Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four months and not losing - am I alone?

Hello All,

I was banded June 25th and have stayed at the same weight (191) for four months. I have gone in 7 times for fills, unfills, you name it. They just cannot seem to find my sweet spot. I finally have started to see the scale move now and am 4 pounds lighter than the day of sugery (187)since I lost 15 pounds pre-op. I am frustrated to say the least. I am very tight now - probably too tight. I get stuck on a lot of things, and if I try and force it down I "PB". I just have to be very careful with what I eat and chew, chew, chew. I should really have a tad taken out, but since they now want to charge me $250 to unfill and try again since I am past my 90 days, I am going to deal with it. I have a Realize Band (doubt that has anything to do with it though). I am just really bummed as I thought I would be a lot farther along by now.

Anyone else have the same experience? One of my good friends had surgery a couple of years ago and she did say that her first four months were a bust too.

Would love to know if this initial stall is normal for some people.:rolleyes2:

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I had my lapband 8 weeks ago. I have only lost 2 pounds since surgery. I have had two fills and am at 3 cc's in a 10 cc band. I am so frustrated. I am working out everyday (something I never did before) eating mostly Protein and 3 Protein Shakes a day, lots of Water. I'm very disappointed. I feel like giving up. If anyone has any idea's, I welcome them......

Hi:

I am a slow loser, there seems to be several of us. I stick to the plan, eat right and the pounds come off, but very slow!

The thing that works the best for me is to keep the carbs low and Protein high... that is very hard right now, but I intend to get back on the Atkins plan, that seems to work the best for me!

Good luck to you all. Stay in touch, I am sure we will all lose and as my mentor Janet says "this is not a race"

hi, i have found what CathyChatts has found - that i have to be very vigilant about what i eat and keep up the exercise. i have also found (and learned from others) that until you get the right adjustment - until you can eat the right (small) amount for your body - the weight doesn't come off. i have had 4 fills and 1 tiny unfill (due to a week of acid reflux) and i feel a lot of restriction - the most i've had yet except for right after surgery when there was swelling.

i find i get into trouble with Snacks. meals are fine for me because of restriction. i try to stick to the 100 calorie snack packs so i know exactly what i'm eating. or if i have Soup for a meal - if it's not low fat - i find i am eating too much of it because it goes down so well- not much restriction for that.

i'm not going up on the scale but not going down all that much right now. i think i need another tiny fill. before surgery i was extremely insulin resistent and could not lose weight at all. i know i'm still fighting that but i'm encouraged by reading that this surgery can improve this condition by 70%.

i find if i have Protein shakes 2-3 times a day i do lose but i read that i shouldn't do that - not the 'right' use of the band. solid foods are best to get the most of the restriction feeling.

i suggest the book 'laproscopic adjustable gastric banding' by Jessi H. Ahroni. it has excellent info on how to make the best of the band. it is on Amazon.< /p>

this does work - under the right conditions - seems to take a while for some of us to find the right conditions. i just started gettign 'wls' magazine (weight loss surgery) - it's mostly for bypass but there is some stuff on banding. i have found a lot of good information in there.

hope this helps!

I was banded on June 30th and went for my second fill on Nov 6th. I had only lost .8 lbs since my first fill. I knew I hadn't lost anything, but my clothes fill a little looser.

I too get frustrated with the scale not moving, but truth be told, I think I am not following everything to a T. I could do better with my food choices and I just started exercising regularly at the gym.

They gave me a fill of .8cc to give me a total of 7 in my 14cc band. I feel fine and even without the fill would still occassionally slime and pb, but was starting to get hungrier.

I need to eat more Protein, I know for sure. My hair is breaking and falling out in larger amounts now. And I also need to get more fluids in. They told me, I was probably not noticing any scale weight loss because I wasn't taking in enough fluids and getting dehydrated. They said I was more than likely retaining Fluid which would account for the larger scale weight, but actually losing.

I ran out of Vitamins and need to hurry and get more, so I am not feeling so tired.

Best wishes to all. I hope we all start losing again soon.

Sincerely,

Stephanie

I was banded in Jan 08...I did great for the first few months. Then I got a fill that was TOO much and got sick, I had to have some take out, since then I have been SCARED to get another fill. I have not gained any weight until now, only like 2 pounds, but I am LOSING NONE to SLOW in the past 4 months. SInce that last fill that was taken out I have only lost 3 lbs. I am discouraged and I know I don't eat as well as I should, some days I only eat one meal and I make it bigger than it should be. I am going Monday for another fill....I wish us all luck, I want to be losing more than I am and get SO DISCOURAGED......

ME TOO!!!

I have been avoiding this support group totally for months. thinking I would see all the June bandster losing heaps.. I see some are .. but I haven't had decent weight loss since leaving Spain in September (that is where I had my surgery and where my surgeon is).. I am in Miami and haven't really gotten into a good routine like I had in Spain with my eating plan.. and I have also not being weighing myself every day.. I didn't bring my scale with me and only just got one this week.. I really found in Spain that weighing everyday kept me on track and helped me make the right choices.. I am lucky that I haven't gained anything.. but I have stayed the same since the beginning of September.

I hope now I have my scale and have the guts to get back on this site and realise that I am not a complete failure that I can get motivated to use my band properly!!..

good luck ALL!!!.. we CAN do it!!..

ME TOO!!!

I have been avoiding this support group totally for months. thinking I would see all the June bandster losing heaps.. I see some are .. but I haven't had decent weight loss since leaving Spain in September (that is where I had my surgery and where my surgeon is).. I am in Miami and haven't really gotten into a good routine like I had in Spain with my eating plan.. and I have also not being weighing myself every day.. I didn't bring my scale with me and only just got one this week.. I really found in Spain that weighing everyday kept me on track and helped me make the right choices.. I am lucky that I haven't gained anything.. but I have stayed the same since the beginning of September.

I hope now I have my scale and have the guts to get back on this site and realise that I am not a complete failure that I can get motivated to use my band properly!!..

good luck ALL!!!.. we CAN do it!!..

Hi kizzie,

How have you been my long lost pal. Don't get discouraged. It is not good to get on the scale everyday anyway, it only makes us more discouraged. Are you losing any inches? Although, I am not losing much weight, I have noticed things are fitting looser than before.

I have missed communicating with you. Hang in there and keep in touch. I am still here for you anytime you need someone to lean on.

hugs,

Stephanie

Just thought I would update. I'm going to have my third fill tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully this will be the one that helps get me jump started. I spoke with the nutritionist this week and I am working on my diet. I thought I was doing well, but after writing it down for a couple of days I realized that there was a lot of room for improvement. I’m just trying to take one day at a time. I do believe this will help me be successful; I just have to stay focused. On a positive note, I have gone down one jean size. That’s pretty exciting!!

Hi kizzie,

How have you been my long lost pal. Don't get discouraged. It is not good to get on the scale everyday anyway, it only makes us more discouraged. Are you losing any inches? Although, I am not losing much weight, I have noticed things are fitting looser than before.

I have missed communicating with you. Hang in there and keep in touch. I am still here for you anytime you need someone to lean on.

hugs,

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie!!..

How is the cute golf outfit!???.. great to hear from you.

I was doing so well until I left Spain and the security of my doctor being there whenever I needed him (almost once a week because of my complications)..I haven't had a fill since Sept.. and I do get hungry BUT I am pb'ing and sliming A LOT.. and will raise my hand and say I have CRAVED chocolate like crazy these past three or four weeks and eaten far too much. I am lucky I haven't gained any weight.. but then the chocolate I have eaten has really been all I have been able to keep down!.. (not good I know!!.. thank the lord for vitamins)..

I probably should have done this weeks ago but I am going back on liquids tomorrow. I think my poor tummy needs a break. I haven't had any losses even with all the throwing up.. (well not really throw up just blocked feeling and bringing that up).. .. anyway.. I am not particularly hungry but I am head hungry and need to keep motivated to not eat for the wrong reasons. I had a great routine in Spain and would like to get back on track. ..

I hear what you are saying about the scale.. but now i have my scale back again I am weighing every day and it is helping me mentally to make the right choices.. even if it is to not GAIN! ... It keeps me positive and motivated..I guess it works for me and not for others..

HOPING to get to 40 pounds off by Christmas. I see so many 'Junesters' are at 60+.. and they had surgery AFTER me !.. quite disheartening for me... (Wonderful for them and crikey I would LOVE to be so motivated!.. hats of to them).. but I am mad that I haven't been able to do more.. I know I had many complications but that excuse is a few months past its sell by date! lol..

anyway.. chat soon and keep in touch!!!..

Louise :thumbdown:

I am so glad it's not just me. I've haven't lost anything for at least 3 months now, but I haven't gained either. So maybe this is just a plateau the Docs talk about. I always thought it would come later, but I don't know.

hi there, i think i'm officially stuck at 40lbs down. i get that painful stuck feeling a lot - don't PB tho (just slime). had it today at lunch and barely ate anything.

i just went on a cruise and didn't gain which to me is a successful cruise! the band didn't let me get too carried away with food there. have another tirp coming up - this time for work. i'm a little worried about that one because i won't have as much choice about what to eat (food brought in for us, etc.).

after the work trip, i should be able to hunker down and get the scale going down - i'm up'g my exercise to 45 minutes as that seems to budge it some but i'm doing 30 minutes consistently - not 45 (cardio).

hang in there! this lull can be maddening but it has to pick up soon!

ps stephanie do you see a nutritionist?

ohhh my gosh, i am soooo glad to see all the posts, i am having such a hard time losing weight. i am not gaining but dang the scale will not freakin move for like 4 mths now. i have to see my surgeon on march 2nd. i have never really had restriction i have 5.5cc in 14cc band. two fills. i can eat anything and i seriously have to not chew or take a large bite to feel even a slight uncomfortablness. I am so worried. My doc last time he saw me was not happy cause i hadn't lost any and now 2 mths later i will be going back with hardly any loss. im trying to work out almost 5 days a week. I do 2 miles on the tredmill(i can now jog a complete mile in 12 min 45 sec) then i do some weights. My clothes fit way better but the lbs just wont' come off. Im really very sad when i think about it. But im not gonna give up. Thank you all for your honesty and letting me know im not alone. I know we all will eventually meet our goal. xoxoxoxo

hi army! it sounds like you don't have enough restriction! the band only works with restriction. i wonder why you've only had 2 fills? without good restriction, we are fighting the same battle we were fighthing before getting the band! i know for me that didn't go well for the last 10 years!

i think i had a good fill level for a short while until it got overfilled slightly and caused acid reflux that i can't seem to shake since october. i've had a sore throat all day today - deep down in my esophagus. drives me nuts. so it's just as important not to get overfilled! i had some gurgling going on when i drank and i should have known that was not right but i kept it for a couple of weeks without knowing better. have been going thru little unfill, ok feel better so do a fill, oh, unfil again, ok, fill. sheesh.

seems like we have to find our sweet spots with our bands! once that happens, from what i hear from everyone who's losing, the weight comes off.

this sure can be a long process! hang in there! those who are losing are very inspirational to me in that i feel hopeful i'll get there and those who feel stuck are inspirational to me too for sticking with it and plugging away at good habits that should serve us well in the long run.

we'll get there. sounds like you have some good habits and just need more help from the band. i wish your dr. would be more understanding and realize you are probably under-filled and need his help not unfair judgement.

ohhh my gosh, i am soooo glad to see all the posts, i am having such a hard time losing weight. i am not gaining but dang the scale will not freakin move for like 4 mths now. i have to see my surgeon on march 2nd. i have never really had restriction i have 5.5cc in 14cc band. two fills. i can eat anything and i seriously have to not chew or take a large bite to feel even a slight uncomfortablness. I am so worried. My doc last time he saw me was not happy cause i hadn't lost any and now 2 mths later i will be going back with hardly any loss. im trying to work out almost 5 days a week. I do 2 miles on the tredmill(i can now jog a complete mile in 12 min 45 sec) then i do some weights. My clothes fit way better but the lbs just wont' come off. Im really very sad when i think about it. But im not gonna give up. Thank you all for your honesty and letting me know im not alone. I know we all will eventually meet our goal. xoxoxoxo

With only two fills, 5.5cc in a 14cc band, no restriction to speak of, plus no weight loss in four months, you need a fill (imo).

My doctor recommended a test to see if you have good restriction. Two ounces of good Protein (ie baked chicken breast) and 2 oz of a firm cooked veggie (ie broccoli). If you're hungry in less than three or four hours, you need a fill. Of course, that's his opinion, and your doctor's opinion may very well differ.

The fact that you haven't had a fill in several months, and you never had good restriction, the effectiveness of your band is limited. I paid out of pocket for my band, and I want my appetite to go from the lion to lamb like I saw in the brochure. :crying:

Edited by kiz