Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

trouble finding port

I went for my 2nd fill and it took the dr 13 time`s to find the port,i was getting a little faint by the end.has any one else had this happen ,and if it will happened every time from know on .6 all up and still have no restriction so i know i will have2 go back for more:unsure:

Unfortunately, yes, this happened to me last month. I had my port changed out because the physician could not aspirate the Fluid after having my band a year. So I insisted that he change the port out. So I get this new port and went in to be filled and they could not find the "sweet spot" on the port to fill it. Man, I was so nervous! All I could think about was: I AM NOT GETTING A THIRD PORT! Eventually he found the sweet spot. The trouble was that I had so much scar tissue around that area that it was hard to find. What my doctor did was made a lot of notes and diagrams in the chart so that next time he would know exactly where to go. I hope this works for him. I haven't gone back since because I have great restriction now. Did your doctor tell you what the problem was? Could he find the port but just not the sweet spot, or could he not find the entire port?

thanks 4 that . he could not find the entire port it took him 13 time i was a mess by the time he called 4 another dr 4 help ,the other dr got it on his 2nd try ,i was very relieved . not looking forward 2 my next fill ,which i do need because i still have no restriction

Now that you had one fill, maybe he/she made notes in the chart on where the port is located. He might get it the first time. Or before you all get started, ask for the other doctor to do it; or if your doctor sticks and misses once, then ask for the other doctor. Have a plan before you go to get your next fill. Also, keep the big picture in mind: you got the band to help you lose weight. Nobody said it would be entirely easy, but no one said it would hurt either. Oh, if you are prescribed any anti-anxiety medication, take one before the next fill. I am only offering ideas that pop in my head as I am writing, so take what you want and throw the rest away. Good luck! Hope next time is a charm.

I had my first fill on November 5th and I must say it was an adventure that I don't want to repeat too often! The fill doctor at the clinic (not my original surgeon) had a lot of trouble finding the port as well. After six quite painful misses he brought in a colleague who was able to get it on the first shot. After all of the palpating of my port area and all of the needles my tummy was quite sore for a couple of days. The doctors made note of the location of the successful fill location on my chart so I am hoping that it will be a one shot deal next fill!icon9.gif

I was supposed to have my first fill on 11/6. My Dr never could find the port. After 3 tries he told me he was not going to try a 4th time. Now I have to go back and have it done under flouro. I think I may get a tatoo say "here it is" with an arrow pointing to it!:rolleyes2:

I was supposed to have my first fill on 11/6. My Dr never could find the port. After 3 tries he told me he was not going to try a 4th time. Now I have to go back and have it done under flouro. I think I may get a tatoo say "here it is" with an arrow pointing to it!:laugh:

hi becky,yes that would be a good idea. lol. i mite suggest that 2 mine next time, my next fill is on 25/this month ,,good luck to us both lol

When I went for my first fill, I passed out. The thing is that I had a dbl mastectomy almost 3 yrs ago, had a port for the expanders for my reconstruction surgery. They pretty much do the same thing, put a needle into the port and fill the expanders to slowly stretch the skin and muscles for the implants. So when I went in for my fill I KNEW exactly what was going to happen. The difference was this, when I had the fills for the expanders they had a PORT FINDER, yes, a port finder, a sweet little instrument that finds the port center they mark it and in 2 seconds the needle is in, you are filled and there is NO poking, prodding or passing out! I have told them that they SERIOUSLY need to invest in one of those, seriously! I didnt have any problem with my 2nd fill, but I still think it is totally un-necessary to have to go thru the poking and prodding if they would just invest in that sweet little tool! :D

I'm glad that i'm not the only one with port troubles. I'm getting very discouraged. The clinic i'm going to is waiting for the software for a "port finder" and it is supposed to be easy to find the port. I've had 3 different dr. do my fill and it is just a matter of technique. When I have finally had enough of the newbies and ask for the experienced dr. it doesn't hurt. This last time I had air in the fill and it made me very sick.

Has anyone ever had a small amount of valium before a fill? I'm thinking of asking for a small amount so I don't freak out. I've been hurt these last two times. It has been 8 days since my last fill and I have been only able to hold down food for the last 3 days.

OMG! I had my first fill three days ago and I still have a huge bruise about the size of a baseball. My surgeon couldn't find my port and was pressing very hard in the area trying to find it. He didn't want to poke me and puncture the tube so he kept searching. I thought I was going to pass out it hurt sooooo bad. After about 15 minutes of agony he finally found it and was able to give me the fill. I was so shaky and in pain when I left. The whole area was swollen and red and now a huge bruise.

And on top of that I don't have much restriction... I will have to go back but they are all full till after christmas. At least that will give me a chance to heal.

...you may want to ask them to take an xray if they have any more issues finding it...that is what my doc assistatn said they do when they have issues. I certainly would have had them do it, when I went for the 2nd fill if they had any issues! Thank God it went ok! Hope your next visit is MUCH better!

I've had some troubles with my port (doctor finding it) as well. The first couple times he fished for it for about 10 minutes. He just kept trying and trying...

Next time I took a felt tip marker and drew a target with a bullseye around it and he found it. At some point I think he stabbed the needle into the tubing or something because I ended up with a leak. I went in on Nov 12 and had a new port installed.

If I took my car to a shop to get a set of new tires and they poked a hole in one of them, they would have to replace it with no charge.:)

Last month it took three tries to get in. New girl at surgery center. First time I ever had an issue. My port has been tilted since surgery, so they must use fluro everytime or I might be there for days each time I go for a fill. I had another fill yesterday, with the new girl again, but this time she got it on the first try. Was a little rougher than the old girl used to be, but I am thankful for just one prick.

I've had some troubles with my port (doctor finding it) as well. The first couple times he fished for it for about 10 minutes. He just kept trying and trying...

Next time I took a felt tip marker and drew a target with a bullseye around it and he found it. At some point I think he stabbed the needle into the tubing or something because I ended up with a leak. I went in on Nov 12 and had a new port installed.

If I took my car to a shop to get a set of new tires and they poked a hole in one of them, they would have to replace it with no charge.:cursing:

...they charged you to redo the port???? NO STINKIN WAY! **faints** How do they get away with that? Did you say something?