing Atkins and have lost 3lbs.

How many pounds did you lose before surgery and HOW?

My surgery is tomorrow (11/7) and I have been on a "liquid" pre-op diet for 2 weeks now and as of this morning, I have lost 15 lbs. My surgeon requires this to shrink the liver, etc. and it consists of 4-5 Protein shakes, broth, sugar free Jello, popsicles and 8oz of low carb yogurt (my big treat of the day).

The first 4-5 days were really hard and then a swtich went off and I was no longer hungry. That doesn't mean I don't want to eat something, I am just not physically hungry for some strange reason.

As much as I complained in the beginning, I have to admit that this phase has been worth every minute. It has given me a chance to really evaluate the decision I have made. As many say, this is not an easy fix and these two weeks have proved that already.

Good luck to you!

I have no pre-op diet, I decided to cut out sweets and after 2 days I gained a pound! Now I'm doing Atkins - only been 2 days and I'm too scared to face the scale

My diet has been mostly liquid with a bit of yogurt, cottage cheese, and fruit. I did have a bit of Italian Beef yesterday and today with no bun though. I have lost 8.5 lbs since Tuesday (that's five days).

My surgery is Tuesday morning (Nov. 11).

Hi

My surgery is 12/18,and I start 4 weeks of Medifast next Tuesday. In a strange way I am looking forward to it, kind of makes it all seem real finally.

I do know that I will be having just a bite or two of turkey though on Thanksgiving! Then it's back to business!

Good luck to you...

:(

Well, I start tomorrow on the pre-op diet. Mine is Protein Drinks with 0 fats or sugars and I can have chicken, turkey, and tuna. The chicken and turkey can be put in broth. I also can have sugar free Jello and any 0 calorie foods. I think I can handle it as he didn't put any restrictions on the amounts!!

Hey all, I'm on day 2 of a liquid diet. My surgeon just said lose 4 pounds. (my periods due the week of surgery so I need to lose an extra five to account for Water gain) He did not give me any specific diet so I'm just doing Unjury Protein Shakes three times a day made with skim milk and some lowfat cheese when I feel like my stomach is going to digest itself. (4 ounces or so a day). I am so hungry. My doctor will not do the surgery if I have not lost the weight. I have lost the four pounds already but know I have to be prepared if I start my period. I have a headache, can't sleep from being hungry, nervous, anxious, tired ect. I have read that this will pass around day four or five. Need all good vibes, prayers or whatever anyone feels comfortable sending:smile:!! I have worked so hard to get to this point. My surgery is scheduled for tuesday the 18th of this month. I just have to make it until then. :thumbup: I just have to make it until then, I just have to make it until then. Sorry, hunger delerium, LOL

You could add some eggbeater, chicken, and turkey, and lose more and not feel so horrible!!

You could add some eggbeater, chicken, and turkey, and lose more and not feel so horrible!!

I agree. Protein PROTEIN PROTEIN

Southwestern Eggbeater turkey and chicken is the best. I buy a frozen seasoned turkey breast and bake it. That way it only takes me about 2 2 1/2 hours and all the meat is great. No trimming.

I think I'm going to fail on this diet thing. The dietician put me on a 20 carb a day max diet, and I fail every weekend to stay on it. Saturday and Sunday when my family is home, they're eating "normal" foods and it's right there in front of me. So, I grab.

I'm terrified to step on the scales at the doctor's office next week. I don't think I've lost a pound. In fact, I may have gained.

How will I lose weight through the holidays? Was I insane to try hard-core dieting at this time of year?

Lena

Hi, my surgery is also tomorrow---I did not have to do a pre-op diet until today--just liquids. I am thrilled that tomorrow is the day---many emotions. Best of luck to you---if you want to chat my email is --- it would be nice to talk to someone who is going through the same stuff at the same time. rfitzmartin@msn.com. Thanks, Robin

HELP!!! I am on day 8 of my 2 week fast. I have been doing really good drinking my Protein Shakes and having broth when that is not enough. It sucks but I have stuck to it.

Here is my problem. My PCP has prescribed me ambien for the nights I just cant sleep. So last night I took one and apparently I made myself (under the influenence of this medicine) a can of Campbells chicken Noodle Soup. Should I call my doctor and tell him?? I don't want to reshedule surgery!!:thumbup: