Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Family Member Said I can Do It On my Own

Hello everyone,

I had a long talk with my cousin and she think that I can lose weight on my own. She said I move around a lot but I make the wrong choices with food. I went to Jenny Craig and weighed in at 278.8. I am averaging about a pound a week, I am losing weight but it is not enough. I do not want a quick fix, I just want to finally lose weight. I want to be under 190, not for sure yet.

She also has a friend that has the labband and had difficulty with it and she had to be hospitilized, I am not for sure why, but she is scared for me to get it. She said that her freind is not as happy as she was before she got and sort of regret it.

What do you think?

I think that everyone is different. I did Jenny Craig, Weightwatchers, LA Weightloss, pills, Atkins...on some of them I lost weight...on Jenny Craig I lost 57 pounds...as soon as I stopped eatting their food all of it and then some came back! So far I love my band. Maybe your cousins friend didn't eat right with it or maybe she thought it would do all of the work...everyone is different. In the end it is your life and your health. Only you can make the decision to make this change...It's not easy, but really nothing in life worth having comes easy!!! Good luck and I hope that all goes well for you.

I have only been banded for 2 months, so i'm no expert.

I personally have no problem losing weight, its keeping it off that is the problem. In the past it didn't seem to matter how much I ate I just always craved more and could always eat more. With the band I just don't feel ravenous like before and can't eat as large portions like before,I used to be able to eat a family size pizza, couple glasses of red wine and have desert, a large piece of cake never used to touch the sides so I would have two, I just never felt full. So I reckon go on your gut instinct, listen to what everyone has to say both good and bad and then make your own mind up.

i dont think losing the weight initially is the problem for most of us

its keeping it off i too have done jenny, WW, Atkins, diet pills, Lite n easy you name it I have tried it....always lost weight....but always went off it and then back it came with friends

so its a decision only you can make

i was banded 13 months ago and have lost well and yes its hard work....this isnt a magic cure....but if you follow the rules and have will power and when you can manage get some exercise too then you will be succesful

sure most of us have a few bad days on the way....but they are soon forgotten when you start to look and feel so much better

and also if your band is working well and you find good restriction you wont have too much hunger either....

so only you can decide

good luck

Leeanne

The lap band is not for everyone but it is wrong for your cousin to conclude that it didn't work for so-and-so and that means it won't work for you.

I had to do a lot of research and soul searching before I made the decision to get banded. You have to understand how the band works and that you will never be able to go back to your old eating habits. You have to be able to retrain yourself to eat properly and maybe even give up some foods. You have to go into this understanding that it is not an easy and quick fix. It takes work and patience but if you are willing and able, then there are plenty of people here that are proof that the band can work.

There have also been some people that came here virtually clueless and some who just were not willing to give up their old ways. Some didn't understand that they had to do their part and watch how they ate and keep up with appointments and fills. Some are just too addicted to the food to be willing to try and make it work.

I have lost around 50 pounds four or five times in my adult life. It was so hard and I was always hungry, I would eventually lose my willpower and the weight always came back with a venegence. But this time is so different. I am not hungry, I do not obsess over food, calories, fat, and carbs. I am in total control and there is no doubt in my mind that I can do this for life.

But NOBODY BUT YOU can decide whether it is right for you. Don't let your cousin or anyone else discourage you.

Edited by Jodi_620

You know I too actually thought like your cousin for the longest of times that I could do it on my own. I just needed to buckle down on myself and do it. But had I done it? No. And why not?

I have not been banded yet over the last year I had come to the realization that I can't do it on my own. I have learned that this is not a quick fix and that it is a lot of hard work.

Most of all this is a decision that you need to make for youself. Remember this is your life and not anyone elses. What works for you may not work for me but then again it might. We just do not know. Don't let your cousin worry you about this.

This is why I haven't told most people, including my family, about my lapband.

I fall into the catagory (the very unpopular catagory around here) of people who believe that most of us can manage our weight on our own. I know I can lose weight - I have before (once I lost from 384 to 248 in 6 months... didn't keep it off). I made a choice of lapband because I wanted an extra tool to help me in the long run.

But lapband is not a solution... it is just a tool. Many people don't understand the difference. With lapband, you still have to work at it. Every pound lost is still because I make the right choices not to eat high-fat foods, eat smaller portions, skip the ice cream (Ice cream goes through the band really easy, by the way - again making a choice).

It is a tool that can help if there is commitment to lose weight.

So I advise... ignore your cousin, and listen to yourself. If you are ready to commit to losing weight, and you think that a tool that will help control your portions so that you can make better choices is the way for you, then go for it.

This is the support that I need. I have read a post with a question"why wouldn't you tell people about getting the lap band" something similar to that, and now I know why. This is a decision that I have to make on my own and I really appreciate the support from al of you, you understand where I am coming from, and furthermore my cousin has never been fat in her life. Now on the other hand she has a sister which is my best cousin that is over 300 pounds and feel that she need more than me because of family history of overweight people on their father side. So she think jusrt because I don't have family history of obesity in my family that I am not dire need of the surgery.

If I do decide to go with this I will not say anything else about it, I would have to keep it to myself.

There are certain risk with any surgery you have.

My sister was dead set against me getting the band. She lost weight with diet and exercise and manages to keep it off for the most part, although she could stand to lose 10-20 pounds. Anyway, once she saw that I was really loosing good she became an advocate. She even went so far as to recommend it to her overweight friends when they would confide in her about their weight problems.

Do what's right for you. For me the advantage that the band gave me was that I was not always fighting that insatiable hunger. What a difference a day makes....

Best of luck to you.

Steve said it wonderfully. The lap band is just a tool we use. I think everyone has lost weight, even significant amounts, before choosing to be banded. We just had problems keeping it off. We CAN lose weight on our own, and we DO with the band, because we choose every bite of food that goes into our mouths. The difference for me is, I am completely satisfied with about 1/3 of the amounts that I ate prior to surgery.

I still eat most foods that I want, with exceptions, of course. I have eaten icecream since surgery on 3 occasions, each time I ate one scoop. I would have NEVER had one scoop prior to surgery. I chose to stop at one and I was satisfied. I had pizza last week. I ordered a 10 inch ham on whole wheat and I ate one slice instead of almost the whole thing.

If you understand you are still going to have to work, but that the band will make it easier to not feel like you are dieting (I never feel like I am starving anymore) then the band is probably a good choice for you. Go to a seminar, listen to what they have to say, lurk and post on the forum, and then make a decision. If someone around you isn't supportive, then don't discuss your decision with them. Only YOU know whether or not this is a good choice for you. GOOD LUCK!:)

MOLLY!! So proud of you!! Smart, smart...listen to your gut on who you tell/who you don't.

I have a cousin who has ALWAYS been heavy. When I mentioned LB to her she was like...OMG, you're so tiny!!!!!! You don't need that!!! Her eyes are broken, first of all. For my body, I am carrying around plenty more than I should...and second I had this surgery PRIMARILY to put my severe hormone problems in remission. I never told her I went through with the surgery. I only want postive energy around me as I proceed with this journey.

~~some people will NEVER get it~~

We are here for you and support you which ever way you choose!!!

GOOD LUCK!!! :)

Notice how not all of the contestants on the "Biggest Loser" have kept their weight off. It's a struggle and with the band and proper restriction, you can not only lose the weight healthily, but keep it off. If you work the band, it will work for you! Don't let others place fear in you. Do what your heart tells you to do. I am enjoying my band and to date have lost well over 25 lbs in less than 2 1/2 months. Good luck!

I am so addicted to food it's rediculous. Yesterday I ate Kentucky Fried chicken, I had a thigh, wing and turned ariund and ate a drum stick along with mashed potatoes and gravy a biscuit and cole slaw. I also ate at least four Holloween cupcakes and my son told me not to do it because he know that I will get depressed sonner or later. This is pure greedy and I am on Jenny Craig lol. :thumbup: I know that I can't do it on my own. I have been trying for the longest time eith diets and diet pils and have kept the weight or lost much.:biggrin:

I am so addicted to food it's rediculous. Yesterday I ate Kentucky Fried chicken, I had a thigh, wing and turned ariund and ate a drum stick along with mashed potatoes and gravy a biscuit and cole slaw. I also ate at least four Holloween cupcakes and my son told me not to do it because he know that I will get depressed sonner or later. This is pure greedy and I am on Jenny Craig lol. :lol: I know that I can't do it on my own. I have been trying for the longest time eith diets and diet pils and have kept the weight or lost much.:teeth_smile:

The lapband isn't going to stop you from eating KFC or halloween cupcakes. Just because you can eat somthing doen't mean you should. I know it's hard because I used to eat everything in sight until I went to the seminar...then I really started trying to pay attention to what I was consuming, even starting writing down what I was eating...The lapband is a tool and it's a life time comitment...Good luck :)

yes as said our bands are just a tool......your biggest friend is always going to be will power....our bands dont stop u from making bad choices.....maybe try and stick to the 80/20 rule.....if you eat healthy 80% of the time then the remaining 20% you can have a treat

this works well for a lot of people...i still have treats.....but as the word implies its a treat....and only a small one...

this isnt an easy road at all....and it never will be....our triggers that made us comfort eat etc they are still with us....we have to find the skills to either turn off these triggers or find other coping options rather than food.....it isnt easy....just do the best you can

Leeanne:lol: