Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stopped Smoking

I ws told to quit smoking by my Doctor, so I did. Yesterday, I am really having a really hard time., I am being a bitch and I cannot seem to shake it, I am trying not to eat everything in the house but I am having trouble, any advice?

I am scheduled Monday morning for the surgery so medication is out of the question.

Hi...I had to stop smoking before surgery also... a month before.. it was really tough but it is so worth it!... just keep telling yourself that you have to stop for YOU!.. its really important!...

I wish I could say I didn't go back to it.. but I can't... maybe one day soon I will be completely smoke free....

But I am down 22lbs... oh happy day!...

I too had to quit smoking a month before surgery but because I did smoke I had to do extra pulmonary stuff and it pushed my surgery back a couple of months. I have been smoke free since January. I did the patch. I found them to be extremely helpful, dont get me wrong I still had bad days and some extreme cravings but the point is they were just a day here and there so I was able to get through them.

j.s.

banded 04/08/05

I Have Quit Smoking For Over A Month Now....i Also Quit Drinking Soda At The Same Time!!!! Am I Crazy?? No Nicotine And No Caffeine....and Im Still Sane!!! I Dont Know How Physically Active You Are But I Have Found That Walking 2 Miles A Day, Drinking Water, And Not Thinking About It Has Helped!!! Good Luck To You!! Now Medication Wise, Wellbutrin Is The Best. I Work For An Insurance Company And All The Nurses Told Me That Is The Best To Get On...its An Anti Depressent And It Will Help You Quit!!!

I quit smoking on February 21st - almost 5 months. Wooohooo!!!! It gets easier as time passes. Just remind yourself of that. I stopped drinking coffee for the first couple of months also as they went hand in hand for me. I also keep a list of the reasons why I quit with me. That helps sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't. It just stinks to have to sit and wait for the urge to pass. I used the mint flavored nicotine gum in the beginning. It really tastes like gum - not like those other types that taste gross. That helped a lot.

I'm a nurse. While I was in school a few years ago I observed a hernia repair operation (relatively minor surgery) on a man who was a heavy smoker.During his surgery his oxygen level dropped and the surgery was stopped until he was stable. They gave him high concentration of oxygen via the respirator and he was fine but it was quite scarey to watch. It was then that i realized how important it is to stop smoking before surgery. I don't mean to scare you but they tell you for a reason. Think of that the next time you want a cig. More power to ya!! You can do it!! BTW as for the bitch part. Don't worry about it - I was too. My poor husband!! That passes too!! :)

Hope to Be Banded Soon...Daniela

Guest dph1474

I am a closet smoker. I smoke less than 1/2 a pack a day. My surgery date is 7/22. I have not told my doctor and I quit 2 days ago. I had my gallbladder out (emergency) and was smoking then, but no problems during surgery as far as I know.

Since I have quit 2 weeks before surgery.....can the doctor tell? I can't tell her because.....I have asthma too!!! I know, I know how stupid. But I quit and I am done.

The doctor knows I have asthma but does not know I smoke. I just don't even want to mention it!!!! I am praying that it won't be an issue during surgery!!

My internal doc that I have had over the past 2 years does not even know!!!

I think I was suppose to stop earlier, My date was moved up and I had to prepare myself to quit. I really, really love to smoke. I know I cannot go back to it. My kids and friends do not know that I smoke and I don't smoke at work so that part will be OK, the drive to and from to work, store ... will be hard. My husband says he will stop as soon as he is sure that I have. ( I have quit many times before)

Lie to your friends, your family and even yourself, but don't lie to your Dr. about smoking! There is a big issue with smoking and surgery. It is much more risky for Dr.s to operate on people that smoke. I don't know what the time frame is, but I wouldn't chance it. The anestesiologist (sp?) will really need to know.

Everyone else can weigh in, but I just really think you need to be honest with him/her.

By the way - I was an occasional smoker prior to surgery - I just had my first one today - 9 days post op - icccckkkkkk. Did not sit well with me. Maybe it was because I almost always had a cocktail with my smoke and the juice just didn't match up, but I am pretty happy that I didn't like it!!!!

Good luck!

i quit 2 days before my surgery when i had my pre op and the anathesiologist scared me...i had no intensions of quitting for good , but the night before my surgery i said to my husband that if i could make it without smoking until i came home from the hospital i was going to try to quit...i made it and havent smoked since... i think what also got me was that all my tests came back good..like my chest x-ray which i was very worried about......i think i just said if everything is ok still i better stop now...it has been almost 3 months and i cant believe it... and the best part is i quit smoking and LOST 30 pounds... how many people can say that LOL!!

I was told to stop before surgery. I did but, haven't been able to stop since. I find myself craving a smoke more than food! When I stopped the dr. gave me Patches and they helped a lot. I think now though its more of a deprivation thing. how many addictions can you stop at one time and NOT go nuts? It is very very important to stop before your operation. It affects your breathing terribly during surgery. Even if you only stop for a few weeks, ask your dr. for a prescription and do it for your self! wellbutrin did not help me. It kept me up all night and if I was up, I was snacking putting a monkey wrench in the weight loss requirements.. The patches helped me. of course, everyone is different. Good luck!

I have made it 2 days without a cigarette and haven't killed anyone. I am having only liquids because tomorrow is MY DAY!!!!! My doctor knows about me smoking I would never lie to him, I figure he could tell anyway, My point about being a closet smoker is that I will no longer have to hide. It's almost a relief. I guess that if I need some medication I can start taking it after the surgery. Right now I am stressing about tomorrow.

Gosh, I am so envious of all of you that have the will power to accomplish so many trying things at one time. Way to go!

Guest dph1474

I am so afraid that the surgery would then be cancelled if I said something at this point. Everything is paid for, non-refundable travel arrangements etc....(I am a self pay).

Several months ago, I had my gallbladder out with no complications at all.

With any type of anesthesia I have had they always give me a breathing treatment immediately when I wake but I have never had any issues.

I am scared about telling the truth too because then it could be documented and my PCP will know then etc...

A lot of doctors tell you to quit at least two weeks before anyway right??????