Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Family Member Said I can Do It On my Own

The lapband isn't going to stop you from eating KFC or halloween cupcakes. Just because you can eat somthing doen't mean you should. I know it's hard because I used to eat everything in sight until I went to the seminar...then I really started trying to pay attention to what I was consuming, even starting writing down what I was eating...The lapband is a tool and it's a life time comitment...Good luck :smile2:

Thank you for words of encouragement. I understand that this a tool and this is the tool I need to help me out with the push. I will have to change my outlook on certain foods and try to eat right again. I want to try this before I decide to go with the life change. I know that I will be happier if I do decide to get it. I already went to a seminar in 2007 and have the info, so I know what is expected, I just need to gradually incorporate in my lifestyle now.

Hi

That why I'm not telling anyone when I have my surgery.......this is just a suggestion have your lapband surgery,but don't let your family member know you did it remember it's someday surgery so when the weight began to come off then he/she will think you are doing it alone,but if that family member live with you that may not work.:smile2:

My mom told me that if I didn't want to tell people, but they asked me why I was so sore or anything like that that I could tell them I had my gallbladder removed for medical reasons. She said the recovery time is about the same and that it's an in and out surgery...just an idea incase :) Good luck.

My mom told me that if I didn't want to tell people, but they asked me why I was so sore or anything like that that I could tell them I had my gallbladder removed for medical reasons. She said the recovery time is about the same and that it's an in and out surgery...just an idea incase :cursing: Good luck.

LOL that was what I was thinking. I already had my gllbladder removed and I was going to say that I have been having complications where it was taken out and they had to go back in. I don't know if that makes sense, but I was going to try it.:)

Have you had your appendix out :) lmao :cursing:

You could always use the "female" surgery little white lie, as well. If you're female, that is. :)

That's what I might say when I have it done.

A lot of obese people have a hiatal hernia, which can sometimes be repaired at the same time as the band.

Also, a hiatal hernia CAN reoccur..........do not say appendix or gall bladder, because what if you really do need it removed in a few months? You will have to make up another lie.

I too am dealing with the fear and skepticism that my family is displaying. For the 1st time in my life - I just put my foot down, told everyone how excited I was to have the surgery, explained that I am informed and so ready for it - I think my positive outlook really helped them to accept my decision. My surgery is in 4 days - inside I am nervous but I am very excited too. My husband feels I should give diet and excercise one more shot - he just doesn't get it that I've given it "one more shot" dozens of times. I need this for myself - I'm doing it-and that's my decision. I am lucky that my insurance is paying 100% and my doctor and hospital are 15 minutes away. I just told my parents and my kids this week-didn't want them to worry for weeks before the surgery. I've lost about 9 pounds on the Atkins Diet-I can't believe how much better I feel just losing those few pounds-I just came upstairs and didn't have to stop at the top and catch my breath! I'm so ready to feel better, look better, be healthier! Do what you feel in your heart is the right decision for you - and stick to your guns and be positive, positive, positive - your family and friends will help you because they love you! Good luck...

kls

Iv done it all. I dont think I over ate, but got the lapband after being back and forth about it because I decided it would be kinda like training wheels, there for if I fell off my diet.

I was supposed to have a 3rd fill today and cancelled. Im not sure I need to get so tight I have trouble eating foods and taking pills at this point. Right now I am making good food choices and walking about 4 miles a day, so Im losing without any help that I can tell from my lapband.

I was a sweet eater with insulin problems and gained from eating wrong, not from eating large meals. I think a lot depends on your own eating habits, it doesnt help much if you are a grazer, stuff mostly goes right thru the lapband I hear.

I will go in and get tighter eventually, just dont need it right now I think, but if I had waited to get the lapband when I needed it, by then I wouldnt have qualified. Doing liquids after getting the bands gave me a start to losing too, I was having trouble starting on my own.

I want to be thin again, not just under 200 lbs, so I have a long ways to go. I lost 9 lbs before surgery, and now down almost 40 more lbs, the slow way, but losing steadily, just not fast.

Right now Im eating regular food. If everyone wants a sub, I share it, if they get BBQ I share it. Once I have another fill, I doubt I can eat bread or subs or a lot of foods. I have a teensy bit of resistance now and not keen on the fill when something is close to getting tight.

Surgery is a drastic step. I was self pay, and did it, and not sure its the right answer for me. I can see where your cousin is coming from, but mentally it helps, because I know I can fall back on it.

I too am dealing with the fear and skepticism that my family is displaying. For the 1st time in my life - I just put my foot down, told everyone how excited I was to have the surgery, explained that I am informed and so ready for it - I think my positive outlook really helped them to accept my decision. My surgery is in 4 days - inside I am nervous but I am very excited too. My husband feels I should give diet and excercise one more shot - he just doesn't get it that I've given it "one more shot" dozens of times. I need this for myself - I'm doing it-and that's my decision. I am lucky that my insurance is paying 100% and my doctor and hospital are 15 minutes away. I just told my parents and my kids this week-didn't want them to worry for weeks before the surgery. I've lost about 9 pounds on the Atkins Diet-I can't believe how much better I feel just losing those few pounds-I just came upstairs and didn't have to stop at the top and catch my breath! I'm so ready to feel better, look better, be healthier! Do what you feel in your heart is the right decision for you - and stick to your guns and be positive, positive, positive - your family and friends will help you because they love you! Good luck...

kls

I was talking about my cousin that is trying to talk me out of it, but when you mentioned your husband, I was like my husband don't want me to have it either, but he want me healthy. He knows that I have tried everything and waisted a lot money and he does not want me to have surgery. He said he don't want anything to happen to me. I understand his concern, but I am healthy otherwise. I do not have diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure or anything like that and I don not smoke, drink occasionally, but other than that I am healty, I just want to do this for me, because I failed at everything else.