Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any bingers cured after surgery?

I was a binge eater and now I very rarely have the desire to do that. As a general rule, food no longer has the hold on me it used to. I'm just not that interested anymore. I supposed it's largely mental, but for me I know there is a physiological aspect as well. I just don't get hungry like I used to. For example, we had a church conference last night and I was in charge of food. I made all kinds of yummy things, but I just wasn't that interested. I had a few bites and that was it. Before the band I would have eaten until I was stuffed. On the occasion when I do forget, the band is there to remind me that I can't eat like that anymore. I have never felt this "normal" about food or this in control. What a blessing!!

Was cured of binging until I had to have the band unfilled. Four months later and I've gained 20 pounds.

I have a small band (4cc) and even with no fill I have some restriction, but I can still eat way more than I used to.

Well... I have some updates to post. Gained about five pounds since having all restriction out. I am over the initial urge to binge on everything in site as I was when I could first eat again. I am now only about ten lbs less than when I had my surgery 14 months ago. So much for the miracle tool I had dream of (and paid $9000 for). I am a hypnotherapist and had a colleague do a session on me this weekend to make me not like chocolate and by george it worked! The only problem is I still want something sweet, just not chocolate. I'll have to just list sugar at my next session! I know that is what's keeping me fat, not from eating badly all day. Even with the band filled, I just needed to quit on the sugar because my portion sizes were fine. Agh... will I ever know skinny jeans again?

I got on the scale today and GASP!! I am almost back up to my pre-surgery weight. Can anyone tell what I'm doing wrong? Can someone tell me exactly what to do for one sample day? Eatinig and excercising? Everyone is losing so much weight and NOTHING is coming off for me. Please help!!

My urge to binge went away almost completely . . . I just wasnt hungry. It would occasionally pop-up on a rare occasion but usually on a baby scale since I had no capacity.

However, I later discovered that the binge monster only goes into hiding. After an emergency unfill . . . I was HUNGRYYYY and food again became an obsession where it was barely a secondary thought before. I have discovered that binging for me is both psychological and physical.

I would say that the band when I am restricted definitely cures it by 95%.

just wanted to send you my support, liz. i hope things improve for you!!!

I'm still strugglng with binging. It's better, in that I can't eat the mass amounts. And if I keep myself busy it's not so bad. That said it's still a struggle, but I'm not at my sweet spot yet either. Maybe in time I'll tame that monster.

teri

I'm soooooo worried about this....I'm a closet eater and I could just eat until I'm sick. I really hope that when/if I get the band that it will help me with this constant food obsession.

Currently I'm starting the process, but I'm just trying to get all the info I can before I actually proceed with the surgery.

This board is so informative and it's so nice to know that others react to food like I do...

I'm at 232lbs at 5'8 and when I weighed 132lbs I thought I was fat then...OMG how things have changed!!

Di

I did great when I had great restriction soon after the surgery. No cravings, no desire to munch. So I'm hoping to get that back, at least to some degree.

teri

Lets see if I got this correct: you do not have a fill at this time and you were unfilled due to swelling? From what I understand being totally unfilled is much the same as not being banded. If I were in your shoes it would be very easy for me to regain all that lost weight. Don't be down on yourself for that!

I am a binge eater. I can always be good during day time, but then the monster is unleashed towards afternoon evening. I can't get full. I eat all the wrong foods because I get discouraged, knowing there is no control. An addiction that I felt powerless over. I know the eating is emotional, but there is a physical componant to it. That hunger, that obession with food, when will I eat again? What will I eat? Then the loathing myself when I overate. The fear that I was going to eventually die from this......I felt lost. So I had the surgery and after the initial restriction, I realized I was back to my old habits again.

I had my surgery June 24th. I had 4 fills and honestly other then not being able to take big bites I felt little difference then I did pre-surgery. I got stuck once with chicken and so I was very careful to chew my food. I'm sure this helped me eat less, but NOT a lot less. I didn't have the totally unabashed cravings as in the past but fairly close and certainly was eating too much to loose weight. And I was trying, really trying. I wore my bodybugg, I decided to diet. Again good during the day and then night came and I would blow it. I will admit there was more control but still I was obsessed with food. I maintained my loss, but just. I would loose 5 lbs, binge eat (with the band and 4 fills) and gain the 5 lbs back.

Then last Monday a miracle occured. I got my 5th fill. And walla, like magic, or rather for me a miracle I no longer have cravings. Its weird......I tell you weird. I am very emotional about this because I didn't think this was possible for me. I also had begun wondering if the band would do anything for me. Having fought food my entire life. For the absolute first time I do not think about food 24/7, I am not hungry. I eat for nutrition. I NEVER could understand people who could do this. My mind just did not work this way and I didn't think it was possible. I am eating 3 SMALL meals a day w/o Snacks and feeling happy and satisfied. I have no desire to binge. I do not feel hungry. Strange for me, exhilerating and for the first time in 10 years I have hope of being healthy and "normal". HOPE is a big thing when you have lost it.

Please don't give up. Call your bariatric team. They will know what to say to you. Do you have a support group? If you do go to the meetings. Find a mentor.

I hope this helped. 2 weeks ago I felt much like you described. I knew I was on my way to regaining all of my weight. Today I'm buzzing with excitment for my future......there is a joy that is hard to describe. I have control over this hideous monstor. You will get there! :thumbup:

Edited by Luu2008

Lulu...

Your post has really hit home with me about the eating thing and I'm so glad that you seem to have it under control right now. Your post has put my mind at ease about whether or not the band will work for me and I'm sure it will.

I think about food all of the time and eat if I'm hungry or not..actually I'm not sure if I really know what hungry is.

I'm looking forward to this journey and pray that it's the right one for me...

Thanks for sharing!!

Di