Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I walked into the gym! (long)

Believe it or not, this was HUGE for me! I got a membership through a job I had that offered serious discounts at 24 hour fitness. I have the delux plan, which is any day, any location in the state... at a super low price.

Because of this, I haven't canceled, despite the fact that in FOUR YEARS I have not set foot in the gym! Yes it was a HUGE waste of money for 4 years, but I knew if I canceled and wanted to join on my own later, it would be triple or quadruple the price...(I'm paying less than 20 a month!)

Well, I have been swimming like a maniac- and paying to go to the public pool despite the fact that there is a pool at the gym!

I didn't want to go to the gym pool because of huge windows that face the weight room. (I had gone to the gym 4 years ago when I was on Optifast and went 6 days a week back then, losing 50 lbs, but never getting to goal.)

But the public pool close to my house is closed on Sunday and the others have short hours on Sunday and weren't open after 12:00. I really wanted to work out. In fact, I felt like my day wasn't going to be complete unless I did. (Whoo-hoo on my attitude shift!)

So I decided to go to the 24 Hour Fitness. I walked in, changed, hopped in the pool- and low and behold, while I was the FATTEST person there, I was among the best swimmers! Most people in the pool were just sort of putzing about, not swimming laps at all. One guy was actually teaching his GF how to swim.

I was very proud of myself. In my year of counseling pre-surgery, I never could get myself to go, despite the fact that we talked about it a lot. I am going to try and go more often now. But not to swim- the Water was too cold, the lanes weren't divided up well (people were haphazardly swimming wherever they wanted) and there wasn't enough clorine in the Water, because it just smelled (and unfortunately) tasted funny. However the locker room is 100% nicer than the public pool.

Now I am going to try the yoga classes there again. On top of paying for the membership and my pool fees, I've been paying to go to yoga classes at a sweet little studio within walking distance of my house. I like the "feel" of the studio better, but for the price, I'd rather go at the gym.

I am feeling so much better and so is my body. I can actually feel my ARM MUSCLES (biceps) now!! I love, love, love working out!

Great job!!! Now if you can rub some of the motivation off on me I would be posting something like this great post.

No really I am going today to the gym...I have promised myself! Good luck and keep on truckin...

Great job!!! Now if you can rub some of the motivation off on me I would be posting something like this great post.

No really I am going today to the gym...I have promised myself! Good luck and keep on truckin...

Way to go girl!! Good on ya! And I too would take some extra motivation if you are sharing! hehe. I am going to the gym today to check out their membership packages though so hopefully they will be decent because I need to get my butt in gear if I am going to continue on my road of trying to join the police force in Canada (RCMP).

Way to go, littlefroggy. Yes indeed, the first step IS the most difficult. I too didn't want to go to any club - felt I would be the object of great laughter, derision and snide comments from the lycra-clad perfect bodies. Well, I knew I would have to get over it, and I did. Im still not 'comfortable', but really no one is looking at anyone else, or caring about what they do or look like. So, I got over it and go.

littlefroggy - your story sounds a bit familiar. DH and i had our gym membership the whole time while we were gaining weight. paid the monthly fees - but didn't put one step in for 4+yrs.

i also waited 3 months after banding before i called our 24hr fitness to see if our membership was still "valid"....while i was just walking my neighborhood - when i could have just started in the gym right away...

congrats on walking into the gym and working out!!!